Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   White lettering a firearm (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/white-lettering-a-firearm-93289.html)

sevenservices 05-11-2011 03:44 PM

White lettering a firearm
 
I white lettered my Glock 30 (Sub compact .45) yesterday. Its not to hard of a process, I looked through youtube videos and found a combination of things to work awesome.

Best paint I found is white nail polish as it is made with laquer

Best way to clean is with alcohol

spread paint into the letters then scrape across them with a flat shiny business card like a putty knife to push the paint deep into the cracks and also shovel off any excess for easy cleanup.

Then, clean it up with nail polish remover (non-acetone) and a lint free cloth, let it dry overnight and oil 'er back up.

http://www.svnsvs.com/storage/IMG_0072done.jpg

http://www.svnsvs.com/storage/IMG_0073done.jpg

http://www.svnsvs.com/storage/IMG_0074done.jpg

Mortalis5509 05-11-2011 05:21 PM

I dig it.

sevenservices 05-11-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalis5509 (Post 1233640)
I dig it.

I was surprised how easy it was to do. I watched a few videos and saw things I liked and didn't like... used the best of them to do it. Worked awesome! :D I can't stress enough how much the business card helps. It really helps to spread the paint down into the letters and shaves off the other 90 some percent making it really easy to clean up.

Schmo 05-11-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalis5509 (Post 1233640)
I dig it.

me too

Ageless Stranger 05-11-2011 08:02 PM

Looks great! :appl: I've seen pictures of one done in Red, White and Blue. It was very attractive as well.

sevenservices 05-12-2011 07:06 AM

nice, the red white and blue would be cool. I have my eye out for some gold to do the lettering on my .50 cal muzzleloader. I tried red on an older gun to test, it doesn't stand out good on the black. Im thinking they would need to be done in white, allowed time to dry then re-done with red using the white like a primer.

99Wrangler4x4 05-12-2011 07:59 AM

Nice! Think I could do that to my black Remignton 1187?

sevenservices 05-12-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99Wrangler4x4 (Post 1234804)
Nice! Think I could do that to my black Remignton 1187?

depends how deep the lettering is, always worth a try. If you screw it up just use a little more remover and it will come clean to try again.

The trick is really to scrape across the top after you fill the lettering. Then clean up around the letters before that drys. Let the letters dry for five to ten minutes then use just a little bit of remover on a rag to wipe across the letters and it cleans up the little bit left behind on the surface. Afterword, I let it sit overnight then re-oiled it.

99Wrangler4x4 05-12-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 1234826)
depends how deep the lettering is, always worth a try. If you screw it up just use a little more remover and it will come clean to try again.

The trick is really to scrape across the top after you fill the lettering. Then clean up around the letters before that drys. Let the letters dry for five to ten minutes then use just a little bit of remover on a rag to wipe across the letters and it cleans up the little bit left behind on the surface.

I might try it. what do I want it to say though?:confused:

sevenservices 05-12-2011 09:12 AM

not sure what you mean? It fills in the lettering that is already stamped into the metal...

CapnRich22 05-12-2011 09:41 AM

at my last job we use to do engraving... when we would do it on any metal, we would get nail polish because they come with a little brush and easy to get it into the engraved letters, but we would just wipe it off with acetone, and it cleans up real nice... not sure what acetone would do to the polymer but yeah good job

sevenservices 05-12-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnRich22 (Post 1235003)
at my last job we use to do engraving... when we would do it on any metal, we would get nail polish because they come with a little brush and easy to get it into the engraved letters, but we would just wipe it off with acetone, and it cleans up real nice... not sure what acetone would do to the polymer but yeah good job

Thanks! Based on the videos I watched, I used non-acetone nail polish remover. I agree nail polish works great and its a laquer base. Now I just have to get over the stink of the nail polish and the remover!

99Wrangler4x4 05-12-2011 12:58 PM

oh wow :facepalm: I feel stupid...

sevenservices 05-18-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99Wrangler4x4 (Post 1235346)
oh wow :facepalm: I feel stupid...

don't... we all have those moments :whistling:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.