Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   runnin doorless (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/runnin-doorless-96957.html)

ClayL 06-06-2011 12:09 PM

runnin doorless

whats the law around here for running doorless? i know some places its just rearview mirrior, others its rearview and drivers side mirrior. ive been running doorless with just the rearview mirrior and i havnt run into a problem yet. :whistling:

darin.1701 06-06-2011 01:24 PM

Depends on the state. In california, you are required to have a left side jeep mirror and a center review mirror that is not blocked. if for some reason ur sight is blocked whilr looking through the center mirror, u must have a right side mirror as well.

ClayL 06-06-2011 01:54 PM

Ya here in Colorado I think it's just rearview, but I could be wrong

seelye 06-06-2011 03:05 PM

pretty sure you can run doorless..

Colorado Revised Statutes, 42-4-226.
Mirrors - exterior placements.
Statute text
(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror or mirrors so located and so constructed as to reflect to the driver a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle.

(2) Whenever any motor vehicle is not equipped with a rear window and rear side windows or has a rear window and rear side windows composed of, covered by, or treated with any material or component which, when viewed from the position of the driver, obstructs the rear view of the driver or makes such window or windows nontransparent, or whenever any motor vehicle is towing another vehicle or trailer or carrying any load or cargo or object which obstructs the rear view of the driver, such vehicle shall be equipped with an exterior mirror on each side so located with respect to the position of the driver as to comply with the visual requirement of subsection (1) of this section. This subsection (2) shall not apply to neighborhood electric vehicles.

(3) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2261, 1, effective January 1, 1995. L. 97: (2) amended, p. 393, 5, effective August 6.

Annotations
Editor's note: This section was formerly numbered as 42-4-223 and the former section 42-4-226 was relocated to section 42-4-229.

LaTuFu 06-06-2011 03:10 PM

These threads are becoming as prolific as "Jeep Wave" threads...

ClayL 06-06-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaTuFu
These threads are becoming as prolific as "Jeep Wave" threads...

That's y I put it in the Colorado thread, not a generic one. And I've been running doorless, doing it right now actually, I just wanted to make sure I was legal, and I hate reading statues, so I was seeing if anyone knew in the area from experience

Foxxx 09-13-2011 12:02 AM

I have always thought side mirrors were required in Colorado, but I would be wrong.

Rs4ockies 09-16-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayL (Post 1285149)
That's y I put it in the Colorado thread, not a generic one. And I've been running doorless, doing it right now actually, I just wanted to make sure I was legal, and I hate reading statues, so I was seeing if anyone knew in the area from experience

You need side mirrors. Even reading the statute, your spare tire (if mounted) prevents a "clear and unobstructed view" if you're just using a rear-view mirror and no side mirrors. It's a technicality, but I can assure you, you need side mirrors. I know from experience. ;)

jeepr 09-16-2011 05:49 PM

I ran a passenger mirror for a few months and ran into numerous cops without a problem. It looks better with both on though. I dont remember where but I read a colorado law saying you at least need a driver side mirror. I live in littleton too by the way. Happy jeeping!

Godluvsugly 10-05-2011 08:53 PM

I have been driving without doors/mirrors all summer past many cops with no problems.

SteveEarls 11-06-2011 09:45 PM

I did get pulled over here, luckily the cop had a jeep so he was nice, but you must have a ds mirror and rear. Depends on the mood of the cop too lol :)