Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Considering the purchase of a TJ Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/considering-the-purchase-of-a-tj-jeep-92735.html)

Future Jeeper 05-07-2011 10:41 PM

Considering the purchase of a TJ Jeep

Hello Jeepers,

I need some advice. I really want to find a great Jeep and want to make an informed decision so I decided to ask those who drive them.

It has been almost 30 years since I owned my Jeep CJ5 with a 304 cid V-8 and a 3 speed transmission (it was a lot of fun). I have owned a lot of Toyota 4 wheel drives since then. I really got into them because of dependability, etc.

Recently the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon caught my eye. I know it is the 4 door.

We will be 4 wheeling primarily in Colorado and Utah. We want to begin exploring Jeep trails, old mines, forest service trails, etc.

We rented a 2 door Rubicon last year while on vacation. We had a great time.

I have thought a lot about purchasing a 2012 Rubicon Standard or Unlimited and doing extensive work to it. Bumpers, lift kit, wheels, tires, etc. By the time I am done with it it would be about $50,000.00.

I really don't have a problem with that, except me. I canít see having that much money invested in a vehicle that is not your daily driver.

I have become so accustomed to purchasing new vehicles I didn't give a used Jeep a second thought.

But, now I have.

Here are my questions.

Is it possible to find a 2004, 05, or 06 2 door Rubicon that has been well taken care of? If so does anyone know of a website or websites where slightly used, well taken care of Jeeps are advertised and sold. Is the 4.0 engine with an automatic transmission good dependable units. I am only interested in an automatic transmission. I am wary of the current Jeep JK because of the engine that is in it. We purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 engine and an automatic transmission and we traded it in 2 years later with 20,000 miles on it because I had had it in the shop 3 times and it stranded us more than once and we never had it off road. I am pretty meticulous with the care of my vehicles, but after 3 trips to the shop I had had enough.

I really want to find a good used TJ that we can drive for a year or so and find out what we like and donít like about it and then invest in bumpers, wheels, tires, a lift, etc. I feel like a Rubicon would be an excellent starting place and after a year or so of driving it we might not invest a great deal making it a fully capable street and trail rig. Even though it wonít be a daily driver a lot of the miles will be on the highway and the trails we will be doing will be mild compared to what most Jeep enthusiasts to. I prefer to look for a Rubicon because I know it has Dana 44 front and rear axles, lower transfer case, lower gears, etc.

Give me some feedback.

Thanks for you help.

jrussblues 05-07-2011 10:46 PM

Take your time and find a tj unlimited rubicon aka lj rubicon. They are like finding diamonds and one of the more rare jeeps. As far as a tj rubi, they are also fantastic. If you are looking for one in good shape then take ur time, be patient, and you will likely find something that suits you fairly quickly. I would highly suggest driving one first though as it is completely different from a jk. I do mean completely.

Lando25 05-07-2011 11:34 PM

Although I cannot speak for the reliability and duribily of the the rubi tj's I have a 4 liter auto in my 02 sahara and i have had no problems with it at all. I think almost everyone on here will agree that the 4 liter is an overall buletproof engine as long as you maintain it and by your discription sounds like it wont be a problem. Hope it helps.

centerfireman 05-08-2011 02:43 PM

I have a 2006 TJ Rubicon, which I love. However, before you purchase, be aware and informed about the oil pump drive unit issues on the 2005-6 4.0 liter engines (there was a design change after 2004 that appear to have caused some significant reliablility problems for some). Good luck. TJ/LJs, especially Rubicons, are alot of fun.