Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   how do i change front axle u-joints? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/how-do-i-change-front-axle-u-joints-95487.html)

jarradfiorito 05-26-2011 03:33 PM

how do i change front axle u-joints?

my front axle u joints on my dana 30 are shot ( or maybe just the caps are) but nonetheless they click everytime my wheel goes around and its getting to be very annoying... but i have never changed any u joints before... how should i go about this? are there any tricks or anything to make my like easier?

YJPunisher213 05-26-2011 03:35 PM

Pulling the axle isnt too bad. Your going to need a press to get the new ones in. I pulled my axle and the local auto shop pressed the new one in for $10.

Matcheen 05-26-2011 09:20 PM

Mark the yoke and the drive shaft so they line up again, the pull the straps to release the old u-joint and driveshaft. Pull the clips using a pair of needle nose pliers and a small flat head screw driver. You may have to tap the U-joint out to get the caps off, carefull, it only goes one way.

Repeat in reverse to put it back together, should fit nice and snug into the yoke (give it a good shove). Easy.

rykemc 05-26-2011 11:39 PM

You can use a vice as a press also. Use different size sockets to push the caps out. One size socket to fit the diameter of the yoke, one size to fit inside the yoke where the cap is. Close the vice so that it pushed the cap into the socket you used that was the same diameter as the yoke/axle.

P.S.
Nice PM you sent me.

Reaperonin 05-27-2011 02:36 AM

You can also just put a socket under the end that isn't" out" smack it with wrench. Pops right out. Lol

Matcheen 05-28-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaperonin (Post 1264703)
You can also just put a socket under the end that isn't" out" smack it with wrench. Pops right out. Lol

:thumb: B, F and I (Brute Force and Ignorance)

yj93ben 05-28-2011 10:32 AM

U-joint Location

Guys,
I think he's referring to the joints on the axle shafts, not the driveline. So, I'm guessing he's asking how to pull an axle and replace the U-joints.

I suppose we need his input on exactly what U-joint he's talking about.

As far as getting it done right, if you don't have a press or a large bench vice YJPunisher213 has the right idea.

jarradfiorito 05-28-2011 11:28 AM

yes, i was referring to the axle shaft u-joints

rebelhillbilly 05-28-2011 11:40 AM

if u are talkin about the front axle for the 4x4 that means u have to pull you hubs off and be able to get to you half shafts. then press out the ujoint

yj93ben 05-28-2011 05:01 PM

Easy

Here's the easiest way. Pull your front tires off. Pull your calipers off the rotors(Do not remove brake lines) hang out of the way with zippy ties or baling wire. Pull your rotors off. Good time to replace brake pads, if needed. On the back side of the spindles you'll see three 12 point bolts, pull them off. Then slide the hub and axle out as one assembly. May require a little persuasion with a hammer or a slide hammer, if you have one. Then find somebody with a press or large vice. I have done it and seen it done with the sockets and BFH, done with sockets and a large C-clamp. If your time and sanity is valuable to you. Take your axles to a shop with a press. If you have a driveline shop near by, they usually do it real cheap.

Captainrichhill 05-28-2011 07:41 PM

just did mine on my 1990 jy and not too tough be careful not to damage the axle seal when you remove yhe axles. search youtube for a video, I saw one that was very helpful and even had torque values in it.

GOOD LUCK

jarradfiorito 05-28-2011 11:35 PM

thanks alot guys...huge help