Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2011 soft top leak question (tried the search) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2011-soft-top-leak-question-tried-the-search-94198.html)

Jim11787 05-17-2011 08:19 PM

2011 soft top leak question (tried the search)
 
I know that the 2011 has a new soft top design. Rained very hard today and my 4 door leaked. I put on my seatbelt and it was wet. Passenger front was the same. The rugs are wet behind the front seats- seems water leaked in down the plastic covering that covers the seatbelt. I used the search function but couldn't find anything on the 2011. Anyone have experience with this or could point me to a solution? I'm going to take it in to service this problem but would like to be educated when I go in. Also worried about getting mold- I have bad allergies. Thanks.

jailguard 05-17-2011 08:23 PM

I'm taking mine in on friday...3rd Friday in a row..They replaced my passenger header clip and said that should do it..rained like hell in Jersey yesterday..goin in for a water test on Friday..ugh

Dgdds91 05-17-2011 08:57 PM

I have my 4 door about two weeks and it has been back twice for a leak on the passenger side coming from under the front door and down the sill plate. The rug is soaked and I'm pissed. Happened with the hard top and now with the soft top! Bringing it in for the missing skid plate and for the leak as soon as the dealer has a loaner for me.

SeaComms 05-18-2011 08:04 AM

Try this one, I havent seen a thread specific to the 2011, but I dont believe it will be any different to the 2010 as far as the leaks are concerned.

http://www.jeep-club.net/graphics/ma..._Leaks_All.pdf

svtflybye 05-19-2011 03:03 PM

just noticed mine!! front floorboards soaked so i called dealer and was told leak specialists are in on wensdays!!LEAK SPECIALISTS HA HA WAT A PHUKIN JOKE !!jeep build seems to be really piss poor the carpet miscuts/leaks/ plastic push-ins/ rattles and true lack of power+terrible gas mileage IM THINKN I MADE A MISTAKE!!

popstop785 05-19-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtflybye
just noticed mine!! front floorboards soaked so i called dealer and was told leak specialists are in on wensdays!!LEAK SPECIALISTS HA HA WAT A PHUKIN JOKE !!jeep build seems to be really piss poor the carpet miscuts/leaks/ plastic push-ins/ rattles and true lack of power+terrible gas mileage IM THINKN I MADE A MISTAKE!!

It's a jeep thing, you don't understand.

jkaufman_95 05-19-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popstop785

It's a jeep thing, you don't understand.

Yep. And real jeeps don't have carpet.

Shelby427 05-19-2011 03:21 PM

Oh lordy, leak specialists! All the ones I've ever dealt with in the business were either fly by night places, made it worse, made a mess, and never fixed a vehicle.

Silicone and urethane are their tools. They think if they pump enough in there it will fix anything. Good luck having to remove something afterwards or have to go back in and clean out the mess to fix it right.

Find a dealer that actually has their OWN department that does this. Ours was done in the service dept if it was a small item, or in my collision dept if it was a biggie.

The techs, especially the body techs know how the body is built/sealed.

And water leaks are never where you see em coming in at. Water flows. A leak in the back could be coming in the front and traveling down a seam to the first place it can find an exit.

Shelby427 05-19-2011 03:33 PM

And yeah I have to agree, it is a Jeep, least it's supposed to be. A soft top and leaks/noise go hand in hand, (as others have stated it's a Jeep thing), along with crappy mileage.

A Jeep is an old nasty stinking burro. Will bite you any time it gets the chance, will fight you, won't budge at times, cantankerous, ornery, is vocal, but it's the only beast you want when it's nasty out and you gotta get through. That PITA is sure footed, going where no horse could, and give it an apple or a sack of grain and you are good.

Heck was one of the first things I told the wife when we bought hers, after I taught her the wave. And we still bought it. And she's as happy as a pig in poo with it.

Leaks/rattles/ crappy mileage/ broken parts, and EVERY time she comes in the house she's smiling and says "Boy I like my Jeep, it's so fun to run around in"

jkaufman_95 05-19-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby427
Oh lordy, leak specialists! All the ones I've ever dealt with in the business were either fly by night places, made it worse, made a mess, and never fixed a vehicle.

Silicone and urethane are their tools. They think if they pump enough in there it will fix anything. Good luck having to remove something afterwards or have to go back in and clean out the mess to fix it right.

Find a dealer that actually has their OWN department that does this. Ours was done in the service dept if it was a small item, or in my collision dept if it was a biggie.

The techs, especially the body techs know how the body is built/sealed.

And water leaks are never where you see em coming in at. Water flows. A leak in the back could be coming in the front and traveling down a seam to the first place it can find an exit.

Exactly about a leak in the back could come from the front. My commander had a leak on the floor pans and it was coming from the sunroof drains being clogged.

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popstop785 (Post 1250183)
It's a jeep thing, you don't understand.

good one i was thinking i would get a stupid answer HAHA im thinking mensa graduate arlington texas? or harvard ??THanX :whistling:

jailguard 05-22-2011 07:10 PM

^^^^^^^

Very funny

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1250196)
Yep. And real jeeps don't have carpet.

so my fake jeep really spells range rover thanx! wow :banghead:

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailguard (Post 1255325)
^^^^^^^

Very funny

eastern state ??s.brunswick

jkaufman_95 05-22-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtflybye
so my fake jeep really spells range rover thanx! wow :banghead:

All I'm saying is you don't see a ton of trail jeeps with carpet. It gets wet and rots it gets muddy and is impossible to clean.
You come on here and say how much you hate your wrangler and expect a good response?

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:22 PM

i dont recall typin hate but pissed about 35gs on a hot tub

jkaufman_95 05-22-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtflybye
jeep build seems to be really piss poor the carpet miscuts/leaks/ plastic push-ins/ rattles and true lack of power+terrible gas mileage IM THINKN I MADE A MISTAKE!!

sorry. You only said this the word hate wasn't in there but it's pretty damn implied.

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:36 PM

I see your post count and respect that but put yourself in my shoes u would think the same **** thing if u just spent 35gs on a tub dont bs!! im new to the jeep world and yes i shoulda checked consumer reports or some sites but I didnt think a vehicle thats been around since '41 should leak!!have u looked at the probably 150 or so other posts with all the same topics TOP LEAKING doesnt sound right does it ??OR IS IT A JEEP THING

jkaufman_95 05-22-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtflybye
I see your post count and respect that but put yourself in my shoes u would think the same PHUKIN thing if u just spent 35gs on a tub dont bs!! im new to the jeep world and yes i shoulda checked consumer reports or some sites but I didnt think a vehicle thats been around since '41 should leak!!have u looked at the probably 150 or so other posts with all the same topics TOP LEAKING doesnt sound right does it ??OR IS IT A JEEP THING

It is a jeep thing. They leaked in 41 they leak now. Chrysler is trying to make it right for you. Get a hard top if your really concerned. I have a soft and hard top. Never used the soft top so I don't know if it leaks. But if it does so what? Pull the carpet out and the drain plugs. I don't melt when I get a little wet. And I guess you should have put some investigation into the vehicle you bought. I know I looked at hundreds of jeeps and knew specifically what I wanted and wouldn't settle for less.

jailguard 05-22-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtflybye (Post 1255329)
eastern state ??s.brunswick

Yardville..central NJ..

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:50 PM

it is a hard top and if it leaks so what WOW!! DO U GET IT?? A NEW TRUCK/ JEEP/ CAR IS NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAK JEEP THING OR NOT!!P in THE WIND

svtflybye 05-22-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailguard (Post 1255424)
Yardville..central NJ..

thats a block off 130 kinda?? right??was lookin @ houses there last sunday,and stopped @columbus flea m. 4 the pizza

jailguard 05-22-2011 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=svtflybye;1255432]thats a block off 130 kinda?? right??was lookin @ houses there last sunday,and stopped @columbus flea m. 4 the pizza

yea...near mastoris diner..check out this thread.next Sunday in Cherry Hill




http://www.wranglerforum.com/f93/off...7.htmlMastoris

jailguard 05-22-2011 07:59 PM

Great pizza btw

jkaufman_95 05-22-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svtflybye
it is a hard top and if it leaks so what WOW!! DO U GET IT?? A NEW TRUCK/ JEEP/ CAR IS NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAK JEEP THING OR NOT!!PISSIN in THE WIND

Every vehicle on the road has issues. I did a service call today on a 2011 MCI motorcoach with an air leak on two windows. That's a $700,000 bus. And it leaks. I worked on another one that was a 2006 today with an evap system leak that was running down the floor. Again Chrysler is trying to fix your issue. But I think you should go back to a mustang. You don't get the jeep thing. Can you name one vehicle that does not have some sort of issue from the factory??

Dgdds91 05-22-2011 09:13 PM

They should list that the wrangler hard and soft tops leak in the brochure then! The salesman should also be the first one to tell you that the jeeps leak! It is ridiculous to say it is a jeep thing! I have had other soft top vehicles without leaks! When you pay 38 gs for a new vehicle, you expect it not to leak water inside the cabin. I am sure many other new jeep owners feel the same way and rightfully so. Chrysler knows that there is an issue and should have fixed it years ago, so this kind of response from their customers would never even come up. This is just one of the reasons so many people buy foreign cars today. The product and customer service is so much better. I was even told by the dealer themselves, that they know I am coming from high end cars, that this is not BMW or Porsche and that I should not expect that kind of service! Who says that when you are trying to make a customer happy? It is just plain ridiculous!

jkaufman_95 05-22-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdds91
They should list that the wrangler hard and soft tops leak in the brochure then! The salesman should also be the first one to tell you that the jeeps leak! It is ridiculous to say it is a jeep thing! I have had other soft top vehicles without leaks! When you pay 38 gs for a new vehicle, you expect it not to leak water inside the cabin. I am sure many other new jeep owners feel the same way and rightfully so. Chrysler knows that there is an issue and should have fixed it years ago, so this kind of response from their customers would never even come up. This is just one of the reasons so many people buy foreign cars today. The product and customer service is so much better. I was even told by the dealer themselves, that they know I am coming from high end cars, that this is not BMW or Porsche and that I should not expect that kind of service! Who says that when you are trying to make a customer happy? It is just plain ridiculous!

Again. The two coaches I worked on today didn't advertise air leaks! My freightliner didn't advertise the gas gauge was off FROM THE FACTORY. and from what I've seen this is an issue with the 2011's only. So it would be hard to know about it for years. And yeah foreign cars are great! Ever heard of Toyota ??? Their foreign and have much bigger problems than your top leaking.

Dgdds91 05-22-2011 09:30 PM

You said they leaked in 41 and that they leak now! Thats why I said what I said. If the company that makes it knows they leak, they should fix it and everyone is happy. If my BMW or my Porsche leaked, you can be sure as s**t, it would be fixed ASAP, most likely the first time around! I know stuff happens, but this is affecting many new jeep owners. I also see it is happening in various model years, not just the 2011.

monstrousmac 05-23-2011 01:36 AM

Not to be mean, but it is a Jeep, people mainly buy these vehicles for their off road capabilities and to enjoy the life of freedom with the Top and doors off. I am sorry you are upset about a leak. I have a 1974 CJ-5 and a 2010 4Dr Islander. Yes, my 2010 soft top leaks, am I concerned, no. I figure it this way, when I go wheelin it is going to get wet inside or when I get caught in a thunderstorm, which just happened last week. I pulled the drain plugs, and the next day it was sunny and it dried out. I will tell you this though, I would not trade my Jeeps for the world, there is nothing like driving with the Top down and doors off.

Matter of a fact, my wife now wants to park her 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. She wants the Jeep Islander and told me I can buy another Jeep Wrangler. She said I could go ahead and get a 2Dr Rubicon. So, we will have 3 Jeeps and the Grand Caravan. The Van will probably hardly ever get driving, but she wants to keep it for when family comes to visit, we will have plenty of room. It seats 7 and still has plenty of lugauage room.

I love my wife, how could you not, when see says I will take the 4Dr and you can buy a new 2dr rubicon. Now , I just need to see whether I want the 2012 or Just go with the 2011 COD Rubicon. The only reason I would get the C.O.D is because it comes stock 5.10 gears. The normal Rubicons only come with 4.10.

Jwbaseball33 05-23-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdds91
You said they leaked in 41 and that they leak now! Thats why I said what I said. If the company that makes it knows they leak, they should fix it and everyone is happy. If my BMW or my Porsche leaked, you can be sure as s**t, it would be fixed ASAP, most likely the first time around! I know stuff happens, but this is affecting many new jeep owners. I also see it is happening in various model years, not just the 2011.

If you wanna get stuff fixed the first time around then go back to your BMW or Porsche. When we see you in the ditch on a winter snowy day, we will still be glad to drive down into it and ask if you're ok and then proceed to pull you out, and of course be sure to let you know you shoulda stuck with the wrangler. I guess you wouldn't understand!!

Neither would I though cause I have a 2011 2dr Rubicon with dual tops and neither one of them leak!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.