Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   How the heck do I fix this???? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/how-the-heck-do-i-fix-this-97998.html)

sirjeep 06-13-2011 01:13 PM

How the heck do I fix this????

So I went crawling a few weeks ago. I broke the rear spider gears and thought that was the cause of the vibration I was getting on the way home.

I replaced the spiders with a Richmond Lock Right. But still have the vibration. So I replaced the U joints in the rear drive shaft. But still have the vibration.

So I took the drive shaft off again and this time I cut it on and put it in gear to see what may be going on underneath.

I found that the shaft from my thansfer case is wobbling.

Here is the video.
YouTube - ‪How do I fix this?‬‏

How do I fix this?

Shelby427 06-13-2011 01:28 PM

Looks like you may be in need of a new shaft. And replace the rear bearing to be on the safe side.
Also with the spiders breaking, did you inspect the bearings real good?
All it takes is a piece or two of broken metal to screw up a bearing.

sirjeep 06-13-2011 02:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked everything in the rear diff real good. Looking at the price of a new shaft ($200) I would like to go ahead and get a SYE and CV. I found it as a set on Rustys site for $480. (That's if my wife will let me spend the extra $300. :)

MR.CLIFFORD 06-13-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirjeep (Post 1302846)
How do I fix this?

You had too much droop in your suspension and bent the output shaft from the tcase.

Good chance there are plenty of people out there that have replaced the stock output shaft when they upgraded to the SYE kit. If I had one in my garage I'd give it to you to get you going. So it may be worth looking around for people that have upgraded.

sirjeep 06-13-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks. I know one guy that had it done professionaly. I don't know if he still has his old shaft but it's worth a phone call.

neverfastenough1 06-13-2011 03:09 PM

You tried Ebay for SYE/DS combos? I was going with the Tatton for about 70-80 bucks cheaper than that, but I don't have adjustable control arms yet. Is that the 300 extra you have to talk your wife into?

97wrangler-242 06-13-2011 03:33 PM

I have a spair main shaft.... It's factory tho :(

sirjeep 06-13-2011 03:34 PM

Thanks, a far as the price difference I'm saying between the mainshaft ($200) or the SYE and CV ($480). But the adjustable control arms... more money! I am going on vacation to the beach with the family this weekend. This kinda happened at a bad time. All that money is spoken for. I may just have to continue to work out some alternative transportation for a few months till I can get my daily driver fixed. :)

Black Magic Brakes 06-13-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirjeep (Post 1303220)
Thanks, a far as the price difference I'm saying between the mainshaft ($200) or the SYE and CV ($480). But the adjustable control arms... more money! I am going on vacation to the beach with the family this weekend. This kinda happened at a bad time. All that money is spoken for. I may just have to continue to work out some alternative transportation for a few months till I can get my daily driver fixed. :)

Don't let me talk to your wife or the difference will be higher than 280.00 due to me being willing to send you a newish stock tail shaft for the cost of shipping.

All it takes is a PM with your address and an agreement to pony up the postage and it's yours.

neverfastenough1 06-13-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1303248)
Don't let me talk to your wife or the difference will be higher than 280.00 due to me being willing to send you a newish stock tail shaft for the cost of shipping.

All it takes is a PM with your address and an agreement to pony up the postage and it's yours.

What a jerk, that is waaaaayyyyy overpriced! Lol

sirjeep 06-13-2011 04:20 PM

Thanks Black Magic Brakes!!!

Black Magic Brakes 06-13-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverfastenough1 (Post 1303263)
What a jerk, that is waaaaayyyyy overpriced! Lol

Gotta make a living somehow.

97wrangler-242 06-14-2011 02:42 AM

Yea, I'd ship you mine for the cost of postage. Looks like black magic has you covered :)

KidRock171 06-14-2011 04:19 AM

If you take out the rear drive shaft. Couldn't you pop it in 4wd and have front wheel drive till you get fixed up? That would at least give you transportation.
Just a thought, get pro advice though. I don't want you to explode your drivetrain.