Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   clicking during acceleration.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/clicking-during-acceleration-93807.html)

Reaperonin 05-15-2011 12:02 PM

clicking during acceleration..

I notices today a clicking... it seems to be related to the rpm/gears..
It is reallly fast in second.. I go to third, and the clicking slows down..

What is this. Mildly unnerving....

:scared:

J_alther 05-15-2011 02:30 PM

does it lack in power a little bit? because my exhaust manifold has a small crack in it and it sounds like a clicking/exhaust leak on acceleration, but hopefully your motors not clicking, just make sure so see if theres enough oil in the motor

J_alther 05-15-2011 02:32 PM

could be a rod or a valve, might end up having to change the head, hopefully not, id try running thicker oil like 15-40, and see if it quiets up

Redrider94 05-15-2011 05:46 PM

Check front axle u-joints at the outer most pivot, just behind brake rotor when these joints go out they will sometimes make a clicking sound that will change with vehicle speed. Just reach in the knuckle with the jeep parked so as not to be able to move and shake the joint should have no play. Easy to check just reach in from the front.

Reaperonin 05-15-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrider94
Check front axle u-joints at the outer most pivot, just behind brake rotor when these joints go out they will sometimes make a clicking sound that will change with vehicle speed. Just reach in the knuckle with the jeep parked so as not to be able to move and shake the joint should have no play. Easy to check just reach in from the front.

I had that issue on my cherokee.. I don't think that is it.. it is less metallic, and more airy maybe.. muffled anyways..
Not the prominent knock of a u joint.

The exhaust is rusty, but no discernable holes.. maybe the header gasket?

It did mysteriously stop this afternoon... it was their half the day, then just went away... that freaked me out the most..... things that randomly stop eventually die forever..lol

At first I thought it seemed related to the transmission gear speed.. then it kinda sounded like it was keeping time with the pistons...

Are the gears metal, ir some poly something?
I wonder about the difference In sound

Ways I can be sure of something?

01WranglerGuy 05-15-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_alther (Post 1241107)
does it lack in power a little bit? because my exhaust manifold has a small crack in it and it sounds like a clicking/exhaust leak on acceleration, but hopefully your motors not clicking, just make sure so see if theres enough oil in the motor

x2

smellyfish 05-18-2011 11:57 AM

I have the same clicking ( more piston/ motor) in my '93 YJ and noticed some oil caked up on manifold... Headed for mechanic now, but clicking stopped.

Reaperonin 05-18-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smellyfish
I have the same clicking ( more piston/ motor) in my '93 YJ and noticed some oil caked up on manifold... Headed for mechanic now, but clicking stopped.

Yea.. clicking comes and goes...
I don't really notice power loss... but that doesn't mean its not there..

I will take her in soon..I want to put in all new exhaust though, so im waiting till I can afford a better overhaul

smellyfish 05-19-2011 12:59 PM

Sittin at a stoplight. .. Guy walks up says he has the same clicking and his mechanic says its a rod and needs a new engine...any truth to this????