Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Body mount to tub repair.

19K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  leylandauto 
#1 ·
I was wonder if anyone has repaired the area where the body mounts to the frame. While working on the engine I noticed that I have a good bit of rot. I have a good idea of what I need to do but was wondering if anyone else has done this or if there was a kit that I could buy.

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
If it's the floor, you can get replacement panels fairly cheap from Quadratec and such.
Cut out the old, weld or adhesive bond the new in. Prime and paint.

#4 ·
If you are talking about the box sections, check places like Keystone. They carry all kinds of aftermarket body panels, unibody rails, etc.

And there's always the salvage yards.

#8 ·
FWIW, Just got one of these in for the passenger side of Son in law's 99 TJ. Very impressive part. Question, the existing torque box/subframe is spot welded or one continuous bead? (hoping for spot welds). We have not made the vehicle swap just yet so I cannot look underneath right now.

#10 ·
Thanks for the check! There is a co-worker who has a TJ as well that I plan to use as a guide as needed (only parked a mile from here when home). Hopefully a sharp air chisel will work ok. Spotweld cutters seem to be only so-so in function and drilling UP is not something I look forward to (let alone welding). I hope this does not turn out to be a TOO complicated job as he will have my Volvo wagon while I am doing his Jeep. Ahh, the things you do for family. I am also committed to replacing sills and floors on my Nephew's 1967 Sunbeam Alpine after this.

#13 ·
If you lift the tub evenly... slide some 4x4 pieces between the frame and body where you dont need to work..... that way it can't go anywhere.

#14 ·
Thank you for the reply. spent some of yesterday beating old rust out. The floor area around the roll bar and over to 'just' under the right rear of the passenger seat. it seems like very weldable metal other than that. not sure if I will be able to use just a sheet of 18ga to patch it in. He wants to do a more full restore after he gets another vehicle in the next year. Have to locate a couple new or used body mounts now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.