Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF Site Help & Support (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/)
-   -   Ability to edit post (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/ability-to-edit-post-94587.html)

yomondo 05-20-2011 11:28 AM

Ability to edit post

Any chance we all could be allowed to edit our own posts indefinitely, instead of within only 15 minutes? It would sure make organizing runs and other gatherings much easier if we could just update the first post with the current/latest information, so that anyone can just go to the first post to get all the current info instead of reading the entire thread in order to be sure they've got all the necessary info.

Kate 05-20-2011 11:32 AM

I second the notion.
Sometimes I find a typo or need to make a correction and am left forever with egg on my face :(

Janet H 05-20-2011 11:34 AM

If you have a post that needs to be edited please contact a mod - we're happy to help.

shewoolf 05-20-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 1251692)
Any chance we all could be allowed to edit our own posts indefinitely, instead of within only 15 minutes? It would sure make organizing runs and other gatherings much easier if we could just update the first post with the current/latest information, so that anyone can just go to the first post to get all the current info instead of reading the entire thread in order to be sure they've got all the necessary info.

I agree 100% this is how we do it at another form I belong to. We just keep the first post updated so everyone knows what is going on. Makes it easier then digging through the thread to find the info.

yomondo 05-20-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 1251695)
Sometimes I find a typo or need to make a correction and am left forever with egg on my face :(

LOL! Yah, that too!

Kate 05-20-2011 11:53 AM

We do the same thing when organizing club runs. It makes it so much simpler.

This is the only forum, of the dozen or so that I participate on that doesn't allow post editing. I addressed the issue sometime back but didn't have any success then. Maybe things can change now.

Janet H 05-20-2011 11:56 AM

If you are an event organizer we can help you out in this regard and specially enable the edit period on a post so you can update attendance etc. Please just contact a mod for help with this. For routine posts however the edit limit remains.

shewoolf 05-20-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 1251744)
If you are an event organizer we can help you out in this regard and specially enable the edit period on a post so you can update attendance etc. Please just contact a mod for help with this. For routine posts however the edit limit remains.

Thanks this is Great to know!!! :thumb:

yomondo 05-20-2011 12:07 PM

Thanks for your help Janet. :wavey:

jeepjones 05-20-2011 12:10 PM

It's not like it takes a lot of time or effort to change the forum board settings, the limited time edit rule sucks.

Janet H 05-20-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepjones (Post 1251776)
It's not like it takes a lot of time or effort to change the forum board settings, the limited time edit rule sucks.

The edit window on posts is 30 minutes. This should be ample time to fix typos and add additional thoughts. We have this limit in place because in the past we have had substantial problems with folks going back and changing their posts after another member has responded and essentially changing the intent of the discussion. We've also had entire posts removed which disrupts thread continuity and is sort of insultinging to those who took the time to respond.

Members rarely go back into a thread and reread old content looking for changes so if you edit a post to add a thought days after you made the post, most will never see the change.

Mods are willing to assist with any needed edits and we have this limit in place to keep the board running smoothly.

Thanks for understanding.:flowers: