Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Alright guys & gals I want to hear from you... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/alright-guys-and-gals-i-want-to-hear-from-you-93657.html)

redirysae 05-14-2011 06:08 AM

Alright guys & gals I want to hear from you...
 
I want to hear from you guys and gals about which exhaust system to put on my new JK. I want to hear what you did to yours and how you like it. Does it sound good when you step on the gas? How about cruising speed? I want to hear about how to,how much and what not to do.I am a Baby Boomer who is living it,loving it, and will NEVER get over it! 2011 and in Jeep Heaven!

chucky cheese 05-14-2011 06:32 AM

I am a boomer too. My 2011 has too much wind noise when cruising so Exhaust sound would just compound that problem. Anyhow I was discussing exhaust systems with a elder gentleman and we came to the conclusion the exhaust systems on chrysler products nowadays seem to last for years. Case in point my 97 Ram van with 135,000 miles exhaust is perfect. He has 2- 90's Chrysler products and has never had to replace exhaust neither. So I look at it as one less item to worry about for years. But if your looking for a more aggressive sound they have plenty of members who can tell you what they did.

redirysae 05-14-2011 07:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am new to this forum as you can tell. I am not sure how to invite friends.Would you like to be my friend? Vehicles are lasting longer these days. I remember the seventy's when rust took out whole quarter panels. I just want to relive those day I guess when I drove a 69 Chevelle with loud pipes. Yep! thanks

Austin Williams 05-14-2011 07:28 AM

Once I get some spare cash I plan on purchasing the Corsa dB dual rear exhaust system. I haven't took a really good look at many of the other systems, but am almost sold on the Corsa due to the system we put on the Vette. It's probably worth looking at some of the other manufacturers and doing some research. If I were to choose, it would be between the Borla or Corsa systems. Then again, it all depends on what you're looking for in an exhaust system (i.e. mileage vs. sound)

Corsa Performance 24412 - dB Performance by Corsa Dual Rear Exit Axle Back Exhaust for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
YouTube - dB Performance Exhaust by CORSA Jeep Wrangler JK pn 24412

TheMadBotanist 05-14-2011 07:45 AM

I've heard great things about the magnaflow 40 (hm...or is that only because JIMBOX has mentioned how much he loves his about 349,283,239 times?) but would recommend checking out youtube videos to find the sound you're looking for.

I want to upgrade mine as well, and really just want to avoid it sounding too 'ricey', so it's cool to be able to rule things out just by seeing a video someone made.

fanofnd 05-14-2011 07:56 AM

Corsa db is the only way to go for fit, quality and NO DRONE. Had it on my Jk for a short period of time. I personally loved it but my wife was "embarrassed" to drive it since it was much louder than stock. So I removed it and sold it to another forum member. Maybe that member will chime in and give their .02.

Afa mileage and performance is concerned, you will not see any difference from the stock system.

Kate 05-14-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyrider (Post 1238786)
I want to hear from you guys and gals about which exhaust system to put on my new JK. I want to hear what you did to yours and how you like it. Does it sound good when you step on the gas? How about cruising speed? I want to hear about how to,how much and what not to do.I am a Baby Boomer who is living it,loving it, and will NEVER get over it! 2011 and in Jeep Heaven!

Go search around youtube for JK exhaust. Lots of samples out there for your viewing and listening pleasure!

redirysae 05-14-2011 08:02 AM

Will it get me a ticket?

Kate 05-14-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin Williams (Post 1238848)
Once I get some spare cash I plan on purchasing the Corsa dB dual rear exhaust system. I haven't took a really good look at many of the other systems, but am almost sold on the Corsa due to the system we put on the Vette. It's probably worth looking at some of the other manufacturers and doing some research. If I were to choose, it would be between the Borla or Corsa systems. Then again, it all depends on what you're looking for in an exhaust system (i.e. mileage vs. sound)

Corsa Performance 24412 - dB Performance by Corsa Dual Rear Exit Axle Back Exhaust for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
YouTube - dB Performance Exhaust by CORSA Jeep Wrangler JK pn 24412

Just looking at that picture, I have to say this:

The first time you roll down the face of a small rock ledge or embankment, those tips are going to be squashed flat when the Jeep sits down on them.

If it's just a street ride, then no worries but for a trail rig that would never fly.

Kate 05-14-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyrider (Post 1238885)
Will it get me a ticket?

The only way to know that is to ask your local PD.

Austin Williams 05-14-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 1238887)
Just looking at that picture, I have to say this:

The first time you roll down the face of a small rock ledge or embankment, those tips are going to be squashed flat when the Jeep sits down on them.

If it's just a street ride, then no worries but for a trail rig that would never fly.

Like I said, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of your exhaust system. I'm certain that if you look hard enough, there are plenty of systems out there that will accommodate the rigorous wear and tear a trail rig will endure. I was just posting what I thought was cool. My Jeep won't see anything much more then some minor trail riding, so I'm not all that concerned about it. To each their own. :)

TheMadBotanist 05-14-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 1238887)
Just looking at that picture, I have to say this:

The first time you roll down the face of a small rock ledge or embankment, those tips are going to be squashed flat when the Jeep sits down on them.

If it's just a street ride, then no worries but for a trail rig that would never fly.


Bingo. I've already done this, just to my stock exhaust. Had to spend an hour sitting behind my rig literally pulling the exhaust backwards so it would stop hitting the axle (or whatever horizontal bar it was up against), and the end got crimped about 50%. It doesnt seem to have affected performance, but it was noisy as hell for a while until I figured out what had happened.

So, i'm looking for one with a good sound, and relatively hidden/out of the way/not going to get smashed when I reverse down a hill.

I wonder how something like this sounds: MBRP Performance Exhaust

jadampowell 05-14-2011 09:33 AM

I have the MBRP Off Road It stops just after crossing the rear axle. You have to add the Evap Canister Relocator, but that is no big deal. I love the sound and with the top off I just crank the radio a little louder. Ill post a sound bite on Monday. Anything specific you want to hear

jeepnpete 05-14-2011 10:03 AM

I have the dynomax cat back dual system with K&N CAI. I think the combo sounds great together and not too loud or obnoxious sounding.

arrowhead 05-14-2011 10:11 AM

An exhaust system without a V8 in front of it is just-----noise. :D

Oops, I forgot Harley's.

trennmaschine 05-15-2011 02:38 PM

I added a Borla twin stainless exhaust to my 09 Sahara and am really happy with it. Just enough growl to be heard, but not crazy loud - as in, my 55 Nomad with Hollywoods. If you're really after _loud_ and aggressive, Borla makes an ATAK system built for the vehicle. They have a couple of samples of them on Mustangs, but they say on the site that they will build one for any vehicle. You need to contact them and supply them with specs for the build since they are individually tuned. One nice feature of the stainless exhaust is the warranty - 1M miles. I bought mine for just under 1k, and install was painless and had good docs to go with it. It took about 500 miles for the growl to get nicely tuned in, but at cruise speed, it's not ear-splitting at all, and at low speed, it's enough to be heard. Punch the accelerator, and it will definitely show itself.

stryke-force 05-15-2011 03:13 PM

I put on a Gibson cat back dual exhaust on my '11 jku. Has a nice rumble to it. But it is louder in the inside now. Not a big deal to me I don't drive it everyday.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.