Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Emergency bumper advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/emergency-bumper-advice-93942.html)

bamurphy3 05-16-2011 11:55 AM

Emergency bumper advice

Was probably going to look at a replacement bumper anyway, but my search is expedited now after a slight bump with a telephone pole this weekend, rendering my stock bumper in need of repair. Figure il go ahead and replace it instead. I was looking at the rugged ridge xhd and rock hard 4x4 with oem fog openings. I don't need a winch and like a simple look with the bull bar in front. I have an 11 sahara in silver with silver top. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I need to order it by Friday. Thanks!

JeeperJake 05-16-2011 12:00 PM

"Order in haste, repent in leisure"

rics1997 05-16-2011 12:04 PM

I think it comes down to personal tastes on bumpers. One thing I do like about the XHD though is if later you want to change the look, it is a simple remove an end cap, add an end cap, tube ends, or add an end cap with storage; add a light bar or not, go more aggressive with a pre-runner or stinger. There is so many ways to change the look of that bumper with an add-on. That is what I looked at when I got mine anyways

Grog 05-16-2011 12:05 PM

OEM bumper take offs should be easy to find. I know in my club we have 30 or 40 guys with bumpers sitting in their garages. Might check Craiglist or a 4wd store - they would be real cheap.

Don't rush into a decision

bamurphy3 05-16-2011 12:35 PM

Thought about getting someone's take-off but I would definitely be replacing the factory bumper eventually, so I figure why not now. Just wondering what some of ya'll like that isn't too crazy and looks good without a winch

snax 05-16-2011 03:25 PM

I think the XHD without the winch looks good if you mount some lights on it, like in the Quadratec catalog picture.

Grog 05-16-2011 04:40 PM

I like the Poison Spyder bumpers myself. Some of the other ones are too fancy for my tastes; which is all it is

bamajeeper 05-16-2011 08:34 PM

I vote for the Rockhard . Goodlooking , solid bumper

snax 05-16-2011 09:25 PM

Rockhard is a good looking bumper.

Benjy 05-16-2011 09:37 PM

I'm pulling my stocker off this week for a XHD, Big Q says it'll arrive tomorrow. Will post pics, search for "ridge' and you get quite a few XHD bumper topics to review.

bamurphy3 05-17-2011 01:33 PM

Think I've decided on the rugged ridge xhd with black d rings, full end caps and black hoop. No lights or winch. Unless someone wants to show me a pic of the rock hard 4x4 with factory fogs on a mostly stock jeep...

Benjy 05-17-2011 09:51 PM

Ordered mine Saturday, arrived from PA this afternoon. Looks awesome. Shouldn't have ordered the d-ring isolators, they're too small.

bamurphy3 05-18-2011 04:26 PM

Wow, just saw the Rampage Recovery for the first time and I like it quite a bit too, like the XHD but a little more aggressive looking. I would do it without the winch plate or winch. Anyone have a good comparison or opinion on thse two? Need to make a decision in the next couple days

bamurphy3 05-20-2011 08:32 AM

Any more last second advice?

Benjy 05-20-2011 09:44 AM

I like my xhd, had a very minor quality issue with the bumper hoop though. Welding on the bracket wasn't cleaned up and prevented one bolt from fitting. I drilled it out, painted it and sat out to dry. Ran to a scout meeting and left the bolts on the bumper. Called RR this morning, told then the story and they happily offered to send new bolts.