Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Weird stall? what the heck?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jp2611 
#1 ·
Ok,
this could just be me being stupid OR something else. i took in my 98 sahara to the 'stealership" on tuesday just to get a once over of everything after i bough t this jeep. It has 48000 miles on it and was TRULY taken care of(even told that by the mechanic at the dealership). So after their 40 point inspection, he said my car is in EXCELLENt condition , but that my radiator needed to be replaced, (which i did). if some of you recall, i've only had the jeep three weeks. i let the jeep sit a few days, and tonight decided to start it up to move it back into my driveway for the night. I really didn't let it (warm up) per say as it is 45 degrees here in titletown. The temp gauge was def at or below 100 on the gauge.
i live on a street that curves around, so just a little acceleration to get out of my driveway, then a slow acceleration to a the small curve on my street than i pretty much have to coast (AUTO transmission) to the stopsign. As i being my coast the jeep starts to shake and ten stalls. this has happened to me twice before, both in teh EXACT same spot. i have to throw the jeep back in park and fire thh engine again, it always starts up, and then runs fine the rest of the day. i never seem to have this problem if I am using the jeep regualrly.
AM i just STUPID and not realizing i need to let this engine warm up as it IS twelve years old? or is this a precurser to something else?

See less See more
#3 ·
Pull the IAC out of the throttle body, clean the tip on it and the passage way it goes into on the throttle body, with carb cleaner.

Most likely it's got some build up and the IAC is hanging up when it's cold.

While you are there, open the butterfly on the throttle body and look for a deposit ring below it. This can cause the butterfly to not close fully. More carb cleaner, and an old toothbrush if necessary.

IAC, Idle Air Control

#4 · (Edited)
That's one problem with older vehicles with low miles, means they been sitting a lot. Similar thing happened to a friend with his 2000 @ 50k. It never really stalled but ran like crap. First thing we did was pull the TB and IAC like Shelby said and cleaned everything up. That did not work. He ending up having a clogged fuel filter or something along those lines. Ended up
dropping the gas tank and replacing the pump and filter if I recall. I'll call him later cause I really don't remember the outcome but whatever he has done fixed the issue. Jeep ran like a champ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.