Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Here is my situation- What do you think? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/here-is-my-situation-what-do-you-think-9629.html)

jrgfox 07-16-2007 11:02 PM

Here is my situation- What do you think?
 
Here is my situation. I have 5% tint on my black Rubicon all the way around, and I got pulled over by a Texas State Trooper the other day and received a ticket because my light transmission on my windows was 3% when measured with his light meter. (35% required on front windows in Texas) I go to court and they tell me that if I remove my tint, my ticket will be only 85 as opposed to the 185 if I don't. My question is if I show up without my doors to "resolve this issue,” will they have to lower my ticket? I’m baffled? (They might be too....lol)

Scout 07-16-2007 11:04 PM

They're smarter than that. Doors off and you'll pay the $ 185.

Texapple 07-16-2007 11:24 PM

my Dad is a retired judge - want me to have him make a phone call? :D

RIPBiker13 07-16-2007 11:39 PM

I've studied the TX traffic code, it's 25% unless they said otherwise in that county. And no doors, no fix. $185 but that's a clever idea, I'll give you that.

AzTJ 07-16-2007 11:43 PM

Texas laws, phffft :D

RIPBiker13 07-16-2007 11:44 PM

TX has some nice laws! :flipoff:

Chad P 07-16-2007 11:47 PM

Why did you have your doors on anyway?

This is a lesson for everyone if you leave your doors on you will get a ticket

1BLKJP 07-17-2007 12:46 AM

I moved your thread to General Discussion since it really doesn't pertain to a TJ tech item.

And about your ticket. How much was it to get said tint put on your rig? Probably more than 100 bucks. Just pay the 185 and be more careful when you are around the cops.

Also what did he test it with? A light meter?

daddyjeep 07-17-2007 06:41 AM

Here's the question....how many of you tax dollars did they spend on said light meter just to bust your balls for having tinted windows?

jrgfox 07-17-2007 08:48 PM

Since jeeps don't have to have doors to meet D.O.T. I would think they would have to lower my ticket. Anyways, i guess i'll find out in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the replies.

kg4kpg 07-17-2007 08:57 PM

Borrow someone elses doors for the day. When the drop the ticket loan me the cash to pay for my 232.00 fine for illegal lane usage.:D I got in the turn lane too soon.

JCS05Rubi 07-17-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 105540)
Here's the question....how many of you tax dollars did they spend on said light meter just to bust your balls for having tinted windows?

How many times, has a police officer approached a vehicle for a normal traffic violation, and been shot be someone in the car, and never saw it coming BECAUSE they had limo tint all the way around? There was a reason for that law, not just to bust peoples balls....

Scoob 07-17-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 105540)
Here's the question....how many of you tax dollars did they spend on said light meter just to bust your balls for having tinted windows?

Operate inside the law and you wont get a ticket.

Tint laws are to protect the troopers and police who need to see inside the vehicles for self preservation.

I say either fix it or keep paying tickets...your choice :)

Jase 07-18-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 105819)
How many times, has a police officer approached a vehicle for a normal traffic violation, and been shot be someone in the car, and never saw it coming BECAUSE they had limo tint all the way around? There was a reason for that law, not just to bust peoples balls....

I dunno, how many? Having tinted windows is no different from them stopping a semi or lifted truck.. they cant see in those either. Who is to say there isnt someone camping out in the back seat of a SUV with a shotgun? Backseat windows can generally be any tint you want. I think it is a reason to stop people so they can look for other things (profiling).

Scoob 07-18-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase (Post 105999)
Having tinted windows is no different from them stopping a semi or lifted truck

yes is it different, have to dark of tint is against the law. Having a semi is not :0

Its to protect the Troopers and Police, no matter what you think its for.

Jase 07-18-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 106027)
yes is it different, have to dark of tint is against the law. Having a semi is not :0

Its to protect the Troopers and Police, no matter what you think its for.

I meant that from the Troopers and Police officers perspective of being able to see inside of the vehicle on a stop. :flipoff: An officer cannot see inside of a semi or lifted truck any more than they could a vehicle with tinted windows. However it is not illegal to have a semi or lifted truck (to an extent).

They say it is for their safety.. and no one is going to repeal a law that is for the "safety" of our LEOs.
I even think there could be a compromise.. I think anyone that wants to tint their windows past a certain % MUST fully put their windows down when they get stopped.. even in the rain or snow. That would be the price you pay for having the tint. If someone didnt put their windows down, the officer would then approach more cautiously. But then again.. it wouldnt allow the officers to profile as much and give fix-it tickets if they dont find something else.

I appreciate your opinion, and you are right.. ultimately, I think it is for something else. IMO.. If it was all about their own safety we would have laws to put windows down and have hands on the wheel, but we dont.

We do fully agree here though:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 106027)
Operate inside the law and you wont get a ticket.


George T. 07-18-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase (Post 106035)
I appreciate your opinion, and you are right.. ultimately, I think it is for something else. IMO.. If it was all about their own safety we would have laws to put windows down and have hands on the wheel, but we dont.

very good point i guess
never thought of it like that

Scoob 07-18-2007 11:39 AM

They did compromise. Your allowed to tint your window to an extent. Most states have determined just how much is a legal amount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase
I dunno, how many?

How many is acceptable to you? How many cops should be shot or shot at in trade for you getting to look cool? Personally I think 1 is to many.

SportsGal501 07-18-2007 11:46 AM

Pay the ticket
Remove the tint

Put a tint on that is legal,basically put a sheet of paper to the tint,if you can see it,than you're legal.

My windows are tinted but you can clearly see who's in the Jeep.

Odd is he 07-18-2007 12:09 PM

Up here in CT, 35% is the lowest you can go.... I have 5% all around now... Not a ticket yet.....

Just borrow someone elses doors and make sure you dont see that trooper again.

Jase 07-18-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 106043)
How many is acceptable to you? How many cops should be shot or shot at in trade for you getting to look cool? Personally I think 1 is to many.

So do you think EVERYONE should be punished for the actions of ONE person? If 1 is too many, then because one person with tinted windows shot at a cop, now everyone with tinted windows are cop killers? I know that's an exageration however, cops get shot at through untinted windows too. Should I have to give up my gun for that now?

I do not want any LEO to be shot or shot at. That's why I would put my windows down and leave my hands on the wheel if I ever got pulled over. For the record, I am legal and am not trying to "look cool". I have a problem with people's right's being taken away for "security".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.


Scoob 07-18-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase (Post 106070)
So do you think EVERYONE should be punished for the actions of ONE person? If 1 is too many, then because one person with tinted windows shot at a cop, now everyone with tinted windows are cop killers? I know that's an exageration however, cops get shot at through untinted windows too. Should I have to give up my gun for that now?

I do not want any LEO to be shot or shot at. That's why I would put my windows down and leave my hands on the wheel if I ever got pulled over. For the record, I am legal and am not trying to "look cool". I have a problem with people's right's being taken away for "security".

Its many more then 1, not that it matters. It's a law to protect the people who are willing to risk their life to protect you. Nobody rights are being taken away. You can tint your windows if you want. You just have to go by the rules set in place to do so. If you don't like the rules lobby your state senate to change them (good luck with that one) or move to a place where you don't have to go by those rules.
Nobody is saying that all people with tinted windows are cop killers, not even a good analogy. You seem to think that people's RIGHT to look cool should outweigh the officers safety. A better analogy would be you have the right to park your car in assigned street side places. If you park in the middle of road and they ticket your car, have your rights been taken away? No, you have the right to park legally all you want. Just like the tint, tint it all you want as long as its inside the parameters of the law. Or go even farther with the tint to you hearts content. But don't whine about your (or other peoples) rights being taken away because you broke the law and got a ticket.

JCS05Rubi 07-18-2007 05:38 PM

Scoob for president. To be serious, I see it both ways, although I lean towards the LEO side because I know it happends more frequently than you would think with SUVs and what not. Also, your lifted truck and semi analogy is BS. A, most states lifted trucks are illegal to an extent, and that limit is usually pretty low, and B, if I remember right, LEOs are trained to have the truck driver open his door or get out when stoping them..

To be honest, your not going to change the law, so get off the high horse. You arent driving a 16 year olds, wanna be rice boy civic. You dont need 5% flippin tint. 35 will do just fine at controling interior temps. Not to mention the saftey issue for EVERYONE on the road besides yourself, when you decide to drive a vehicle with 5% tint all the way around :rolleyes: Do it legally, or stop whinning about the law giving you a ticket. Your only other option is to move, and I dont think there are any states without tint laws of some sort left...

Jase 07-18-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 106172)
Scoob for president. To be serious, I see it both ways, although I lean towards the LEO side because I know it happends more frequently than you would think with SUVs and what not. Also, your lifted truck and semi analogy is BS. A, most states lifted trucks are illegal to an extent, and that limit is usually pretty low, and B, if I remember right, LEOs are trained to have the truck driver open his door or get out when stoping them..

To be honest, your not going to change the law, so get off the high horse. You arent driving a 16 year olds, wanna be rice boy civic. You dont need 5% flippin tint. 35 will do just fine at controling interior temps. Not to mention the saftey issue for EVERYONE on the road besides yourself, when you decide to drive a vehicle with 5% tint all the way around :rolleyes: Do it legally, or stop whinning about the law giving you a ticket. Your only other option is to move, and I dont think there are any states without tint laws of some sort left...

Whoa there.. I'm not the OP of this or do I even have tinted windows on the Rubi. I'm not on a high horse of any kind or whining about anything. I've tried to not attack anyone for their opinion. how about doing the same, huh?

Tiburon 07-18-2007 07:49 PM

don't know of any bangers that roll in Wranglers... hey that kinda rhymes... 'beep beep, who gots the keys to my Jeep'

Jase 07-18-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 106155)
Its many more then 1, not that it matters. It's a law to protect the people who are willing to risk their life to protect you. Nobody rights are being taken away. You can tint your windows if you want. You just have to go by the rules set in place to do so. If you don't like the rules lobby your state senate to change them (good luck with that one) or move to a place where you don't have to go by those rules.
Nobody is saying that all people with tinted windows are cop killers, not even a good analogy. You seem to think that people's RIGHT to look cool should outweigh the officers safety. A better analogy would be you have the right to park your car in assigned street side places. If you park in the middle of road and they ticket your car, have your rights been taken away? No, you have the right to park legally all you want. Just like the tint, tint it all you want as long as its inside the parameters of the law. Or go even farther with the tint to you hearts content. But don't whine about your (or other peoples) rights being taken away because you broke the law and got a ticket.

I feel like we are beginning to beat a dead horse. You say I have go by the rules set in place.. I agree. I am a law abiding citizen. That doesnt mean I have to like every rule in place or shouldnt question rules in place. It is not a far difference from saying to protect LEOs, I cannot carry a weapon. Afterall, weapons are what hurts officers, not window tint. If the people dont agree with the rules (not a few politicians), they should have every opportunity to have it changed. But as your sarcasim points, its not likely going to happen. So now, I have the government telling me what is right and wrong for safety. That is why I posted the Franklin quote.. people are willing to give up their liberties to feel safe / free when they are only giving the government more control.

Being from ATL, I know tint laws are used for profiling... no matter what anyone tells me they are for. I know a couple LEOs.. and I know how the law is applied in my area.

"Cop killers" was a bad analogy; I apologize.

I think we are looking at this differently. From what I am gathering, you are saying excessive tint is illegal because it is a law to protect LEOs. I am questioning the basis of the law and the way it is used. I feel the protections are inadequate. LEOs cannot see into back seats in most states due to factory tint; LEOs cannot see into semis or lifted trucks/suvs. To me, this makes the law biased. LEOs should be afforded the right to see into every vehicle the same.. front seats, back seats, semis, trucks, etc. It should not be left open to interpretation and citizens should not be discriminated against based on their decision to drive a car vs a lifted truck.

I truly have enjoyed this debate with you, Scoob. However, I feel we might end up going back and forth and eventually step on each others' toes, feelings and/or personal convictions. As such, I will cease from responding. We have probably hijacked this thread enough anyways. And since I have already invited a negative response from JCS05Rubi I should probably stop now as I do not want this to turn ugly.

If you feel like continuing further discussions, please feel free to PM me.

2much 07-18-2007 10:22 PM

To get us back on topic, taking the doors off prolly won't enull the ticket, Pay the fine ( local law enforcement needs funds ) and leave tint, ( unless you feel morally obliged to have it taken off )

toycop 07-19-2007 02:22 AM

As an LEO myself, I can tell you that tint laws generally have zero to do with LEO shootings and/or officer safety. I don't know every state regulation, however, it really comes down to the operators ability to see through the tint safely. Most states that allow tint on side windows also allow windshield tint, but it's usually just the top four or six inches of the windshield that can be tinted. That fact alone should indicate that it's about being able to safely see what's around you.

I will add that most LEOs will have a little different approach to a vehicle that's fully tinted.

I don't think taking the doors off is going to help and it just might piss the judge and the officer off.

jherrin215 07-19-2007 02:48 AM

I agree with toycop about pissing the judge and cop off by taking the doors off. I think you need to either take it off or borrow someone elses doors and swap them for a few days, that was a pretty good idea!!

mrbigjeep 07-19-2007 06:33 PM

the doors would have to be the same color or they'd look pretty stupid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.