Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Pre/Post trail maintenance on a DD (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/pre-post-trail-maintenance-on-a-dd-93519.html)

Danno6102 05-13-2011 05:38 AM

Pre/Post trail maintenance on a DD

With the issues I've had with the transmission & my brake caliper the past couple days I can't help but wonder if the trail/dirt/mud has contributed to these. So, I was wondering what types of routine maintenance or checks you all do to keep everyhing running & working in tip top shape before you hit the trail & after you're done?

This is my daily driver & a vehicle I plan to keep for a while. So making sure it lasts 12 years so I can hand it down to my boy & also so I can get to work in the morning so I can make some $ to buy more Jeep stuff is important to me.:thumb:

Jimboo 05-13-2011 08:10 AM

just clean off the mud. clean the undercarriage very well. try using some simple green underneath as well(mud can contain a lot of oil), and it should make your jeep last longer. check your fluids. also check your suspension before you hit the trails.

and dont forget the most important thing...its a jeep, things will break... then you gotta just fix 'em.=)

-jim

Shelby427 05-13-2011 08:10 AM

After; piss off the car wash folks. Get the crap out from everything. Leaving the mud, stones, debris in there just gives it more time to work it's evil.

Before: I drove big rigs and we had to do pre and post trip inspections each day.
Common sense stuff. Check the lights, tires (pressure/damage), wipers, look for leaks, look for wear, loose fasteners, look at the brakes, hoses and belt(s) Etc.

I still do a sorta inspection before I jump in the pickup or Jeep. When I walk out of the house I'm on the passenger side of the vehicles, I look at the front end, look underneath, look at the tires, working my way around the back to the driver's door.

geiman 05-13-2011 09:19 AM

What kind of wheeling are you doing?

Whenever I've been through deep water or mud (which I tend to stay away from) I always make sure to at the very least check all the fluids that may have been effected; if its something cheap and easy like a the diffs and its been a bit I may just go ahead and change out the fluid. x2 on cleaning all the mud, rocks, etc.. off ASAP; I know I know, some think its cool to drive around covered in mud, but I just can't stand to think of what its doing to my joints. Thus, one of the most important things to me is cleaning and re-greasing all the joints underneath the vehicle.

I also check the little things after wheeling, like the tires, belts and hoses, look for new/interesting dents on the underside, check to make sure nothing important got bent, etc... I just look at it as quality time with the Jeep. I'm like you, I DD my Jeep and its gotta last a while; I'm not afraid to tackle the boulders, but if something is going to break its got to be fixed quick.

MPTJ 05-13-2011 09:23 AM

After I went rock crawling, trail riding. I went through and checked for damage and made sure that everything was tight and no bolts loosened on the drive. I also made ure to clean everything real well. My jeep is my toy and DD.