Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   California Jeep Forum (
-   -   Cleghorn this saturday at 9am (

Rawkon 07-24-2007 12:51 AM

Cleghorn this saturday at 9am
Gonna be taking some new guys up through cleghorn this saturday at 9am. trying to keep the group small since ill be helping new wheelers out. gonna have a couple full size rams, a experienced wheeler in a isuzu trooper and a couple jeeps. just gonna do the easy to moderate stuff.

standard stuff recovery, medical, food, spare tire, etc etc.

If your new to wheeling this is the run for you. If your experienced and want to run all the hard bypasses then your on your own.

RedRubiTJ 07-28-2007 12:31 PM

Another one I can't make Kevin :( . Working for a new company and this is my first weekend home in 3 weeks. Hope to see all ya'all soon though.

Rawkon 07-29-2007 01:03 AM

it was a pretty sweet run. Things went well and we took the "new" guys on a couple of the tougher trails in the area.

I have pics up on this site. Ill get them up on here tomorrow.

Let me know when you get some free time Chuck, I wanna do a Night run in big bear as soon as possible. do like gold mountain or holcomb creek. (ooooooh yeaaaa)

RedRubiTJ 07-29-2007 01:38 AM

Looks like a fun day Kevin. I am soooo jealous.

BTW, what are your intentions for the 18/19th (WRF)? Are you going to make it? A night run would be good on Saturday (18th). It looks like this may be my only wheeling trip until Sept. Also, are you going to be able to make it up there early enough to show Jack and the AZ boys around until the rest of us can make it up? Feel free to drop me an e-mail or phone call anytime. I wish I could be up on the trails with ya (it's hot down here and pavement sucks!).

Rawkon 07-30-2007 10:55 PM

I dont think im gonna be able to make it on the 18th, I may be in AZ at the river. if the river trip sinks ill be up there for sure

tiny terror 08-01-2007 05:36 PM

Holy crap guys!!! What am I going to do with the AZ guys??? I have no idea where the trails are...

MrBash 01-22-2008 11:15 PM

My Buddy and I went through Cleghorn on the 14 of this month. We were supposed to go around 11 am but ended up going around 4pm. It turned out to be a night run. My TJ is bone stock with open diffs and I couldn't make it up some of the tougher trails and had to back down. Backing down was not fun. I couldn't even make it up the hill were the electrical post is. I went up with my buddys JK without a problem. His trac loc diffs work well but I am not too thrilled with the power from the V6. I'm waiting for my light bar to come in. Then I will be getting my front OX locker in a few weeks. Looking forward to going up the difficult trials again.

I wonder if I'll make it up there with 31" tires and stock suspension...what do you think Rawk?

Rawkon 01-23-2008 12:05 AM

Im running open diffs and have done just about every side trial on there. It can be done a stock jeep is pretty capable. Next time i head up there ill let you all know.

Ill be in big bear this weekend hanging out in the jeep, hopefully with some good snow on the ground

MouthfulOfGrass 01-24-2008 12:59 PM

I've been up there on open diffs, and a 4 cyl., no problems.

Looks like it might even be snowing while you're in BB this weekend Rawk, should be fun.

MrBash 01-27-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by MouthfulOfGrass (Post 185725)
I've been up there on open diffs, and a 4 cyl., no problems.

Looks like it might even be snowing while you're in BB this weekend Rawk, should be fun.

I can't understand guys. Everyone says a stock jeep is capable but this damn thing just won't go up. If the wheel that has no traction trys to go up a rock I'm dead stuck. The other wheels just keep spinning. I try tapping the brakes but nothing happens. Anyway...the hell with it...I'm not putting up with it no more. I just put my Jeep up for sale. I'm buying a Rubicon!

tiny terror 01-27-2008 03:30 PM

That's odd, because I wheeled mine basically stock with new meats and had no problems. I have a two inch BB and disconnects now and have no problems getting over Cleghorn, JohnBull, Dishpan. And I'm not locked.

MrBash 01-27-2008 03:41 PM

That sounds great man. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I'm going to be uo there this Tuesday. I'm taking my girl, my barbeque grill and my buddy is going to join me with his VW Touareg. I'm hoping the trail is full of snow.

I have a video that I'm too embarrased to upload on youtube. It's a shame. There was a really small rock and my Jeep just wouldn't go up and over it because the tire that was going over the rock did not have the traction. The two tires that had the traction started burning holes in the dirt. It really pissed me off.

tiny terror 01-27-2008 03:50 PM

What kind of tires do you have? Sometimes it takes some stacking and some finess. And if you're wheeling snow, well, clearance counts for everything. I just wheeled with my buddy Double G up JohnBull in BigBear. I rode along since my jeep is on 31s and his is on 37s. JohnBull is no trouble without snow, but with snow, he had to pinball that baby up at speeds I never thought were possible through those rock gardens. It was great fun!!!

4point 01-27-2008 03:58 PM

x2 ^^ on the tire theory, with open diffs and street/all terrain tires. It can be hard to get traction.

MrBash 01-27-2008 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm running 31 inch bridgestone duler revos. These tires have really helped me through some areas when I had them on my Touareg.

I'll send a picture of one side trail I tired climbing. I got all the way to the top. Sure enough, there was a large rock I had to climb on the passenger side. It wouldn't go. I had to back down. It wasn;t a big deal to back down, but It would have been more fun to climb over it.

BTW..How do I post a picture in a thread?

tiny terror 01-27-2008 04:02 PM

I'm running 31in BFG muds

Did you air down?

MrBash 01-27-2008 04:05 PM

Oh....that's how...nevermind

MrBash 01-27-2008 04:08 PM

I did not air down. My problem is that the open diff will not switch traction to the wheel that needs to go over the obstacle. This time I will try airing down and see if it works.

How did you upload a picture of that size...I tried uploading the pic of the trail and it won't let me.

tiny terror 01-27-2008 04:10 PM

You have to air down. I learned that on Holcomb Creek. Airing down is a must for traction on rocks. I've done all the badies up in Big Bear open. No problems.

That pic is hosted on a photobucket account and hotlinked. :D

MrBash 01-27-2008 04:17 PM

I was up on Sierra ave two nights ago when it was raining. I went through the gun club area and went off to the sides where there are rocks. I climbed over a 12 inch or so rock with my left front tire. The diff had all the torque on that tire and it went over it with no problem. Well sure enough, if the front left tire had the torque then that means the right rear tire also had torque. when it came time for the left rear tire to go over the rock...that wheel did not have the torque so it did not climb over like the front wheel did. If I had a limited slip, it would of switched torque from right to left and I would of made it over......This is whats frustrating me. That is why I feel I need lockers. These tires grab rocks very well. I've also had BF Goodrich Mud terrains on a Bronco and I often aired down to go over rocks.

I'll definitely try airing down next time to see how the Jeep reacts. But no matter what happens....I'm getting a rubicon. all the stuff I'veheard about the Dana 35 is worrying me.

MrBash 01-27-2008 04:24 PM

What year is your Jeep? Do you have a limited slip diff or just open diffs?

tiny terror 01-27-2008 04:26 PM

It's a 2005 X, D35, completely open.....

I was worried too, don't listen to the hype. Just don't be fat footed.

MrBash 01-27-2008 04:34 PM

NICE! I like it!

tiny terror 01-27-2008 04:40 PM

I'm usually the smallest jeep out there and I not had many problems going where my buddies go. There is one hill that I won't climb at Cleghorn because the ground is soft and there's a shelf near the top. You just have to find your jeep's limits and then figure out a way around them.

Here's my buddy, Double G. We wheel together at least once a month...

MrBash 01-27-2008 04:46 PM

I try to do that kind of wheeling in my Sport with open diffs. That's the problem. I bought the wrong Jeep. I should have bought the Rubi. I'm going to. The Jeeps for sale.

tiny terror 01-27-2008 04:48 PM

His ain't a rubi.... it's better. :D And I may be wrong, but a Sport sports a 44.

Rawkon 01-27-2008 09:12 PM

Air down to about 15psi, disconnect your front sway bar

I ran the hard trails on 31s in my 02 X with open diffs and 31 inch dueler ats.

the dana 35 isnt that bad, (knock on wood) Ive been running 33s and wheling pretty often and hard for the last 2 years.

MrBash 01-27-2008 09:49 PM

Nice pics. Just one question. How do I disconnect my front sway bar? where are the bolts? And what do I do with it after I disconnect it?
Oh, and the most important question...What advantages does disconnecting the front sway bar provide? As you can tell....I;m a Jeep Newb

tiny terror 01-27-2008 09:59 PM

Usually you install quick disconnects, I'm not sure if I have a picture somewhere.... but it gives you more articulation which keeps your tires on the ground. More tires on the ground, more traction. There might be another one of your issues.

tiny terror 01-27-2008 10:06 PM

Here you go....

The quick disconnects are hanging down in front of the axle in the picture.