Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fuel Pump or what? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fuel-pump-or-what-98365.html)

CJ2WRANGLER 06-15-2011 09:43 PM

Fuel Pump or what?

I put a new fuel pump in my Jeep exactly a year ago. When I put the new one in, it was obvious that it was needed, Jeep sputtered and stalled out and would not start back up. With the new pump everything was working fine until recently. Jeep will start after cranking 2-3 times and once it's running no problems at all. I turned it off and then crawled under it and could hear the fuel running back down, which would explain the cranking before starting. My question is, is it the fuel pump that is on its way out again or is there a fuel pressure regulator that is seperate and may have a valve to keep the fuel from going back into the tank? It was a brand new pump from Autozone.

Abnmarine 06-16-2011 02:39 AM

From what I read here it sounds like the fuel pressure regulator going bad allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank. Try turning the key on but don't start it. Do this two or three times leaving it on for three seconds each time. This primes the fuel rails. It then should start right up if the FPR is bad.

Mine is doing the same thing. Going to have to drop the tank as it sits on top where the pump mounts.

Buddha 06-16-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnmarine (Post 1309753)
From what I read here it sounds like the fuel pressure regulator going bad allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank. Try turning the key on but don't start it. Do this two or three times leaving it on for three seconds each time. This primes the fuel rails. It then should start right up if the FPR is bad.

Mine is doing the same thing. Going to have to drop the tank as it sits on top where the pump mounts.

I'm sure a lot has changed since the time my 93 was built, but the fuel pressure regulator on mine is on the fuel rail and not near the tank.

CJ2WRANGLER 06-17-2011 08:31 AM

yeah, if you turn the key on a few times to prime it, it starts fine. I was just curious as to if the FPR and the fuel pump were two seperate units or not. thanks for the help

Boom Stick 06-17-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ2WRANGLER (Post 1312403)
yeah, if you turn the key on a few times to prime it, it starts fine. I was just curious as to if the FPR and the fuel pump were two seperate units or not. thanks for the help

I would like to know the answer to this too! I am having the same problem, I think.

Peepers 06-17-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddha (Post 1310154)
I'm sure a lot has changed since the time my 93 was built, but the fuel pressure regulator on mine is on the fuel rail and not near the tank.

Yup... They decided to put it right on top of the fuel pump on TJs...

rrich 06-17-2011 09:17 AM

You already stated the problem:

"""""It was a brand new pump from Autozone. """""

Slightly cheaper - but far more expensive when you have to keep replacing it. Autochina doesn't sell quality parts. Get a real one.

When will they ever learn?

Shelby427 06-17-2011 10:04 AM

Pump or not, if you hear the fuel running back into the tank after shut off, the fuel pressure regulator is bad. And it's on top of the tank on TJ's.