Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   RECALL! Last Opportunity 95 YJs! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/recall-last-opportunity-95-yjs-93800.html)

ace548 05-15-2011 11:14 AM

RECALL! Last Opportunity 95 YJs!
 
Over the weekend i had an issue involving my YJ and a fence.
My Parking Brake had disengaged itself about 5 mins after i had exited the vehicle and rolled into a friend's fence. while looking for a replacement parking brake assembly, i came across a recall:

Recall Date
FEB 07, 2002

Model Affected
1995 JEEP WRANGLER

Description
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS, THE PARKING BRAKE CAN SELF-RELEASE WITHOUT WARNING.

Consequence
THIS COULD ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO ROLL AWAY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY WITH A STRONGER PAWL RETURN SPRING. OWNER NOTIFICATON BEGAN SEPTEMBER 30, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
I called Chrysler to see if the recall had been fixed for mine, and apparently not, but said it will only be available for free repair for a few months. i just wanted to pass this along to all the 95 YJ owners, never hurts to check, and save you the time, money, damage and frustration that a faulty parking brake could cause. As for the damage to my Jeep, Very Minimal Damage:)

BlackedOutYJ 05-15-2011 11:35 AM

So the recall was 9 years ago and they are still honoring it?

95YamJam 05-15-2011 03:26 PM

Honestly I don't want any dealer touching anything I own. My parking brake is so rusted up they would tack on a few hundred extra for all the crap.

I just make sure she's in 1st.

Wrangler Haven 05-15-2011 05:33 PM

The recall is still available and despite what they told you it will continue to be available for all YJ's until performed. It is a liability for Chrysler and legally they must honor it. It affects all models including the Renegade. I advise all owners to call their local dealership & confirm their vehicle is up to date on recalls. I had this recall done in 2002 on my '91, and again on a recently bought '92. The previous owner apparently had no idea about the recall and suffered with a broken parking brake for years.
A common problem with this recall however, is the mechanic's failure to properly reconnect the fuel pump ground wire which grounds at the parking brake. This results in intermittent engine operation. This has happened to me and is difficult to diagnose.

Shelby427 05-15-2011 08:08 PM

If it is a recall it has to be open until all affected units are repaired, as WH stated.

I can remember doing a recall on a 59 Eldorado back in the mid 70's, when I worked for Caddy.


Sounds like the "For limited time only" bit is just a nudge to get folks to have it done.

Benjamen 05-24-2011 03:31 PM

Hmm I had that happen to my old 88 YJ. My father parked it on a hill to open a gate and the parking link broke. It proceeded to down hill 500 yards and flip end over end 6-7 times. Needless to say it was totaled...

Tacticalrun 10-04-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamen
Hmm I had that happen to my old 88 YJ. My father parked it on a hill to open a gate and the parking link broke. It proceeded to down hill 500 yards and flip end over end 6-7 times. Needless to say it was totaled...

I'll have to be careful I just bought a 88 YJ.

Bostonshooligan 10-04-2011 05:44 AM

Ive been having alot of issues with my parking break,so at the moment i was just avoid parking on hill,looks like im not the only one :whistling:

4Jeepn 10-04-2011 06:01 AM

Rule of thumb, never trust the parking brake alone, always put it in gear.

Bostonshooligan 10-04-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 1626238)
Rule of thumb, never trust the parking brake alone, always put it in gear.

Exactly what saves me :thumb:

yj93ben 10-04-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonshooligan (Post 1626223)
Ive been having alot of issues with my parking break,so at the moment i was just avoid parking on hill,looks like im not the only one :whistling:

I have a 93, and I'm not the original owner. Bought it a couple of years later. Chysler contacted me through a VIN search and found my address and sent me a voucher for the replacement of the parking brake unit. From what I've read it was only for model years 1990 thru 1995.:thumb:

Here is a good website to check your vehicles for recalls;

Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

quadrophine 10-04-2011 05:08 PM

the p brake broke on my 90 does that mean they will replace it for me? Or is it just one part. And as a general rule you should always leave it in gear. 1st if your facing uphill or reverse if your facing downhill.

cronz 10-04-2011 05:27 PM

Called the 800 number for DC that was mentioned above. My parking brake was serviced shortly after the recall along with the catalytic converter which also apparently had a recall on it. :D

However, since the topic of parking brakes came up, it seems I have a faulty parking brake light, completely random it seems, the light decides for itself whether to come on. Brake engaged and turning the car on, no light, just started...thoughts?

How far does everybody have to push their brake in for it to feel "secure?" I have to almost floor mine to get the brake to hold on anything greater than a 2% grade. Could my cable be wearing out? Or the brake itself?

Thanks!

Mitchness 10-04-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cronz (Post 1627579)
However, since the topic of parking brakes came up, it seems I have a faulty parking brake light, completely random it seems, the light decides for itself whether to come on. Brake engaged and turning the car on, no light, just started...thoughts?

It's probably your parking brake light switch. It's either dirty/rusted or bent/broken. It's pretty easy to access. It's at the pivot of the P-brake pedal. Look and see if the contact is dirty/rusted or bent/broken in a way that would keep it from closing the circuit.

The design itself is bad and when I went to get a new one they gave me a different design. The old one has the spring under tension when the pedal is engaged whereas the new one puts the spring under tension when it's disengaged... or vice versa (can't remember at the moment).

jkaufman_95 10-04-2011 06:26 PM

Thanks, just sent this along to my buddy with a 95 yj

Bostonshooligan 10-04-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cronz (Post 1627579)
Called the 800 number for DC that was mentioned above. My parking brake was serviced shortly after the recall along with the catalytic converter which also apparently had a recall on it. :D

However, since the topic of parking brakes came up, it seems I have a faulty parking brake light, completely random it seems, the light decides for itself whether to come on. Brake engaged and turning the car on, no light, just started...thoughts?

How far does everybody have to push their brake in for it to feel "secure?" I have to almost floor mine to get the brake to hold on anything greater than a 2% grade. Could my cable be wearing out? Or the brake itself?

Thanks!

My light has the same issue,until i hit a pothole and it goes off :whistling:

Xpress 10-04-2011 08:32 PM

The little grounding pin is the stupidest design ever. Find the wire connecting to the top of the parking brake lever and check it out, mine was dirty. Little sand paper and it works like new.

Also, why the hell would you only trust your parking brake?? EVERY drivers education manual tells you to put the vehicle in 1st or into the Parking gear and THEN apply the parking brake.

SirCanni 10-04-2011 08:51 PM

I just had the dealer fix my parking brake on my 95 yj and didn't cost a thing. Good idea to get this done if you haven't yet.

chaseme68 10-04-2011 09:10 PM

I think i will have to have mine checked also, i plan on letting others know about this also, thanks

DILLIGAF 10-04-2011 09:24 PM

Also, why the hell would you only trust your parking brake?? EVERY drivers education manual tells you to put the vehicle in 1st or into the Parking gear and THEN apply the parking brake.[/QUOTE]

Probably wanted to leave it running to open the gate to the huntin lodge,
or needed to because like ours,
The hill in front of ours is too steep for 1st gear to hold,and need the brake too! jeep likes to creep away while your fiddling with the damn combo lock...
:wavey:"by by jeep

Cade 10-04-2011 09:26 PM

I had this recall performed on my '95 about seven years ago. Have not had a problem with it disengaging itself after the fix.

DILLIGAF 10-04-2011 09:36 PM

I Honestly dont think my 95 has had it repaired, but will check on it.

Thanks for sharing!

yj93ben 10-04-2011 10:16 PM

As a respose to all those who have said "you shouldn't trust a parking brake". They are absolutely correct. However, I still want mine functioning correctly. I have found myself needing to winch out of a issues, and without a parking brake it would have been very difficult, at best.

Xpress, You have obviously never found your self a$$ deep in an issue where you needed your Jeep running and to be hooking up a winch rope/cable at the same time. Parking brakes are important to those of us with manual transmissions.

The last organized Jeepin' event I went to, it was a requirement to have a functional parking brake. It had to kill the Jeep when you let the clutch out, or if your an automatic, it couldn't move when you hit the gas. Or you weren't going on the trail run.:thumb:

They are needed.:thumb:

yj93ben 10-04-2011 10:37 PM

apologies
 
:thumb:
Quote:

Originally Posted by yj93ben (Post 1628570)
As a respose to all those who have said "you shouldn't trust a parking brake". They are absolutely correct. However, I still want mine functioning correctly. I have found myself needing to winch out of a issues, and without a parking brake it would have been very difficult, at best.

Xpress, You have obviously never found your self a$$ deep in an issue where you needed your Jeep running and to be hooking up a winch rope/cable at the same time. Parking brakes are important to those of us with manual transmissions.

The last organized Jeepin' event I went to, it was a requirement to have a functional parking brake. It had to kill the Jeep when you let the clutch out, or if your an automatic, it couldn't move when you hit the gas. Or you weren't going on the trail run.:thumb:

They are needed.:thumb:

Xpress, I apologize. I didn't notice you don't have a winch. Sorry.:thumb:

BDK 10-05-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DILLIGAF (Post 1628405)
I Honestly dont think my 95 has had it repaired, but will check on it.

Thanks for sharing!

Go to Jeeps website and the customer service link. Go to recalls and put in your VIN number and it will pull your Jeeps info if it has been serviced or not.

They will service it!

ssshane 11-03-2011 06:59 AM

Good info! I just sent them an email with my VIN asking if mine has been serviced. I have only had my 95 YJ for about two months. Thanks

Dallas 11-03-2011 09:07 AM

The recall work has been done on my jeep and the E-brake still doesn't work. Pops out when engaged. Found out the hard way right after I bought it. A day after the purchase i parked it in front of my house with the E-brake on... Was in the house for about 30 seconds, came out the front door and my jeep was in my neighbors yard! I almost s**t my pants. Missed his car by about two feet but did not miss his mailbox.

I now put it in first every time

loganInaYj 11-03-2011 09:54 AM

first off if your on a incline, you do know your supose to leave vehicle in gear for that exact reason? haha the recall is for all YJ models. my e brake had a sticker on it when i got it stating it was serviced by chrysler. mine works fine.

natedawg3256 11-03-2011 11:58 AM

Mine is an auto. they will only repair 5sp . Really grinds my gears!

Raoul 12-10-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

...it seems I have a faulty parking brake light, completely random it seems, the light decides for itself whether to come on. Brake engaged and turning the car on, no light, just started...thoughts?...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonshooligan (Post 1628040)
My light has the same issue,until i hit a pothole and it goes off :whistling:

Hey guys, the Brake Light is dual purpose.
It indicates when the Parking Brake is engaged but, it will also come on when there is low brake fluid.

Potholes and hard cornering that cause the light to flicker or stay on intermittently can be a borderline low fluid situation.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.