Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Custom bumper vs. Airbag (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/custom-bumper-vs-airbag-94649.html)

Bluemonster 05-20-2011 06:56 PM

Custom bumper vs. Airbag

Hey guys, I have a 98 TJ and I'm going to start my custom front bumper build here soon, and I started thinking about the airbag. I will be completely removing the stock front bumper to start from scratch and most likely lowering the winch I have on there a bit. I realize it takes a certain level of impact to set the airbag off (considering I trashed the rear-end of a pontiac G6 without an airbag going off, or a scratch...) but I just don't want to have to worry about an $800 airbag replacement when I'm fiddling around with the front end. Let me know what you think, please!

Scoob 05-20-2011 06:59 PM

The bumper is not tied to the airbag in any way. A G force (type) sensor determines when the bag is deployed. The only way you could set off the bag by changing the bumper is if you used a wall to slam it into place.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-20-2011 07:16 PM

^^x2 and the airbag sensor - an accelerometer - is under the dash, below the console, in front of the shifter.

6InARowMakesItGo 05-20-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 1252441)
The bumper is not tied to the airbag in any way. A G force (type) sensor determines when the bag is deployed. The only way you could set off the bag by changing the bumper is if you used a wall to slam it into place.

i wouldn't advise that:banghead::rofl:

Bluemonster 05-30-2011 05:54 PM

awesome, so I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice guys, and I hope I won't be slamming into anything like a wall anytime soon Scoob ;)

Jerry Bransford 05-30-2011 06:02 PM

If you're making your own bumper, remember you don't have to overbuild it since they aren't being used as a battering ram. 3/16" is as thick/heavy as you should ever go with a bumper.

freeskier 05-30-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If you're making your own bumper, remember you don't have to overbuild it since they aren't being used as a battering ram. 3/16" is as thick/heavy as you should ever go with a bumper.

I disagree. IMO you can go to 1/4" depending on the application. I'll be making my rear crossmember/bumper out of 1/4" because it will be supporting the rear tub and must take a good hit and be safe for recovery points. Rather go overkill and never have to worry about it.

Jerry Bransford 05-30-2011 06:32 PM

Look at the best/most solid bumper "hardcore" commercially produced designs and you'll find that 3/16" is plenty. Really. The more weight you add unnecessarily, like 1/4" armor or bumpers, the worse your Jeep performs both on and offroad. :)

Shelby427 05-30-2011 07:45 PM

Or if you want to be sure, just disconnect the battery and give it ten minutes to let the circuit loose voltage.