Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Connecticut Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/)
-   -   Soft Tops in CT Winters (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/soft-tops-in-ct-winters-97252.html)

stratocat0 06-08-2011 09:12 AM

Soft Tops in CT Winters

Hey all,

I am new to the site and am looking into purchasing a used 2010 wrangler sport. It only comes with a soft top and i want to be realistic on what to expect for the winter.

Do any of you only have soft tops? Is it ok? I read on some other forums that for the most part its ok, and they hold heat well, but you have to be careful of damaging the plastic windows when clearing it off.

Any tips or recommendations would be great.

Thanks guys!

Dan

Peepers 06-08-2011 09:33 AM

I have a soft top. works great, no issues. and the best part is its at least 5 years old (I've owned it for 4 and it was beat up when I got it) so I don't care about scrapeing the windows. Plastic scrapers dont seem to leave marks...

InfernoGirl 06-08-2011 09:37 AM

You just have to let it warm up to clear the windows. Snow/ice will slide off once the inside is warm. Fortunately as mentioned, Jeep heaters work extremely well, and the interior is small, so they heat up quickly. Obviously, if you can garage it over night and when storms are imminent, that is best, but many Jeepers only have soft tops in all climates.

OlYellerTJ 06-09-2011 06:02 PM

I picked up a 2002 Sport last fall. It only has a soft top, too. I had no problems with it this past, horrible (CT) winter. The PO had a 8'X10' poly tarp and some bungee cords stored behind the tailgate for snow/ice conditions. I used them to my advantage several times when the snow was fell deep or the rain froze over the winter. :-D

And use Gallon ziplock baggies to bag the side mirrors when the weather is foul and you don't feel like rigging the tarp. An old trick my dad taught me. ;-)

Peepers 06-10-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ (Post 1294300)
I picked up a 2002 Sport last fall. It only has a soft top, too. I had no problems with it this past, horrible (CT) winter. The PO had a 8'X10' poly tarp and some bungee cords stored behind the tailgate for snow/ice conditions. I used them to my advantage several times when the snow was fell deep or the rain froze over the winter. :-D

And use Gallon ziplock baggies to bag the side mirrors when the weather is foul and you don't feel like rigging the tarp. An old trick my dad taught me. ;-)

hmmm... now theres an idea... ziplock bags... never thought of that...

topher38 06-10-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ

That's an amazing idea. Got any more for head lights. Mine always seem to freeze over down here in CO.

topher38 06-10-2011 07:30 AM

And as for soft tops you will be fine. I use mine during the winter sometimes.I have about it 3x4 inch hole in my bak one and it does just fine. Yes I do have a remote start system in which I let my jeep warm up for 7 to 10 mins before getting in. And that does the trick. It's almost as nice as a shona ( i think that's how you spell it?)

InfernoGirl 06-10-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher38 (Post 1295636)
That's an amazing idea. Got any more for head lights. Mine always seem to freeze over down here in CO.

Glad Press N' Seal......

topher38 06-10-2011 09:37 AM

That makes sense

kjeeper10 06-10-2011 11:40 AM

I always had a hard top for the winter, just adds life to the soft top. I've had my previous best top soft top. for almost 10 yrs.