Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Oil recommendation? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/oil-recommendation-96392.html)

leonidas11 06-02-2011 05:25 AM

Oil recommendation?

Hello fellow Jeepers! Just wanted to ask what brand and weight/velocity oil to use on a 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport? Also, I really just wanted to top up the oil for this weekends trip to the blue mountains (yay!) and was wondering if it's ok to mix brands of oil, or is it harmful? (I'm not sure which oil the previous owner put in there.)
Thank you!

NC10735285 06-02-2011 06:08 AM

The simple answer about mixing is - YES - - as long as you don't over fill - Over filling can be harmful. As for the weights - they coninside with the weather temp. the hotter the weather the thicker or heavy er oil you can use.

New engines come with 5w-30 - as they age or get mileage - usually around 90K switch to a 10w (higher mileage)

My 97 TJ with an inline 6 has 203K - yes - 203K and NO oil leaks - use a high mileage oil and change it every 3K

For EXTREEM conditions and high heat go with a 20W-50

Hope that helps - the most important thing is to have proper oil level and use good oil and filters when you change.

Jiffydarren 06-02-2011 07:25 AM

Yes, mix any brands of oil you want to mix. What you don't want to get in to the habit of doing is using a cheap, low quality conventional motor oil. Conventional oil doesn't offer near the levels of protection you can get out of a synthetic, synthetic blend, or high mileage. I use the Castrol GTX High Mileage in my engine, and Castrol has never let me down. There is also a fully synthetic Mobil 1 High Mileage that would probably suit you well. Whichever you choose, make sure it is a 10w 30, because that is the recommended weight for Jeep vehicles. (Unless you're talking about the new JK's, in which case 5w 20 is on the cap...)

Why not use the technology that's available? I do, and it has been very helpful. Synthetics will make your engine stand up to higher stresses, and will eliminate sludge build up in your engine. Synthetics will also keep your engine from forming leaks since it does not sludge and release the sulfuric acids that eat away at your engine's gaskets like conventional oils do.

Synthetics beat conventional 100% of the time. Period.

leonidas11 06-02-2011 04:00 PM

Thanks so much guys, much appreciated!

geiman 06-03-2011 12:31 PM

Oh come on, a topic on what type of oil and it stops at 4 posts with no flaming? We must be growing up....

Seriously though, I usually stick with a good conventional based oil such as Valvoline 10W-30 and a quality oil filter like Purolator's PureOne. Don't think you can go wrong with any quality conventional oil. As for synthetics, everyone has their opinion as to what their benefits are and who should use them. I've just always preferred conventional oil in my vehicles; I've no mechanical wisdom to back up my preference. But like I said before, I don't think you can go wrong with any quality motor oil.

Have fun Jeeping!

C.L. 06-03-2011 12:49 PM

I like to run extra virgin olive oil, and pack my muffler full of garlic bread.

*Happy geiman?

geiman 06-03-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L. (Post 1278787)
I like to run extra virgin olive oil, and pack my muffler full of garlic bread.

*Happy geiman?

Much better...

Mr_RPM 06-03-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 1278744)
Oh come on, a topic on what type of oil and it stops at 4 posts with no flaming? We must be growing up....

maybe this will work....

Using regular oils theses days wont cut it anymore. These days the government is ruining out oil by cutting back on ZDDP levels, an important additive for our old school designed engines. ZDDP lubricates metal to metal surfaces but is bad for CATs in our exhaust.

so because the tree huggers want out Exhausts to be efficient they are causing our engines to wear out faster due to lack of ZDDP.

If you want proper oil for our 4.0L and 2.5L then you will need to add a ZDDP additive to your oil of choice or run a oil that already contains the needed ZDDP. running a diesel oil such as rotella from shell or Turbo diesel truck oil from mobil 1.

Is that better? LOL

Jiffydarren 06-03-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 1278744)

Seriously though, I usually stick with a good conventional based oil such as Valvoline 10W-30 and a quality oil filter like Purolator's PureOne. Don't think you can go wrong with any quality conventional oil. As for synthetics, everyone has their opinion as to what their benefits are and who should use them. I've just always preferred conventional oil in my vehicles; I've no mechanical wisdom to back up my preference. But like I said before, I don't think you can go wrong with any quality motor oil.

Have fun Jeeping!

Yeah, well, thats just like... your opinion, man! :p