Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Badland 12Klb Winch on Rough Country OEM Bumper Plate (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/badland-12klb-winch-on-rough-country-oem-bumper-plate-95398.html)

jk'n 05-25-2011 10:00 PM

Badland 12Klb Winch on Rough Country OEM Bumper Plate

I got a Badlands 12,000 lb winch and a Rough Country winch plate and Rugged Ridge 20,000 winch accessories kit. I got the winch at my local Harbor Freight store. Follow the links above to see where I got them and what the details are on them.

IndyJeepMan 05-25-2011 10:05 PM

Looks like a pretty good winch especially for harbor freights reputation.

If you will after you use it winching on different things post a review. I'm always interested in other options! :thumb:

I just know for $549.00 you can pick up an M8000 or the new Warn series of winches.

jk'n 05-25-2011 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I ordered them on the 20th and they arrived today.

Pictures below.

Attachment 51032

The winch is almost 100 lbs and is difficult to move around. I compared the mounting holes on the winch to the holes on the plate and they match up.

Attachment 51033

The picture doesn't do justice to the actual parts. The winch plate is approximately 1/4" plate steel. Very heavy. The D rings are the biggest ones I've seen on a passenger vehicle. I haven't determined the weight limit of them yet. That information was not contained in the literature supplied with the kit. The hardware for mounting the winch plate to the top of the bumper is all really solid looking stuff. I'll take pictures of the assembly as I go.

jk'n 05-25-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 1262307)
Looks like a pretty good winch especially for harbor freights reputation.

If you will after you use it winching on different things post a review. I'm always interested in other options! :thumb:

I just know for $549.00 you can pick up an M8000 or the new Warn series of winches.

I had considered this before the purchase. My reasoning for the larger winch was that I figured it would probably idle for most of the loads that I give it. They included a 3 year warranty with it. I may end up with a better winch down the road but for right now, I hope this one works out. I'm a Tim Allen kind of guy...more power. Those were all on the high side of what I wanted to spend for a 12,000 lb limit winch.

I am going to hump a bunch of trees with it once it is on the bumper and will get back here with some feedback on how it performs.

deathphoenix99 05-25-2011 11:21 PM

Can't wait to hear your review, I've been looking at their new winch line, I know the old one actually had pretty positive reviews. I know right now, with a 20% off coupon, I could get the one you have for $484 after taxes, and then add the warranty cost. Good luck to you!

jk'n 05-31-2011 10:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got started working on my winch project tonight. The winch is now mounted on my bumper using the Rough Country winch plate. A couple of notes. None of the fasteners that hold the bumper plate or the air dam were easily removed. I hacked them up getting them off. The good news is that they don't show and were able to be re-used. The plastic plate just behind the bumper does not appear to be re-useable after the install. That part looks like it is discarded? Maybe someone who has the Rough Country winch plate can say what they did on their install with this plate.

Before taking the bumper off, it is important to free the wiring harness. This is done by gripping the anchors and pulling them out in a spiral fashion until they release. It takes quite a lot of energy to pull them out.

Also prior to removing the bumper, the fog lights need to be disconnected. I'm showing a close up of the light and the plug. Notice on the plug the release tab. If pulled up gingerly the connector will release easily. Picture follows:

Attachment 51802
Attachment 51803

Removing the bumper required undoing 8 nuts, 4 on each side of the bumper.

Attachment 51804

This is what the winch looks like sitting on my bumper.

Attachment 51805

Wiring will be next. I ran out of time tonight. It took 4 hours to remove the bumper and reinstall with the winch mounted to the winch plate before install of the winch plate. More pictures will follow as I complete the wiring.

MTH 05-31-2011 10:34 PM

This looks awesome JK'n.

12k!?!? Wowzer--you'll tear your jeep to pieces before it burns out. Toss in a snatch block and you'll be moving tanks.

How about the sag you'll get out of the 100 pounds? Did you get spacers? A small HD lift maybe? OME makes a nice 2" one.

deathphoenix99 06-01-2011 07:21 AM

Can't wait to hear some testing results.

jk'n 06-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1272837)
This looks awesome JK'n.

12k!?!? Wowzer--you'll tear your jeep to pieces before it burns out. Toss in a snatch block and you'll be moving tanks.

How about the sag you'll get out of the 100 pounds? Did you get spacers? A small HD lift maybe? OME makes a nice 2" one.

Wowzer is right! Man, the thing dwarfs the bumper. Here is some things I'm finding out relative to your post and some of my first impressions. First, I'm impressed with the no cutting or drilling install relative to the security of the plate to it's mount point. The hardware supplied looks more than adequate to handle any load I'm going to throw at it. Second, my first experience releasing the cable so that I could get it through the rollers that are mounted to the front of the plate showed that the mechanism was precise and solid not loose and sloppy, so first impression was a good one. Third, glancing through the instructions, something that I was not that aware of but with my engineering background makes sense, is that on the first wrap on the spindle for the cable (when fully deployed all 90 feet) the winch can pull 12,000 lbs but decreases to about 6,000 as you get all the cable back into the spool. This was something I hadn't considered in the initial purchase. This would be the same with ANY winch because it has to do with force developed from the torque generated by the motor through the spool to the cable. It makes me glad that I got the 12,000 rather than the 8,000 lb capacity winch. Since I have the Rubicon and it has the heavy duty suspension, the bumper barely moved when I set the assembly on top of it. For now there are no plans to compensate with a small lift or boost in the front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathphoenix99 (Post 1273427)
Can't wait to hear some testing results.

I feel like a young pup and every tree looks like a bi+ch. :whistling: It's going to take some time but I am itching to get on a steep grade and attach it to a tree to see what it does.

deathphoenix99 06-01-2011 02:30 PM

Can't wait. And most, if not all winches are rated in the first wrap. Even Warn rates them this way. So if you get a snatch block, you can make up for the loss if need be, or shorten the cable if you only need short recoveries. Eventually I may get the 12,000lb for my Ramcharger, just need the funds first.

jk'n 06-01-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathphoenix99 (Post 1274085)
Can't wait. And most, if not all winches are rated in the first wrap. Even Warn rates them this way. So if you get a snatch block, you can make up for the loss if need be, or shorten the cable if you only need short recoveries. Eventually I may get the 12,000lb for my Ramcharger, just need the funds first.

I purchased the 20,000 lb rugged ridge "kit". It has all that stuff in it. I'm like a kid in a candy shop right now itching to start using it.

jk'n 06-05-2011 07:22 PM

Just finished the remainder of the winch installation tasks; the wiring. Then, of course I added the hook to the end of the winch line and the D rings to the place provided on the Rough Country winch plate mounting hardware. The D rings provided by Rough Country did not fit the mount place on THEIR hardware. Then, I went and got the D rings provided in my Rugged Ridge kit and those fit nicely. The D rings looked like a cheap Chinese knock off next to the ones in the Rugged Ridge kit. When I tried to get the Rough Country D rings onto the place provided for them because they were just a tad too tiny, I managed to scrape all of the paint off of the end of the bushings that they mount to. No big deal really, they will get their paint stripped off eventually from use I guess but I am going to look up Rough Country service to see if they can provide a set of D rings that actually fit. After all, I paid for them; they should fit.

I am going to prepare a couple of pictures I took with the winch wired. They will follow soon.

kmccon 06-05-2011 07:38 PM

I had the same issue with the supplied D rings. I ended up with a set of black rings from Amazon-com. You are right, their D rings are not worth what you pay for them. That is too bad because the rest is well done.

jk'n 06-05-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmccon (Post 1282841)
I had the same issue with the supplied D rings. I ended up with a set of black rings from Amazon-com. You are right, their D rings are not worth what you pay for them. That is too bad because the rest is well done.

I agree on the quality of the Rough Country winch plate minus the D rings is excellent. Having D rings that fit though would have been a home run for them instead of a black eye.

jk'n 06-05-2011 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The photo below shows the wiring to the battery. On the positive side those three silver square "cans" are three 50 amp automatic circuit breakers. They are in a parallel configuration allowing 150 amps to flow under load conditions before opening.

Attachment 52310

This next picture shows the winch on the bumper with wiring. I was able to sneak the wires in using the same path as other wires just on the inside of the fender. The length of wire provided by the Badlands winch was about the right length to get to the battery with no adjustments. All in all a pretty decent install with the only glitch being the D rings.

Attachment 52311

jk'n 08-02-2011 12:44 PM

First recovery....forktruck offroading got stuck

2 Attachment(s)
Next door neighbor got a new fork truck and it was a lot bigger than he expected. Won't fit in the garage or under his deck like his previous ones. So, he decided to store it out in the back yard. Needless to say, it got stuck in the soft stuff. He was going to wait until his buddy got there with a truck to pull him out until I reminded him about my winch. He looked at the winch and said 1200 lbs huh? That won't get me out. I said....nooo...that says 12000 lbs! So, he said, lets give it a go. Below is a picture of the stuck fork truck in the dark and as it sits today after rescue.

Attachment 60793

Attachment 60794

The fork truck can lift 8,000 lbs and weighs in just above 12,000 lbs. As you can see the cable was anchored to a tree, then threaded through a snatch block anchored to the fork truck, and then to the winch. The front of the jeep lowered a bit during the pull but the fork truck was easily pulled out of the hole that it had made for itself in the soft stuff. Not bad for its first recovery.....but not what I had expected to recover on its first time out of the box.

pking911 08-02-2011 04:32 PM

can you get more pics of the front of the jeep with the winch and stock bumper?

thanks!

ArmyCop 09-07-2011 02:50 PM

Very good Harbor Freight wench information on this threat. I'm saving link to it. Thanks.

wolf1956 09-08-2011 10:45 PM

I have been looking at that 12000lb winch at Harbor Freight for awhile now. Just haven't seen many reviews on it. However after reading about it in this thread, I think I will be making a trip to Harbor Freight soon.

Duffyc04 09-08-2011 10:50 PM

Great post and thanks for the pics jk'n!

3JKs1H1 09-08-2011 10:53 PM

"the cheapest guy spends the most". - That was me.

I bought two MileMarker 12,000 rated electric winches. Front and back.
Both lasted a year before they started to corrode and the internals either broke, or just quick working. I boxed them up, mailed them to the Milemarker CEO in Florida, and told him his company produced a crappy product.

I installed a Warn 9.5xp on the front and a massive Warn 16,000 on the rear with systhethic lines, never had a problem since - work every time, don't smoke or corrode. 4 years and some salty roads later, they look like new.

That is the route I will go with on my next vehicle, probably my current rubicon.

BruceUSA 09-12-2011 10:16 PM

Coupon for winch at $299

Harbor Freight sent out a coupon today, September 12, via email for their 12,000lb Badland winch (Item 28142). Price with coupon $299 IN STORE ONLY. Limit 4. Valid through 9/30/11

I don't own one . . . but I was looking for a review and saw your discussion. Thought you might like to know.

Bruce

BruceUSA 09-12-2011 10:33 PM

I think this will link to the coupon:

Coupon Display

aelwero 09-12-2011 11:09 PM

had really good results with mine so far, but I put the winch inside my stock bumper, and I dismantled the control box and swapped the cables, the long cables to the winch and the short cables to the battery (why don't they come that way to begin with???), and mounted the control box under the hood right in front o my battery. I have to open the hood to plug in the remote, but it hasn't been an issue, and if it ever does, I can always rig up a wireless remote for it. I've heard a lot of bad things about HF winches, but after somewhere around 10 recoveries, I think a little common sense probably reduces a lot of the issues people have with em.

jk'n 09-13-2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceUSA (Post 1564556)
Harbor Freight sent out a coupon today, September 12, via email for their 12,000lb Badland winch (Item 28142). Price with coupon $299 IN STORE ONLY. Limit 4. Valid through 9/30/11

I don't own one . . . but I was looking for a review and saw your discussion. Thought you might like to know.

Bruce

Nice.

I kind of wish I could have waited and pounced like you did to get that price. I'm just now beginning to understand how Harbor Freight works. They are truly an impulse buying place.

Regarding my winch, I am happy with it so far. Could I have gotten a Warn? Yah, but at what price? I think when I looked, it was almost double what I paid for the Badlands for the same pull limit. I've done one rescue with it so far and was happy with the results. She pulled 15,000 lbs of fork truck out of a hole that the fork truck had bottomed out in. I used a snatch block and the fork truck moved right off of the spot where is was stuck. My neighbor was impressed with the rescue. He didn't think that my jeep would budge his fork truck.

How will it fare over time? Well, to protect my investment, I'm thinking of putting a cover on it. Even if I don't I'm sure it will be a long time before it has problems due to corrosion. I'm told the Warn stands up to weather better. By the time weather does this one in, perhaps I'll have enough for a Warn? Right now, I'll keep using mine at a price that, for me, was affordable.

tf4101 09-16-2011 01:51 PM

I recently purchased a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited. First Jeep and have wanted one for a while. Anyways, I have been looking for a winch and have read the threads for the HF winch. Not bad for the price, my buddy says that they are made from Warn. Not sure if I believe that, didnít really discuss it further. But anyways I was emailed a coupon for the HF 12000 winch for 299. The coupon says in store only, But I put the following coupon code in 72259331 and it worked online. I still had to cover the $13 dollars for shipping, but I easily save on gas and tax. I just placed the order and so far so good, no emails from customer service about shipping this and how its supposed to be in store only. Also there was no prompt for the extended warranty, I will contact customer service to see if I can add the warranty.

tcass 09-16-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyCop (Post 1548485)
Very good Harbor Freight wench information on this threat. I'm saving link to it. Thanks.

Arggg.....Bring on the Wenches :drool:.

cass

jk'n 09-16-2011 02:13 PM

So far, very happy with mine. At that price, you have done well. I paid about 125.00 more for mine. Still not bad. I may have waited if I had known they regularly put them on sale. Good catch.

jk'n 09-16-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcass (Post 1576020)
Arggg.....Bring on the Wenches :drool:.

cass

Arrrrrrr......didn't catch that....:rofl:

One wench for each side of me bumper Arrrrrrrh. :D

tf4101 09-16-2011 02:27 PM

JK'N: Saw the Bertera plate holder. I am from Greenfield, now up in the Green mtn state. Still head down that way everyother weekend. Have to find some trails down there to test her out.