Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Toying with the idea to sell

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  justinellis_04 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I'm just yanking your chain. In all reality though, if it's gotta be done then do it. It may be a little upsetting at the time, but what's the sense in running yourself dry if you could save a ton of money by getting a slightly more fuel efficient car? I know the feeling. I had to sell the boat a few years back just because gas was getting so expensive and mileage sucked. It sucks now, but who knows, maybe in a few months or years you could afford to buy another and start over!

#5 ·
Don't sell it. Try everything in your power to not sell. But again like stated before if you have no choice well you have no choice. I know how that is because a few weeks ago I was about to get rid of mine because of a situation that arose and I needed the cash but was able to get loan and sale was aborted. But good luck. Either way.

#6 ·
i drive about 80 miles round trip to work with mine right now... im spending about $75 a week in gas... i really need to get my tdi running.. if thats the only reason your selling thats not good enough... well i get it depends on what you make an hour... i am pulling 18 mpgs out of my 4.0 spd... its getting better as the weather warms.. i think you will regret selling it..i have thought about it so then i can get my tdi done and other stuff but i know i will kick myself in the ass if i sell this one.. it isnt worth it so i just hang onto it..

#7 ·
yea, i'll be in the same boat, 70+ miles round trip commute. I do love it. I first bought it for a "winter beater" to get me around in the snow and now I drive it more than my other car and enjoy it in the summer as well.

I'm just worried with the longer commute means more mileage so more gas and more potential wear and tear which could lead to more repairs.

#9 ·
Never sell land, cars or guns. :)

If you do sell a car, it has to go far away so you never see it again. Like an ex-girlfriend.

I had a commute for a few years that was 35 miles each way and I drove my '91 Renegade every day. Upgraded the air intake, a better coil, good spark plugs, exhaust upgrade, synthetic lube for everything, 170 degree thermostat and running 33x9.5 BFG All Terrains (I figured skinny tires = less rolling resistance, and I could still go off road; it worked, my records prove it). I'm nuts about my Renegade, and I have recorded every fill up since I bought it brand new to keep track of the mileage and what affect changes had on the mileage by using vehicle expense record books (available at office supply stored for $1-2). Since the majority of the driving was highway, I consistently received an average of 20 MPG as I was able to keep it at 55/65 most of the trip. Add in that the speedo and odometer were actually reading less than the distance/speed I was traveling (since I never adjusted the ratio to the speedo), the actual mileage was better. All the changes were not done all at once, but rather as normal maintenance.

The most surprising thing about my whole experiment was how the winter oxygenated fuel dropped my mileage from 19/20 to 16/17 when the gas stations switched over. Not a huge difference, but I could tell by my numbers and that I'd be short a day on the fill up schedule in the winter.

Part of the mileage was also driving habits. Downhill coasting in neutral, light throttle, etc. It takes an attitude adjustment to not have to race everywhere and give yourself time to get there. Not that I blocked traffic, but there just was no reason to race ahead since I could do the commute at 6am and return trip was around 3pm. When someone wants to race ahead, move over, smile, and think "please, find the police for me". :)

No, I'm not a "save the world greeine"; just cheap.

#10 ·
I sold my 77 CJ-7 a few years ago. It broke my heart, I gotta tell you right now. Since then, I've owned sports cars, convertibles, 4WD pickups.... now am back to the REAL vehicles, which are 2 JEEPS. I had a 90-mile commute for a long time, which is still about 45 miles (since we moved). My JEEP gets me to work when nobody else on the entire crew can make it, not even the boss. It has paid for itself (over and over) and I will afford whatever it takes to keep it in tip-top shape. The CJ gets a rest from those drives, though, LOL. I will never sell another JEEP. I will just keep them all and call it a collection, I guess.

#11 ·
A thought

Here's a thought, sell the BMW buy a couple a Honda Civics for the commute and use the rest of the monies on your Jeep. You know to spruce it up.

P.S. You're going to hate yourself the morning after you sign that title over to someone else.

#14 ·
I dont know your situation but what I do since I have a long commute is my wife has a Volkswagen that great on gas so I showed her how to handle the jeep real good to the point I feel safe with her driving it and I leave a couple days to her since she works literally down the street from the house and I take her car, we save on gas and now she loves the jeep as much as I do, so she agrees to Anything I want to do to it. It's a win win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.