Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep Hard Top never taken off. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-hard-top-never-taken-off-98299.html)

crkid 06-15-2011 12:54 PM

Jeep Hard Top never taken off.

Well, today i turned 15, and today i'm going to get my permit. I asked him if i could take the top off the jeep and he said no. But the story is, my 99 TJ, the hardtop has never been taken off, the soft top is still rolled up on the back. He said he won't let me take it off because it will break the factory seal and it will start leaking. what can i tell him to let me take the top off?

crkid 06-15-2011 12:59 PM

by him i mean my dad.

kjeeper10 06-15-2011 01:04 PM

Most come standard with the soft top. Hard or both is an option. Congratulations by the way. First vehicle a jeep. Hell ya!!

No it won't "break the seal" but the soft top you have. Ever been used? I would check it's condition first. Most jeeps leak anyhow, even the new ones I hear. The jeep is made to take a rain shower. There are actually drain plugs under the carpet you can pull out to rinse out or just drain water . A few hours in the sun, my jeep drys out if wet.

InfernoGirl 06-15-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crkid (Post 1307921)
Well, today i turned 15, and today i'm going to get my permit. I asked him if i could take the top off the jeep and he said no. But the story is, my 99 TJ, the hardtop has never been taken off, the soft top is still rolled up on the back. He said he won't let me take it off because it will break the factory seal and it will start leaking. what can i tell him to let me take the top off?

Your soft top has been stored on the Jeep for 12 years!!!! :eek: Well, don't plan on installing it now until you've checked for holes. It is supposed to be removed as soon as you take delivery on it. It's only installed for transport purposes.

Removing the hard top will not break the seal and cause leaking. It may be stuck on there pretty well after all this time, and your seals may need replacing by now tho'. They should at a minimum be lubed to regain some resiliency. I would imagine they are pretty dry by now.

But, it's dad's Jeep, and dad's rules. Your job is to adhere to the policies he has set for you. Get your license, get a job, and get your own Jeep and insurance, and you can do what ever you like with it as long as it is within the law.... :)

mwashburn 06-15-2011 01:10 PM

Nothing like driving your Jeep naked... ( no top/ no doors)

mwashburn 06-15-2011 01:11 PM

And taking the top off will ruin the seal is a non-issue... Tell him that a grandfather of 7 said so!!!

mwashburn 06-15-2011 01:12 PM

Enjoy!!!

Austen 06-15-2011 01:30 PM

Go to Youtube and look at videos of Jeep hard top removal. You will learn everything we know (and more because you are 15) The hard top is menat to be taken off, and re installed with out any leaks. As stated you should be taking the top off anyway to lubricate that seal. I really really really really hope that you do not have the soft top stored under the hard top. If so you can kiss that very expensive soft top good bye. I am sure there are at least two wholes rubbed in it by now.

There are six bolts that hold it to the tub of the Jeep. The Aft four, there is nothing to worry about. Unbolt them, and hold on to the pieces. The bolts that are right behind the doors, there is something to worry about there. You need to put your finger under the nuts, and hold them while you unbolt them. Do not let the nuts fall into the Jeep body or you WILL be SOL. The top weighs 140 pounds so do not attempt lifting it alone. EVER! With the doors open and a strong enough person on each side, and the header unlatched, lift straight up, it will come undone. Slide it back a few inches, get a good grip on it, and set it where you want to store it out of the way. Don't bother lubing the bottom of the hard top until you are ready to put it back on.

With the Jeep in the sun put the soft top up and check for holes. Let us know how it works out.

Tell your Dad to chill out, you are 15 so therefore he knows nothing at all. But do not be surprised when you turn 21 to realize how much he learned in six years.

SHERM 06-15-2011 01:35 PM

Nobody says Happy Birthday to this kid? Happy birthday brutha

camtron3712 06-15-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1307944)
First vehicle a jeep. Hell ya!!.

i also have a jeep for my first vehicle :D im 15 now gonna be 16 in august
i have a 1997

Jersey Sahara 06-15-2011 02:17 PM

I got my jeep as my first vehicle last year too :D my Soft top was stored underneath the hard top from the PO and when I took it off the soft top had no holes and I have a 98. I also did have my jeep flood once in the first month but that was only because my dad and I didn't put the hard top on right. So just make sure after you take it off that it is on exactly right. And most of all have fun with your jeep!!

Neil F. 06-15-2011 02:22 PM

People remove the hardtops all the time. (It's not really convenient just to remove for the day but some do it) Mine comes off every spring for the softtop.

Expect it not to come right off. The foam is probably stuck to the tub. Push up on the front and if it does not start breaking loose, you may have to work on it with a putty knife and work it between the tub and top. You are going to have to scrape the remnants of the seal off the bottom of the top and the tub rail. You will have to replace it. Do not use foam from the hardware store. It will stick and tear (I know). The Mopar foam kit costs 29.00. What I found works is R/V camper seal. I got it at Autozone. It is thich dense foam with threads woven into the cover. I sticks very well and will not tear.

Forget about that softtop. It's got to be trashed after 12 years. You are supposed to take it out. Also, unless you have them, the windows are not on the top.

crkid 06-15-2011 02:52 PM

The top is rolled up on the back right in front of the tail gate. it looks as if it has a cover on top of it? i will go look right quick.

crkid 06-15-2011 02:56 PM

yes there is a cover on the soft top which is rolled up on the back right in front of the tail gate.

crkid 06-15-2011 08:58 PM

bump

Wrangler06 06-15-2011 09:07 PM

But, it's dad's Jeep, and dad's rules. Your job is to adhere to the policies he has set for you. Get your license, get a job, and get your own Jeep and insurance, and you can do what ever you like with it as long as it is within the law.... :)[/QUOTE]

he said in his post "my jeep" lol but anywho, IG is right, better check the soft top for holes because if it hasnt moved it 12 years its prob shot, pro wont even fit on the jeep, plus if the hard top is on then your going to need door surrounds and a tailgate bar before you can use the hard top

Wrangler06 06-15-2011 09:07 PM

before you can use the soft top i meant lol oops

crkid 06-15-2011 09:19 PM

what are door surrounds and tail gate bar?

Jersey Sahara 06-15-2011 09:22 PM

They seal the soft top for no leaking

crkid 06-15-2011 09:33 PM

well, lets get this straight. The hardtop is on and never been taken off. Soft top is rolled up right in front of the tail gate with a cover on it that seems like the same material as the soft top. All the side windows and tailgate window are in boxes never opened. all tho i have slid the box open to look. they look perfect!

Should the soft top be ok?

where would the door surrounds and tail gate bar be?

Wrangler06 06-15-2011 09:35 PM

might be in the box then

crkid 06-15-2011 09:39 PM

well the soft top came with it from the factory, the door surrounds and tail gate bar should be on it? or do they not go on when the hardtop is on?

Jersey Sahara 06-15-2011 09:54 PM

The surrounds and rear bar don't fit with the hard top. If they're anywhere they'll be in the box with the windows

crkid 06-15-2011 09:58 PM

and there not there. there were 5 straps that had a metal buckle on one end. and one that had a loop on both sides. what are these for?

Plowboy1970 06-15-2011 10:19 PM

See if you can find these laying around.

OEM Jeep Wrangler TJ Door Surrounds 1997-2006 No Reserv | eBay

Jersey Sahara 06-15-2011 10:19 PM

Can you post a picture?

Neil F. 06-15-2011 10:25 PM

Jeep Wrangler tips and basics for new owners

crkid 06-15-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 1309276)

can not find them, i emailed the guy we bought the jeep from to see if he knew. his mother and law owned it since it came off the lot.

crkid 03-20-2012 07:18 PM

I'm finally getting to putting the soft top on. I'm about to order door surrounds, where do the pins screw in at for those? and also, is the header channel rolled up in the soft top with the tailgate bar?

Drakea94 03-20-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crkid
I'm finally getting to putting the soft top on. I'm about to order door surrounds, where do the pins screw in at for those? and also, is the header channel rolled up in the soft top with the tailgate bar?

:thumb: