Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rockstar Rims and Tires Question, PLEASE HELP! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rockstar-rims-and-tires-question-please-help-93773.html)

prophotodude 05-15-2011 03:14 AM

Rockstar Rims and Tires Question, PLEASE HELP!
 
I have a 2010 wrangler unlimted Sport 4WD with 16, base model wheels and tires. I am interested in buying the 18" Rockstar Rims and I would like to put Goodyear Duratrac tires on it. I do not go off-roading at all, I drive in the suburbs of chicago to and from work. The car is for my wife (who is very short), so I dont want the Jeep to be too high, to the point where she has a hard time getting in, even though we have side steps. I dont want the tires to rub and I doint want to do any extra work to the car in order to make these fit. My questions are the following:

1. What size Goodyear Duratrac tire do I need?
2. Will I be rubbing at all?
3. Will my wife be able to get in the Jeep with this wheel/tire combo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.!

Steel02001 05-15-2011 04:28 AM

I would just get a 32/33 inch tire to avoid having to lift or rubbing. So a 285/75 or something there abouts. And yes, she will be able to get in.

rics1997 05-15-2011 06:41 AM

Make sure your backspacing on your new wheels are 4.5 to 5". Have you considered 17" wheel. You probably would never notice the difference between a 17 and 18 while the price of tires for a 17 is a lot cheaper then for the same tire in 18"

jkjeeper06 05-15-2011 09:41 AM

You most likely have the 3.21 gears so I wouldn't go above a 32 which I think is a 255/65/18. You could even go with the 245 size since you never off road. Big tires look cool but they kill your mileage. Unfortunately if you want the rockstars you 18" is the smallest rim

prophotodude 05-15-2011 11:20 AM

Thanks for the replies! So which one will work; the 285/75/18 or the 255/65/18? I would love to go to a 17" rim, but rockstars start at 18" and they are the only rims I like right now.

JeeperJake 05-15-2011 12:10 PM

My 08 Sahara stock tires are "Item #TT6S: P255/70R18 OWL On/Off Road Tires "

This is perfect for no lift, mostly road travel as DD in my use.

My wife is short and even with the side running boards, she has some difficulty finding a way to crawl in....but she does make it.

IIRC the factory advertising lists the Sahara as standing something like 1 1/2" higher than the basic models, due to suspension and rim/tire size differences.

With auto and 3.73 non slip diffs, I believe the gearing/tire size is perfect match for the engine power range. I've never had any tire rubbing even on trails.

18" rims will limit your choice of treads considerably.

At 5'11" I can step directly into driver seat without having to climb up or down either getting in or out myself. I like that better than the 7" extra climb getting into my 3/4ton Ram 4x4.

daggo66 05-15-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperJake
IIRC the factory advertising lists the Sahara as standing something like 1 1/2" higher than the basic models, due to suspension and rim/tire size differences.

It would only apply to the base model Sport with 29" tires. The find have no bearing on clearance and the suspensions are the same. Every inch in tire size equals one half inch additional clearance. That is why the 32" tires give you the additional one and a half inches.

prophotodude 05-16-2011 01:09 AM

So in regards to the 18x9 rockstars, what's the correct tire for no rubbing

daggo66 05-16-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophotodude (Post 1242244)
So in regards to the 18x9 rockstars, what's the correct tire for no rubbing

That's a tough question to answer. Width, not height will be you main problem. Stick with a tire that is no wider than stock and you should be fine. The issue is that with today's metric sizing, that could be a huge array of sizes which aren't necessarily available by any particular manufacturer. Here is a web site that can help determine what the numbers come out to. Car / SUV / Van / Light Truck Tire Calculations

M_ 05-16-2011 06:57 AM

Pick the tire you want and work out the rubbing issues with spidertrax if you need to. Spending the money on rims like those to put stock size tires on isnt going to make you happy long term... That's a buyer's remorse episode in the making.

axelaR 05-16-2011 04:38 PM

I've got 18x9 XD Rockstars with 295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs on my new jeep. The 18x9 rockstars only come in 0 offset/5.0 backspacing. When they were mounted by the dealership, they trimmed a couple mm's off my splash guard because there was some slight rubbing on full lock and going in reverse (from their test drive). I haven't had any rubbing or any other issues at all with this setup, but only 500kms driven so far in the city.

This setup barely raises the jeep from stock, my mom has a 2011 sport with factory 17's (255/75/17) and you can see mine is just slightly taller.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...0504011904.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...514011344a.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...514011344b.jpg

prophotodude 05-17-2011 12:31 AM

Axelar, you have the exact setup im going for. I dont want to do any modifications, i dont want to raise the car higher, and of course that means i dont want a lift kit. the way your jeep looks is exactly what im looking for. thank you for your info and help. Would you have any pictures showing how much the tires stick out? Im really worried about rubbing. If all i need to do is trim the splash guard a bit, thats fine, but i dont want to do anything more than that. So you say Goodyear makes the Duratrac in 295/65/18 and that it would be exactly what im looking for in terms of no rubbing? And in regards to noise level, are they loud or pretty tame? And last question, how are they in the rain and snow? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but you're the only person with the exact setup that I want. Your jeep looks beautiful. Thanks in advance!

axelaR 05-17-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophotodude (Post 1244359)
Axelar, you have the exact setup im going for. I dont want to do any modifications, i dont want to raise the car higher, and of course that means i dont want a lift kit. the way your jeep looks is exactly what im looking for. thank you for your info and help. Would you have any pictures showing how much the tires stick out? Im really worried about rubbing. If all i need to do is trim the splash guard a bit, thats fine, but i dont want to do anything more than that. So you say Goodyear makes the Duratrac in 295/65/18 and that it would be exactly what im looking for in terms of no rubbing? And in regards to noise level, are they loud or pretty tame? And last question, how are they in the rain and snow? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but you're the only person with the exact setup that I want. Your jeep looks beautiful. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the comments! Before I got this setup, I couldn't find anyone else with it, which is strange as the rockstars are one of the most popular wheels and the duratracs are one of the most popular tires. I did a lot of research as I also didn't want any rubbing or lift (for the time being :)). It is a daily driver.

I don't have any pics of how much the tires stick out past the fenders...but I would say it's only 1/2". From my research, I don't think you'd be getting any rubbing from this unless you were fully flexed offroad. I considered 275/65/18 which is the exact diameter of the factory tires (32.1") and just a tad wider. But then I thought that I may as well go with 33's as I'll regret it later on, plus the wider tires look great IMO.

I would say they're pretty tame in the noise dept. I can't compare to the factory tires because I swapped them at the dealership when I took delivery. With the radio very low I hear a slight hum on the highway. My passengers said they don't notice any loud noise at all. I've had much louder tires on my lowered mazda3 hahaha.

I've only driven them once in rain, on the highway and it was raining hard, no problems whatsoever. This is important for me as I live in the Northwest where we get a lot of rain year round. Again, only had them (and the jeep) for 2 weeks so no experience in the snow. I did a lot of research beforehand and I've read these are great in the snow as well, another important feature for me as I live on a mountain and do a lot of snowboarding during the winter season.

Thanks!

prophotodude 05-17-2011 04:48 PM

So just talked to the tire shop and they said since my original tires are 225/75/16, I wouldn't be able to do the 295/65/18 cause they are way too big for my suspension. My sport suspension is not as high as the Sahara models. My stock tire is the equivalent of a 26" diameter tire and they said I need to stay within a 29" tire. I can go with a 18" rim like the Rockstars, but the Duratrac tires are supposedly going to be rubbing. They said I would have to go with a 255/60/18 maximum to insure no rubbing, which sucks because the Duratrac doesn't come in that size and every tire in that size does not look aggressive. I've heard a couple people say I can get away with putting on a 275/65/18 and it wouldn't rub, but im worried because the tire shop said it would probably rub. If i were to order the 275/65/18 and they ended up rubbing, they said I would be stuck with them and they would not return it. I hate the way the 255/60/18 looks and none of the tires in that size look aggressive. So what do I do? This sucks!!!!

M_ 05-17-2011 04:51 PM

It's going to look like a low pro tire... Do a 2.5" budget boost then get the tires you want

IndyJeepMan 05-17-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophotodude (Post 1245690)
So just talked to the tire shop and they said since my original tires are 225/75/16, I wouldn't be able to do the 295/65/18 cause they are way too big for my suspension. My sport suspension is not as high as the Sahara models. My stock tire is the equivalent of a 26" diameter tire and they said I need to stay within a 29" tire. I can go with a 18" rim like the Rockstars, but the Duratrac tires are supposedly going to be rubbing. They said I would have to go with a 255/60/18 maximum to insure no rubbing, which sucks because the Duratrac doesn't come in that size and every tire in that size does not look aggressive. I've heard a couple people say I can get away with putting on a 275/65/18 and it wouldn't rub, but im worried because the tire shop said it would probably rub. If i were to order the 275/65/18 and they ended up rubbing, they said I would be stuck with them and they would not return it. I hate the way the 255/60/18 looks and none of the tires in that size look aggressive. So what do I do? This sucks!!!!

You can get a 33" tire under that JK stock. The dealer will tell you anything! You could also get a budget boost and that will sit real good with 33's and those wheels.

InfernoGirl 05-17-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 1245708)
You can get a 33" tire under that JK stock. The dealer will tell you anything! You could also get a budget boost and that will sit real good with 33's and those wheels.

He doesn't want to add any height due to his short wife.

InfernoGirl 05-17-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophotodude (Post 1245690)
So just talked to the tire shop and they said since my original tires are 225/75/16, I wouldn't be able to do the 295/65/18 cause they are way too big for my suspension. My sport suspension is not as high as the Sahara models. My stock tire is the equivalent of a 26" diameter tire and they said I need to stay within a 29" tire. I can go with a 18" rim like the Rockstars, but the Duratrac tires are supposedly going to be rubbing. They said I would have to go with a 255/60/18 maximum to insure no rubbing, which sucks because the Duratrac doesn't come in that size and every tire in that size does not look aggressive. I've heard a couple people say I can get away with putting on a 275/65/18 and it wouldn't rub, but im worried because the tire shop said it would probably rub. If i were to order the 275/65/18 and they ended up rubbing, they said I would be stuck with them and they would not return it. I hate the way the 255/60/18 looks and none of the tires in that size look aggressive. So what do I do? This sucks!!!!

They are full o' crap. Your suspension isn't shorter, the springs may be a bit softer, but that's it. Don't listen to them. Tell you what, since this is causing you such problems... find a local Jeeper with tires the size you want and fit them on your Jeep for 15 minutes.... I promise they'll fit. :)

prophotodude 05-17-2011 06:06 PM

At this point I don't care if it adds an inch or 2 to the height of the car as long as the rims won't rub ill be happy. I just wanna be able to fit 275/65/18 without rubbing, without a lift kit, or any other problems

M_ 05-17-2011 06:22 PM

Spider trax should also prevent rubbing

prophotodude 05-17-2011 08:35 PM

Whats spider track?

M_ 05-18-2011 03:21 AM

Wheel adapters that space the wheels out about another 1.5" to prevent rubbing from the width of the tires and since rockstars don't have appropriate back spacing they should help you out... Quadratec sells them

tysonq 11-04-2011 12:23 AM

can you show where it was trimmed off your splashguard Great Lookin Jeep!!!!!!
 
I ordered my Unlimited 2 weeks ago and am trying to find a good looking wheel/tire combo and i think your jeep looks awesome, can you show where you had the splashguard trimmed off?

guppy 05-05-2012 10:20 PM

Duratracs come in 275 65 18 = 32 x 10.83 x 18
The Rockstar rims are 9" wide with 0 offset or 5"inch backspace.
There is absolutely no reason this will not fit your stock 2010 without rubbing.

I have the same wheels (295 65 18 duratracs) with a 2.5 teraflex buget boost lift. Don't do the lift if your wife is having trouble getting in and out because it makes a substantial difference.

kbwwolf 05-05-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy (Post 2338921)
Duratracs come in 275 65 18 = 32 x 10.83 x 18
The Rockstar rims are 9" wide with 0 offset or 5"inch backspace.
There is absolutely no reason this will not fit your stock 2010 without rubbing.

I have the same wheels (295 65 18 duratracs) with a 2.5 teraflex buget boost lift. Don't do the lift if your wife is having trouble getting in and out because it makes a substantial difference.


Are you aware that the OP started this thread almost one full year ago? Dude's probably taking a dirt nap by now. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.