Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Break issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/break-issue-94064.html)

dreamunelk 05-16-2011 11:57 PM

Break issue

Hi all, I am hoping you can provide me with some advice. I recently had my front breaks (calipers & Roters) at my local shop. Right front brake was grabbing (to the point of smoking) so I scheduled for a warranty repair. Unfortunately mechanics wife got very sick and he is unable to work on it. She is in a medically induces coma so totally understood. He said sounds like we got a bad caliper or hose. So I went to the same parts store he uses and got a new caliper and hose. Less than a thousand on the rotor. Only put a couple of hundred miles before the problem. So I replace the hose and begin to install caliper. Noticed that the bleeder was at the lower end of the caliper. Always thought they were on top. Compared to one I took off and the the bleeder is on the top not bottom. Take Caliper back to CarQuest and they say it is the correct one. I am a little suspicious but, go ahead and install. Bleed breaks and notice write off that something is not right. Caliper is locked up (No wheel turn). Pressure will build and not getting any air. With motor running they go straight to the floor. Sounds to me like I got screwed on the Caliper your thoughts?

Shelby427 05-17-2011 11:27 AM

YEP! Just cause the number on the box is right doesn't mean the part inside is.

The bleeder is on top as air rises in the fluid, it doesn't drop.

Take it back and have another clerk pull another one for you. *

Most likely it's a caliper for a front mount on the spindle instead of a rear mount.
Make sense?

* or go to another CQ store tell em what happened and they should take care of it.

Peepers 05-17-2011 11:29 AM

x2^^^ the bleeder should be on top. I just ordered new calipers for my truck and there are two different numbers, one for the left, and one for the right.

sevenservices 05-17-2011 11:37 AM

wrong side caliper... upside down maybe? x3, bleeder should be on the top as air rises.

neverfastenough1 05-17-2011 02:19 PM

Should have installed the hose and then checked the brakes to see if it still locked up. The hose is more tan often the culprit when the brakes release over time. A stuck caliper stays stuck. Try the old caliper with the new hose. If it works just take the new caliper back.

hookuspookus 05-17-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamunelk (Post 1244227)
Hi all, I am hoping you can provide me with some advice. I recently had my front breaks (calipers & Roters) at my local shop. Right front brake was grabbing (to the point of smoking) so I scheduled for a warranty repair. Unfortunately mechanics wife got very sick and he is unable to work on it. She is in a medically induces coma so totally understood. He said sounds like we got a bad caliper or hose. So I went to the same parts store he uses and got a new caliper and hose. Less than a thousand on the rotor. Only put a couple of hundred miles before the problem. So I replace the hose and begin to install caliper. Noticed that the bleeder was at the lower end of the caliper. Always thought they were on top. Compared to one I took off and the the bleeder is on the top not bottom. Take Caliper back to CarQuest and they say it is the correct one. I am a little suspicious but, go ahead and install. Bleed breaks and notice write off that something is not right. Caliper is locked up (No wheel turn). Pressure will build and not getting any air. With motor running they go straight to the floor. Sounds to me like I got screwed on the Caliper your thoughts?

he gave you the left side caliper

dreamunelk 05-18-2011 11:27 PM

Thanks all for the help. Replaced caliper and everything seems fine. Only did about a 10 mile test drive but, all appears functional.

Yes, I did take back to CQ and got a ration when I said ti was the wrong one. The pulled one from the back room and it was the same. They kept saying our computer says this is the left side caliper. So I chose to believe them. I deal with them because they have a good reputation. I am not a mechanic and assumed they new what they were doing. Ended up going to Napa and getting another caliper. I plan to take wrong part back to CQ but, seem to have lost my receipt.

The problem was with the caliper. It was froze solid even after removing break line and loosening bleeder. Changed the break line because I had it my hand basically and I have almost 200k miles on my jeep. A good share on logging roads and other.

thanks again