Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Vibration at Interstate Speed

17K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  info4tim 
#1 ·
I've read tons of posts and responses in the forum on this topic. I recently bought a 2002 Wrangler, totally stock, with 6 cyl and automatic transmission and 200,000 highway miles. It has a nasty vibration that comes up through the floor when I get it on the Interstate at around 60 MPH. (not through the steering)

From what I've read and feel, I don't think it's Death Wobble. I just had the tires re-balanced to try to get rid of the vibration. No luck. Also had the left front U-joint replaced. From what I've read, and feel... transfer case? Front drive shaft? I'm about to have my mechanic take out the front driveshaft just to see if the vibration goes away. Does the front driveshaft still rotate even in 2WD?

The tires are Firestone Destination, and they're wider and taller than the stock Goodyear Wranglers.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

#3 ·
sounds like tires could be unevenly worn, or you need an alignment perhaps? other options are other parts of your front or rear ds. you can remove the front ds fairly easily, I dont know how mechanically inclined you are but if there is anyone in the family im sure you could get someone to help you out? but then you can test it. for the record the ds does turn but not through the differential, only the drive shaft up, from what I understand. are you certain there is no lift at all?

#6 · (Edited)
I had similar issues. You may be more technically astute than me (most people are), but I had a bad vibration and noise under my 97YJ and I thought it was in the front. When I was a block and a half from the shop I was taking it to for repairs the driveshaft tore out and bent the output shaft on the transfer case. Turns out the rearend locked up and caused the whole mess - Sure sounded like it was coming from the front... :facepalm:

My advice? - If you can't work on it yourself then get it to a professional while it's just a minor annoyance. These things don't just magically fix themselves and minor can quickly turn into major. My minor annoyance is going to cost me $2,000+ to fix. :eek:

#7 ·
On my 200l Sahara with 60,000 miles I'v been getting a vibration starting at about 58 MPH through 63-65 then starts disappearing and by 70-75 all is smooth. The right front tire has been balanced 4 times since last summer (all other tires check out good) and the vibration is gone for several hundred miles before it starts showing back up again. In my years of experience with vibrations usually tire vibrations comes in at certain speeds and disappears either above or below that speed. Trying to get BFG to admit something is wrong with that tire and do something about it.

#8 ·
I have a 2002 tj and I thought I was going to die on the interstate when my jeep began to shake in such a way it felt like the front was bouncing left and right while the back was bouncing right and left. Luckily, I did not panic, but just took my foot off the gas and slowly got over to the shoulder. I had it towed to a shop. They recommended I have my tires replaced and balanced. I ride just fine up to 50mph. After that, the shake begins and I slow down because it is scary. I am worried it isn't just tires and I don't want to get the run around at the shop with no other suggestions for them. I have a stock jeep, straight 6, but my rims are 17s, so while my tires aren't fancy, they aren't stock. They're the only mod. What do y'all think? If I go in the shop and just tell my scary story, those mechanics are going to try to get me to buy everything they have and lunch.

#9 ·
Check the front DS. Our '04 had a vibration you could feel from under the driver's seat starting at around 55 MPH through just over 70 MPH. Upon crawling under, I could grab the front DS and get it to wiggle about an 1/8" up and down at the slip yoke. The CV's were all tight. Once we removed and dis-assembled it, you could see the slip yoke splines were obviously worn out. Replaced the whole DS and the vibration went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.