Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Clutch problems.. very confused help please (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/clutch-problems-very-confused-help-please-96872.html)

abadoobi 06-05-2011 08:04 PM

Clutch problems.. very confused help please

ok so today i drove my 93 2.5 jeep to work at around 1:00pm everything was fine. no problems with the clutch. get off work go to the jeep and there is 0 pressure in the clutch i can just tap it with my foot and it goes all the way to the floor and pops right back up. didnt want to try to change gears cuz if i couldnt get it back in i would have been screwed. my e brake hasnt worked since i got it. what the hell is the problem. i have been reading around and i am thinking maybe the pressure plate master cylinder or slave cylinder? which do you suspect? also there i didnt get under the jeep as it was parked right on the main street and didnt feel like having some idiot run me over but i did check the fluid and it was low but still had a tiny bit in the resivoir. couldnt see any fluid below there but there was a ton of some kind of fluid on the ground in the front like right under the radiator but idk how the hell clutch fluid would get way up there. i dont have a fan shroud on so maybe it got to the fan and when i was driving and it threw it on the radiator and it slowly dripped off. could it have been leaking when i was driving to work and just finished leaking while parked there? the drive to work is less than 2 miles

bigdog9801 06-05-2011 09:47 PM

First step is to refill and try to pressurize the system, if you cant then you would be leaking somewhere. Leak in the bellhousing = slave cylinder. Leak in a line = leak in a line. No leak but no pressure = master. If you add fluid and it re-pressurizes you are good to go. In my experience if you got air in the system (level got too low) it can take a while to re-pressurize...

abadoobi 06-05-2011 10:29 PM

so if i just got air in the lines i would have to bleed it right? cuz isnt that a major PITA?

bigdog9801 06-05-2011 10:40 PM

Correct. I doubt you got air in your lines. I bet your slave cylinder is shot but that will be way way worse than just bleeding the lines and seeing if its low fluid (air in lines) or seeing if the master is shot. 93+ actually may be external slave cylinder which wouldnt be that bad either I suppose. Im not sure though on the years for external slave. Someone else on here would (or you could search).

444 06-05-2011 11:54 PM

Refill it with brake fluid and start pumping the clutch to see if you can get it to build pressure. If it is leaking, you should get a helper to pump the clutch while you watch for leaks.

abadoobi 06-06-2011 08:03 PM

im pretty sure i figured out the problem. i broke the linkage from the petal to the fire wall. what part fixes this if anybody even knows? and how the hell do i fix it?

brian2869 07-14-2011 06:13 AM

the linkage from the pedal to the firewall should be your master cylinder. very simple fix.