Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Burnt Out Clutch? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/burnt-out-clutch-97574.html)

ski0rb0ard 06-10-2011 01:17 PM

Burnt Out Clutch?

Ok so backstory time (and I am not proud of this but as they say hindsight is 20/20)

I am currently on vacation in the Outer Banks and of course I brought along the TJ (05 4.0 6 spd pretty much stock). I have been out here before and love going to the 4x4 beach. On my trip out there on Wednesday, there was a group of old ladies in a Subaru Forester stuck right by the entrance. Being the nice person that I am I pulled them out and sent them on their way but afterwards smelled what I believe to be a little bit of burning clutch. So I figured that I had overheated it or something like that (after letting it sit for a minute or two it seemed to be fine). I cancelled the 4x4 trip for that day and went back to the house where I parked the Jeep until today (Friday) to give it a break.

So today, took a trip to the 4x4 beach and as soon as I got on the sand I felt like my 4x4 wasn't engaging correctly. Immediately drove off of the sand because I don't want to risk something not working right and having to pay $400 for a tow. I drove into a parking lot and engaged 4x4 to see if it was working and it seemed to work fine.

So my question is...

1. Does anyone think I seriously messed up the Jeep?
2. Could I have just sloppily engaged my 4x4 (has happened before but not in a long time) and then just freaked out about it because I may have been a little paranoid to start?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

p.s. I sure learned my lesson for trying to be a nice guy

wranglernut 06-10-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ski0rb0ard
Ok so backstory time (and I am not proud of this but as they say hindsight is 20/20)

I am currently on vacation in the Outer Banks and of course I brought along the TJ (05 4.0 6 spd pretty much stock). I have been out here before and love going to the 4x4 beach. On my trip out there on Wednesday, there was a group of old ladies in a Subaru Forester stuck right by the entrance. Being the nice person that I am I pulled them out and sent them on their way but afterwards smelled what I believe to be a little bit of burning clutch. So I figured that I had overheated it or something like that (after letting it sit for a minute or two it seemed to be fine). I cancelled the 4x4 trip for that day and went back to the house where I parked the Jeep until today (Friday) to give it a break.

So today, took a trip to the 4x4 beach and as soon as I got on the sand I felt like my 4x4 wasn't engaging correctly. Immediately drove off of the sand because I don't want to risk something not working right and having to pay $400 for a tow. I drove into a parking lot and engaged 4x4 to see if it was working and it seemed to work fine.

So my question is...

1. Does anyone think I seriously messed up the Jeep?
2. Could I have just sloppily engaged my 4x4 (has happened before but not in a long time) and then just freaked out about it because I may have been a little paranoid to start?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

p.s. I sure learned my lesson for trying to be a nice guy

Unless you were really hard on your clutch, I don't think a Subaru is enough to fry the plate. Maybe it needs replacing anyway and that just showed it? As to 4wd, I'd guess it was in your head. I know I've have false panic attacks a couple times!
And finally, never stop being a nice guy! Seeing a Wrangler should make everyone know there's good folk nearby!

Peepers 06-10-2011 01:31 PM

Did you use 4L to pull out the subaru or 4H?

sevenservices 06-10-2011 01:37 PM

just something to check... make sure your brakes arn't sticking. Burning brake pads and burning clutches smell a lot alike!

ski0rb0ard 06-10-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peepers (Post 1296399)
Did you use 4L to pull out the subaru or 4H?

4H but afterwards thought 4L probably would have been better

ski0rb0ard 06-11-2011 04:34 PM

Update to the situation

Driving home from vacation (7 hours)

Whenever the clutch was fully engaged (only when 100% engaged) and I am not pressing the throttle at all, there is a faint clicking noise.

Any ideas?

ski0rb0ard 06-12-2011 08:04 PM

anyone who might be interested...changed my oil today and now everything is fine

ski0rb0ard 06-15-2011 05:41 PM

Nevermind. The clutch gave out on me (or so I think)

When the car is off I can go through the gears but when it is on I can't get out of neutral. The clutch won't disengage.

From what I have read I am thinking the slave cylinder

Anyone have any thoughts?