Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Half door question. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/half-door-question-97367.html)

deadlift560 06-09-2011 12:07 AM

Half door question.

I'm an xj guy. Thinking of trading for a tj with half doors. How exactly do they work?

darkproximity 06-09-2011 12:08 AM

what do you mean how do they work?

Like do you want to know how they come off? how the toppers fit on?

deadlift560 06-09-2011 12:09 AM

I have never even rode in a wrangler lmao. What's the deal? Bottom half is metal but what about top half? Does the window then zipper open?

darkproximity 06-09-2011 12:10 AM

Yes the OEM bottoms are metal, the tops can be either a vinyl material or ive even seen a plastic/fiberglass material used. They have zip away windows or sliding windows for them

deadlift560 06-09-2011 12:12 AM

Ok that's basically what I was wondering. Am I better off with half doors, or should I try to get soft doors? I live in pa, and would only run soft doors during summer but wasn't sure how expensive they are or how hard it is to remove them and swap

darkproximity 06-09-2011 12:17 AM

Doors are painfully simple to remove, they might take a little umpf to pull out but basically the door hings on the door have the pin in them, and the hinges on the jeep has a hole that the pin slides into, you just wiggle it back and forth and pull up, it will eventually pull out, depends on how often they have been removed in the past. It could be a little stubborn but it will come out.

If you're talking soft door bottoms, being in PA i would just stick to the factory doors, keep as much warm air in as you can.. if you're talking toppers, the soft ones are just fine.. I hear the zip up ones are a pain to deal with when driving, so if you need to zip them up or down you might have trouble, the sliders are easier but more expensive.

darkproximity 06-09-2011 12:21 AM

Found soft half doors from bestop
Bestop 53039-15 - Bestop® Half Doors for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
$179.99

2 piece soft doors
Bestop 51789-15 - Bestop® 2-Piece Doors for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
$429.99

Upper door sliding type
Bestop 51787-15 - Bestop® Upper Door Sliders for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
$429.99

Upper door zipping type
Bestop 51790-35 - Bestop® Soft Upper Doors for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
$324.99

These links are just for reference and quadratec pricing, but you can probably find them a bit cheaper if you look around.. I believe quadratec also price matches. Also they are all bestop brand, there are other companies who make them, but i believe a lot of people have a high regard for bestop's quality and customer service

deadlift560 06-09-2011 12:24 AM

Thanks man! I just really wasn't sure how the window part worked lmao

darkproximity 06-09-2011 12:31 AM

its all good :) i just vomit out information and you get to pick through it :)

deadlift560 06-09-2011 12:37 AM

Dude I'm all ears. Like I said I'm a xj guy. If this guy follows through on this trade I will be a new happy tj owner

darkproximity 06-09-2011 12:53 AM

I like TJs, a few guys on the forum i wheel with have them.. Also wheel with a guy who has 2 XJs and 2 ZJs.. also has a TJ but his dad uses it.. lol he collects jeeps and hondas.. cool guy. I like XJs though..

Also welcome to the forum :) You'll be able to find out anything you need to know here basically

deadlift560 06-09-2011 12:59 AM

Ya I used cherokee forum a lot. I just really hope this guy doesnt back out of the trade and I will be ecstatic!

darkproximity 06-09-2011 01:05 AM

heck yeah dude! you should test drive it and all first of course.. what are the specs of this TJ and mods n such?

deadlift560 06-09-2011 01:13 AM

Bone stock just the way I wanted lol. Just 31s and aftermarket cd and speakers

darkproximity 06-09-2011 01:32 AM

what motor/trans?

deadlift560 06-09-2011 01:34 AM

2.5 auto

KidRock171 06-09-2011 01:34 AM

You seem to have all the info you need. But I'll give a second opinion. Half doors with sliders rock. Keep in warmth like full metal. But when it's warm pull top half right off and you have full exterior access without losing your side view mirrors. Plus the body styling and contouring looks alot better on half doors.

KidRock171 06-09-2011 01:35 AM

Ps. The 2.5 kinda sucks. Bummer but you win some lose some.

deadlift560 06-09-2011 01:37 AM

Its alright. I just really want a nice wrangler and if that's the trade I can get then that's what I get lol

darkproximity 06-09-2011 02:27 AM

my xj buddy has 3 4 liter i6's in his garage lol..

Ive seen the 2.5L get down pretty good, a moderator on the forum here wheels one, cuz he got a damn good deal on it. let us know if you end up getting it!

InfernoGirl 06-09-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity (Post 1292526)
its all good :) i just vomit out information and you get to pick through it :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hahahahahaha!

Dude, half doors rock :punk: You will like them a zillion times better than full doors. They're easier to see out of when you wheel (without the uppers) and easier to remove (much lighter weight) and they have more elbow room and a nicer arm rest than full doors. I will not buy another Jeep with full doors if I can help it... If for some reason of mental instability you should decide that you want full doors they are fully interchangeable with any door from a TJ... And lots of guys want halfs... :D Zipper windows aren't for weinies, you gotta be tough to deal with the ruggedness of zipper windows, they're what separate the women from the girls... ;) As far as weather, I only have half doors with zipper windows, live in Indiana, and we get snow, ice, and subzero temps and they are fine... Jeep heaters work great!

Welcome to the forum, don't forget to wave!

jp2611 06-09-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 1292964)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hahahahahaha!

Dude, half doors rock :punk: You will like them a zillion times better than full doors. They're easier to see out of when you wheel (without the uppers) and easier to remove (much lighter weight) and they have more elbow room and a nicer arm rest than full doors. I will not buy another Jeep with full doors if I can help it... If for some reason of mental instability you should decide that you want full doors they are fully interchangeable with any door from a TJ... And lots of guys want halfs... :D Zipper windows aren't for weinies, you gotta be tough to deal with the ruggedness of zipper windows, they're what separate the women from the girls... ;) As far as weather, I only have half doors with zipper windows, live in Indiana, and we get snow, ice, and subzero temps and they are fine... Jeep heaters work great!

Welcome to the forum, don't forget to wave!

X2-'cept I live in NORTHERN Indiana close to MI and everything IG said is correct.
A little trick - when unzipping window at speed-open the door a little and brace with your left knee-the wind will push the window towards you/towards inside of Jeep (instead of being pulled out) easier to fold down against door that way.

InfernoGirl 06-09-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 1293017)
X2-'cept I live in NORTHERN Indiana close to MI and everything IG said is correct.
A little trick - when unzipping window at speed-open the door a little and brace with your left knee-the wind will push the window towards you/towards inside of Jeep (instead of being pulled out) easier to fold down against door that way.

Or you can make some flapper stopper thingies and be done... ;) elastic, plastic ring or swivel and an alligator clip. Wrap around the center post and clip it to the edge of the window for partial opening or just to keep it from being sucked out at 60mph...

AC0QR 06-09-2011 09:49 AM

My TJ has half doors with slide-window uppers. I'm a big fan - but the top mounting point on both sides has broken off. I replaced the one on the drivers side with a piece of aluminum angle, still have to fix the passenger side.

They also leaked a bit when the rain was blowing hard, nothing a tube of silicone sealant couldn't fix!

NHrubicon 06-09-2011 09:57 AM

I had both slider tops and zipper tops when I bought my 03 Rubicon...and after driving down the highway with the sliders once-going through toll booth-I sold them cheap and went with the zippers. The slider didn't open enough for me to get my arm out and put change in the toll basket! It was just in the wrong place. And you can never open more than half of the window. With zipper, you can open the entire window and fold it down-ride all day in the woods and if it rains, just zip it up. But you have greater airflow through the cab with zipper windows. Just soap/grease the zippers once a year and there won't be any trouble. Did have to replace them once-figure they were 8 years old and the zipper went bad. Was easy-bought the replacement skins from Quadratek and about a half hour each to replace. Good to go for another 8 or more years! And I do have the solid doors we use in the winter with the hardtop.

deadlift560 06-09-2011 10:35 AM

Thank you guys all for your help. As long as the guy doesn't back out on the trade, I will post pics ASAP. But I posted it on here just in case he does, hopefully someone else will take advantage of it and trade. Just wife wants back to stock, but if I'm going small I'm going wrangler lmao

Quadratec 06-09-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity (Post 1292517)
I believe quadratec also price matches.

Indeed, we price match any competitors shipped price! :)

deadlift560 06-09-2011 02:06 PM

Do we get a discount?? :-) have placed many orders before :) lol

TJe0454 06-09-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlift560 (Post 1293733)
Do we get a discount?? :-) have placed many orders before :) lol

no they dont (officially). but if you get another site to give you a discount they can match hahaha

deadlift560 06-09-2011 10:34 PM

Well dude backed out bc his wife wouldn't let him.. Shouldn't of got excited. I would of really missed my xj but have always wanted a wrangler lol