Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

tj tailpipe size

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jacked06tj 
#1 ·
So i know the stock tailpipe is 2 1/4" , and most aftermarket catbacks come with 2.5". I have a 40 series flowmaster on my 4.0 l already, but i was going to have meineke wip me up a new tail pipe. I guess what im asking is, should i stay with a 2.5 or maybe a 2.75? Im only going for sound, not looking for any performance gains what so ever. It will not be mandrel bent, so thats why i ask about 2.75. It sounds good now with the stock one, but who likes stock anyway? Just looking for a little nicer sound. Its very raspy now, which is cool i guess, but ive heard some 2.5" pipes and they have a lower rumble to them and sound more hollow. Thanks for the input

#3 ·
I know the guys at the one near me. They said 100 to make it and put it on. Id do it myself i just dont have a bender. I cut the thrid cat out and welded in a pipe there and put the flowmaster in too. I considered just buying the banks tailpipe and putting it on myself. The 2.5 is noticeable, but i have never heard 2 3/4

#8 ·
Got the 3". Sounds better. Looks bada**. Plenty of clearance with 6" of susp. Lift and 1.25" of body lift. Backpressure? The stock manifolds and cats have plenty. Didnt notice any performance loss. Which brings me to my next question, headers. I want a new header. My manifolds will crack eventually anyway, plus ive done the gasket on mine already so i know i wont run into any issues. Im still going more for the sound rather than performance, but what is a reasonably priced header? Are the rugged ridge any good? Any experience with those? And does anybody KNOW if this will make it sound any better? Ive heard that it does, and theoretically it should, but we all drive a jeep so were used to owning an oddball. Lol

#10 ·
it wont really sound good through the microphone, but the 3" tailpipe didnt make the muffler sound much different at all, still had the same characteristics only with a little deeper richer tone. i paid $200 to have it made and put on because you cant just go buy one. its not realy worth the money unless you want something nobody else has. stick with the 2.5" pipe you can buy seperately from the catback kits. i know a stainless banks tailpipe is around 99$ give or take a few depending on where you look. i noticed a bigger difference in sound quality when i straight piped the third cat. That is illegal and frowned upon here so ill recomend that for a trail rig ;) hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.