Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   new jeep, got a few problems. need some help. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-jeep-got-a-few-problems-need-some-help-96585.html)

Roman1_16 06-03-2011 02:11 PM

new jeep, got a few problems. need some help.

My parents just bought me a '99 jeep wrangler, its automatic, which I know is hard to come by. I love it very much but i have a few issues and concerns. Firstly, when i put in gear the lights are of by one. ( as in to be in reverse you put it next to neutral, drive is in 1.) However, i can still get into all my gears with no problems. Second, the air conditioning dosnent work unless you press in really hard and put it halfway between 2 and 3, but the guy who sold us the jeep said that all I have to do is replace a switch in the back of the knob, also 3 of the 4 vents are broken, they still blow air but they dont turn. Third, the rearview mirror is broken off, i still have it but its completly broken off, but all i have to do do is glue it or something.Fourth, the zipper on one of the back windows is broken, and on the very back window some of the zipper in the corner came unstiched. Also, when on the highway the top flaps VERY loudly, i dont know if thats normal or what? Also, the paint on the sideview mirrors is chipping off. Finally, the armrest lock is broken and it wont work with my key.If you can help with even one of my minor problems i would be grateful. Also if you know he best cleaning materials to use. also if you know any good places to purchase hardtops for cheap (under $750), and cool tirecovers i would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Roman1_16

28uptwo 06-03-2011 04:59 PM

Don't know where you are from, but I have a hardtop for sale in Mo.

Shelby427 06-03-2011 09:29 PM

OK I think I understand the first part, little confusing, but what your are saying is the shift indicator isn't lining up, with the gear it's actually in. Pop the bezel off down at the bottom of the shifter on the console. There are two ears on the indicator that have to line up with the shifter itself. Most likely, it got reinstalled incorrectly.

A/c could very well be a bad switch or two. No biggie, see if you can pick up some from a salvage yard. Install the new ones while you are at the yard, that way in case they don't work you can take em back.

The vents you can get when you are at the salvage yard.

Is this the center mirror? What part broke? There should be a metal tab that's glued to the windshield, the mirror slips on it and had a screw your tighten to secure it.

If the tab came off, you can pick up the glue for it at a parts store.
If the mirror itself is broken, salvage yard, or places like Advance carry em.

Need some shots of your zipper problems to tell you how to correct them.

Top flapping, somewhat normal, will be worse as you got windows not sealing.

Side mirrors chipping, no big deal. Sand em with something like 320 grit paper, tape em off, and and shoot em with a spray can of semi flat black.

Lock on the console, most don't lock em, or the glove box, or the doors. Bad guys will just cut your top to gain entrance to the inside, and can pop the glove box or console in a couple of seconds. Get yourself a lock box that goes under the seat if you have to carry anything of value.

As for the top, can't help you on that one.

03 sahara jeeper 06-03-2011 09:40 PM

One of the zipper pulls on my back window broke in half. Jeep it sells replacement pulls in there web site for 20 dollars. Fixed mine in 10 minuets. Also it is a good idea to rub paragon wax on the zipers. By doing this they will opperate alot smoother. Good luck!

psycho 06-03-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28uptwo (Post 1279301)

hey im in MO..where are you located?

6InARowMakesItGo 06-03-2011 11:08 PM

what's a tirecover?

Roman1_16 06-03-2011 11:29 PM

thanks Shelby. i really appreciate it. The softtop is a piece of junk so were just gonna trash it and buy a new one and not get a hardtop. thanks again!

PTWarrior66 06-04-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6inarowmakesitgo (Post 1279971)
what's a tirecover?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SL._SS400_.jpg

CMEvans79 06-04-2011 12:19 AM

I hope they didn't pay much for stuff that messed up. I have a 99TJ and I knew it had some problems, but I bought it like that on purpose... the main stuff works, but I bought it to work on it... now, just to get the money. Good luck with your Jeep.

6InARowMakesItGo 06-04-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTWarrior66 (Post 1280103)

:doh:

seelye 06-04-2011 09:58 AM

you need to visit quadratec.com

Roman1_16 06-04-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby427 (Post 1279781)
The vents you can get when you are at the salvage yard.

Is this the center mirror? What part broke? There should be a metal tab that's glued to the windshield, the mirror slips on it and had a screw your tighten to secure it.

If the tab came off, you can pick up the glue for it at a parts store.
If the mirror itself is broken, salvage yard, or places like Advance carry em.

what type of glue should i use? it looks like the adhesive part or whatever he used to stick it to the winshield melted off. there was a little stream of it running down the winshield that was dried. what type of glue should i use to prevent that? if i cant fix it that way what is the type of metal piece i should use on the back. because my dad went and got the wrong type. once again i really appreciate everyone who has helped me!

Shelby427 06-04-2011 04:16 PM

Ok, first, mark around the area on the glass where the plate was originally. This is so you know where to reinstall it. Take a razor blade and remove all the old glue.

Now look at your mirror. You should see the metal plate still attached to it. Look at the base of the mirror, and you will see a set screw, could be phillips head, and allen head, or a torx head. Loosen it and slip the metal plate out.

BIG ITEM! MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THE PLATE WAS INSTALLED.

Glue it on wrong and you won't be able to install the mirror.
Take a permanent magic marker, and draw an arrow facing up on the plate, on the side that faces the mirror. That way if you fumble or drop it, you'll know how it's supposed to go.

Alrighty then. Take your razor and scrape the old adhesive off the plate too.

You can buy a mirror adhesive kit at any auto parts store for a couple of bucks.
It will contain a wipe to use on the glass and plate to remove any contaminants.

Don't touch either glue surface after you wipe them.

Now there will also be a primer and the glue in the kit. Primer goes on the plate and the spot on the glass. Now the glue. One big drop in the center of the plate.
Put the plate up against the glass, and hold it for at least a minute.

It should bond to the glass. Let the glue dry for an hour.

Slip the mirror onto the plate and gently snug up the retaining screw.

Adjust mirror. Kick back and relish in your repair.

If you aren't comfortable doing it, most glass shops or body shops will do it for you, for a minimal charge, if any. You can get the kit right from them.

Roman1_16 06-04-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelby427 (Post 1280930)
Ok, first, mark around the area on the glass where the plate was originally. This is so you know where to reinstall it. Take a razor blade and remove all the old glue.

Now look at your mirror. You should see the metal plate still attached to it. Look at the base of the mirror, and you will see a set screw, could be phillips head, and allen head, or a torx head. Loosen it and slip the metal plate out.

BIG ITEM! MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THE PLATE WAS INSTALLED.

Glue it on wrong and you won't be able to install the mirror.
Take a permanent magic marker, and draw an arrow facing up on the plate, on the side that faces the mirror. That way if you fumble or drop it, you'll know how it's supposed to go.

Alrighty then. Take your razor and scrape the old adhesive off the plate too.

You can buy a mirror adhesive kit at any auto parts store for a couple of bucks.
It will contain a wipe to use on the glass and plate to remove any contaminants.

Don't touch either glue surface after you wipe them.

Now there will also be a primer and the glue in the kit. Primer goes on the plate and the spot on the glass. Now the glue. One big drop in the center of the plate.
Put the plate up against the glass, and hold it for at least a minute.

It should bond to the glass. Let the glue dry for an hour.

Slip the mirror onto the plate and gently snug up the retaining screw.

Adjust mirror. Kick back and relish in your repair.

If you aren't comfortable doing it, most glass shops or body shops will do it for you, for a minimal charge, if any. You can get the kit right from them.

thanks, huge help! really appreciate it.

In Hoc Signo Vinces 06-05-2011 03:07 AM

I have a 98 automatic and my gear indicator tends to get off as well all you have to do is put your finger on the little piece of plastic that has the gears labeled on it and slide it either forward or backward which ever it needs to go until it lines up properly or thats how mine is you might have to push kinda hard or well I do

In Hoc Signo Vinces 06-05-2011 03:11 AM

Are you sure the center console lock is broken? are you able to open it at all? If not you do know that once you turn the key in the lock you have to remove the key and push down on the key slot to make it open....my friends always have trouble unlocking mine as well hope that helps

98jeepkid 06-05-2011 07:50 AM

cleaning stuff? like wash and wax? well i use mothers. i think its the best around right now, me and my dad both use it (works very well on black cars). If you have chrome rims a must is the Meguiare's rim polishing kit. it is amazing how well it does. I have american racing rims and it is amazing on them. for the inside...well rip out that carpet and rhino line it for sure (or something cheaper and do it yourself like rhino lining).

monkeee2002 06-05-2011 10:00 AM

Welcome to the world of Jeeps :wavey:

Looks like everyone's covered it all.
I thought I'd add in from my experience:
As for your A/C fan speed knob - this is a common problem for these Jeeps.
If you end up going to the dealer, you'll go through one of these two scenarios:

1) Tell them what you need, they'll order you the fan speed switch, price will be around $25.

2) Tell them what you need, they'll tell you that they only sell the climate controls as a complete unit, for over $100.

If you end up with option 2, and they can't - or won't - find option 1, try a different dealer. (This is what I had to do. Dealer "X" wanted to sell me the entire unit, said it was the only option, dealer "Y" hooked me up with the single switch.

The mirrors - the brackets are aluminum, with a thick plastic coating on them. When that coating gets chipped off, the aluminum oxodizes and looks white.
I removed my mirrors, used a wire wheel to clean all of the oxidation & what little remained of the black coating, then repainted them.
I've seen people on here use bedliner paint, gloss paint, all kinds of paint.
I used a flat black, with an enamel clearcoat over it, and ti came out looking pretty good, IMO. Though, I got a bit aggressive with the wire wheel, and was too lazy to sand it smooth.

Cleaning products - I like Meguilar's stuff, personally. But really, most waxes will do fine.

ALSO.... and this is an interesting one, if you ask me....
It's hard to find two Jeeps that are the same. Saying a Jeep is "Stock" is like saying the paint color is "clearcoat".
Submit your VIN here, tell them you want a 'build sheet', and Jeep will send you a very detailed build sheet, showing you what your Jeep had installed at the factory.

Iceman 06-05-2011 10:26 AM

Allow me to interject on the one issue Noone else has covered. The to flap noise. I bought my jeep 3hrs away from home and the flapping noise drowned out the radio and nearly drove me crazy all the way home. The fix is simple and cheap. Go to lowes, home depot, or the hardware store of your choice. Buy a piece of 1/2" pipe insulation. Fit it over the top hoop that runs across over your head by the toolbar and cut to length. It will quiet the top greatly, I can even have a cell phone conversation with out yelling now.

Roman1_16 06-06-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1282084)
Allow me to interject on the one issue Noone else has covered. The to flap noise. I bought my jeep 3hrs away from home and the flapping noise drowned out the radio and nearly drove me crazy all the way home. The fix is simple and cheap. Go to lowes, home depot, or the hardware store of your choice. Buy a piece of 1/2" pipe insulation. Fit it over the top hoop that runs across over your head by the toolbar and cut to length. It will quiet the top greatly, I can even have a cell phone conversation with out yelling now.

i dont exactly understand. can you send me a picture if you can?

Iceman 06-06-2011 02:19 PM

Im at work now will try to get a pic tonight. But the metal bow that supports the top right over the drivers head, next to the toolbar cross member gets covered over by the pipe insulation. Which will dampen and almost completely silence the flapping noise.

Roman1_16 06-06-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1285052)
Im at work now will try to get a pic tonight. But the metal bow that supports the top right over the drivers head, next to the toolbar cross member gets covered over by the pipe insulation. Which will dampen and almost completely silence the flapping noise.

i just droped it off at a mechanic but as soon as i get it back i will definately take your advice.

Iceman 06-06-2011 02:24 PM

Best $2 I ever spent on my jeep hands down!!!

Vector6 06-06-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1285052)
toolbar

?

Roman1_16 06-06-2011 06:18 PM

Yea so when I brought it to the mechanic, we were just planning on getting the oil changed and getting the car checked out. When I got there, the radiator cracked, hose busted, and the belt needs replacement! A grand total of $600!

Iceman 06-06-2011 08:15 PM

Dang autocorrect toolbar was supposed to be rollbar

TBrownSTL 06-06-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28uptwo (Post 1279301)

How much? I'm ST. Louis.

CMEvans79 06-08-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown

How much? I'm ST. Louis.

Im across the river in GraniteCity

Old Grunt 06-08-2011 01:09 PM

Before you do anything, FIND A NEW MECHANIC !!! $600.- for all of that could have had the entire drivetrain worked on. A new radiator cost's $250 at most, the hoses and clamps about $35 total and new 'serpy' belt about $15. Please, find a new mechanic ! This one's bleeding you like a leech !!!

Roman1_16 06-12-2011 03:50 PM

where can i purchase both of the front floor mats and one for the back?