Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Auxillary Lights - PIAA?? HID?? Driving or Fog?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/auxillary-lights-piaa-hid-driving-or-fog-98536.html)

DetonatorX 06-17-2011 09:03 AM

Auxillary Lights - PIAA?? HID?? Driving or Fog??
 
I have picked out the front bumper that I want, the Rugged Ridge XHD. Plan on ordering it in 2 weeks. Now I need to pick out some lights to put on it. I've been trying to research lights but with so many options out there its hard to decide. I'm not doing much off roading, I do a lot of night driving, so I want some extra light for when my headlights just don't cut it.

I don't know if I want driving lights or fog? What about HID's? I was originally looking at PIAA 520's. I see that Rugged Ridge has some kits, but how good are they?

What do you have or what would you recommend? Ideally I want to spend less than $250 for the two lights.

Peepers 06-17-2011 09:15 AM

If you want to get away for under $250... your probably not going to be getting HIDs... I've been looking at ones that are that price for one... although I have seen them for about $120 a light... as in single, one light... although they do have the nice feature of being as bright as a 100w+ light but only use 35w of power. so instead of 130w x 4 that I had (520w) it would drop to about 140w for all four lights.

As to standard lights, they are all pretty much the same: Hella, KC, PIAA... I would recommend driving lights, but just remember that in most states you are only allowed to run 55w lights on the road legally. and only two pairs of lights at a time.

jkaufman_95 06-17-2011 09:17 AM

The kc daylighters rock. And if they are $120 a light and ^he wants two that's $240...

Peepers 06-17-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 (Post 1312489)
The kc daylighters rock. And if they are $120 a light and ^he wants two that's $240...

KC daylighters are $120 a pair... you need to find a new source if your paying $120 per light...

Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 634 Daylighter - 6 In Black 130w Driving Beam Off Road Light System (Pair): Automotive

KC HiLiTES 634 - KC HiLiTES 130 Watt Daylighter Pair Pack System in Black - Quadratec

Ok, so $130... they've gone up in the last 2 years. or $160 if you want the rock guards you can leave on to use...

trennmaschine 06-17-2011 09:40 AM

Peepers makes a good point - it depends on what you want them for. If you're looking for auxiliary light for dark areas (back roads, etc), or areas where you are _not_ in traffic, I picked up these up at QTec from RR: Rugged Ridge 15207.70 - Rugged Ridge Hood Mount Off Road Lighting Kit for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec . The price is right for a pair (although they do draw more power) and they put out 100w ea. I like the fact that they can mount in the same place as the hood latch and don't mount up or away from the vehicle (will have pics of this as soon as I get them installed).

I also liked these from WARN: Warn 82420 - WARN 6.5" Wireless Driving Lamp Kit - Quadratec . Wireless looks like a really cool idea, but I have a couple other wireless devices in my Jeep, and I wondered about frequency problems and how they might act if wet, so I passed on them for the moment.

Vince1 06-17-2011 09:46 AM

If you are looking to use them mostly on the road, make sure they are street legal. Most HIDs are too bright and will blind oncoming traffic with excessive glare. Look for DOT approved driving lights and you'll be good.

bcls99 06-17-2011 10:00 PM

Just got the Warn ones from Quadratec. My buddy and I plan to put them on in the next couple weeks. His friend is a machinist and he made some custom brackets for them.

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...8&d=1307702906

trennmaschine 06-17-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcls99 (Post 1314232)
Just got the Warn ones from Quadratec.

Did you get the wireless ones?

bcls99 06-17-2011 11:17 PM

yeah,, they're wireless. little key fob gets mounted on the visor or somewhere in the cab that's convenient. bad picture of his mounts but they are very small, sleek looking and can be engraved if desired. He's a retired Marine so he opted to get his engraved with USMC. I'm ex-Navy but decided to leave them plain black.

moscoeb 06-18-2011 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up some hella black magics, about 110 for a pair, they are 55w so legal to use in the road, and they are a driving beam pattern. Coolest part is they are black when off and white when on. You can also order upgraded bulbs from hella if you want, I dint know how much.

bbrown626 06-18-2011 02:06 AM

If you are running them off road, you can't beat HID lights. Get the Quadratec, Kragen or any cheap "offroad" pattern light and an HID conversion kit from e-Bay and you will be happy. The Hella 500 is good one to convert or run with the Halogen bulbs. With the HID kit the power consumption is low so the wiring is simpler and you save some capacity for other loads. My Hella 4000s with 35w HID are the euro driving pattern. HID causes a lot of scatter in a Halogen light, so I get a good pattern for night time off-roading. I tested them on a back road and they are incredible, but not legal and they would definitely blind oncoming traffic since I have them aimed level.

bbrown626 06-18-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trennmaschine (Post 1312538)
Peepers makes a good point - it depends on what you want them for. If you're looking for auxiliary light for dark areas (back roads, etc), or areas where you are _not_ in traffic, I picked up these up at QTec from RR: Rugged Ridge 15207.70 - Rugged Ridge Hood Mount Off Road Lighting Kit for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec . The price is right for a pair (although they do draw more power) and they put out 100w ea. I like the fact that they can mount in the same place as the hood latch and don't mount up or away from the vehicle (will have pics of this as soon as I get them installed).

Are those in a metal housing with a glass lens? If they could take the heat of a 100W halogen them they might be a good candidate for some HID bulbs too.

trennmaschine 06-18-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcls99 (Post 1314399)
yeah,, they're wireless [snip]

I'd be curious to know if you run into any issues with these with respect to other wireless devices. I like the idea of them being wireless, but have some reservations since my work involves issues with wireless technology (among other things).

Djstorm100 06-19-2011 02:08 AM

Hey bud, I was in the same situation about lights. I had the hella 700 that I got from the dealer with my 500 bucks toward parts. Long story short I went with the KC 100w driving lights (basically a high beam) and the 135 watt long range lights. When I turn these on they light up as if it was day time. I was going to get piaa but for the performance vs money KC win's hands down. Plus they have a 23 year warranty (KC)!!

jkjeeper06 06-19-2011 08:56 AM

I have a set of KC Apollo lights. They r only 55 watts but I wanted something that I could run on the road. I know they aren't DOT approved but they are the right wattage so that's good enough for me. I have those on a light bar on my bumper and I love them. They throw the perfect amount of light for back roads. I also have a set of the PIAA 520's on my windshield and those are really nice and really bright. Those are great but you can't get caught running them on the streets as they aren't legal. I'd say go with a good brand and get a good warranty like KC if you can. I'm not sure if HID is worth it. If you really want that just do an HID headlight kit

bcls99 06-19-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trennmaschine (Post 1315050)
I'd be curious to know if you run into any issues with these with respect to other wireless devices. I like the idea of them being wireless, but have some reservations since my work involves issues with wireless technology (among other things).

Sure, I'll let you know if they cause any issues. I a putting them on in a couple weeks after my buddy finishes the mounting bracket.

jkaufman_95 06-19-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peepers

KC daylighters are $120 a pair... you need to find a new source if your paying $120 per light...

Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 634 Daylighter - 6 In Black 130w Driving Beam Off Road Light System (Pair): Automotive

KC HiLiTES 634 - KC HiLiTES 130 Watt Daylighter Pair Pack System in Black - Quadratec

Ok, so $130... they've gone up in the last 2 years. or $160 if you want the rock guards you can leave on to use...

Okay well my buddy bought them. Must have heard him wrong or they arnt daylighters. All I know is they are freaking bright

Macman1138 06-19-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetonatorX (Post 1312457)
I have picked out the front bumper that I want, the Rugged Ridge XHD. Plan on ordering it in 2 weeks. Now I need to pick out some lights to put on it. I've been trying to research lights but with so many options out there its hard to decide. I'm not doing much off roading, I do a lot of night driving, so I want some extra light for when my headlights just don't cut it.

I don't know if I want driving lights or fog? What about HID's? I was originally looking at PIAA 520's. I see that Rugged Ridge has some kits, but how good are they?

What do you have or what would you recommend? Ideally I want to spend less than $250 for the two lights.

Here are some pretty sweet LEDs that I am thinking of getting. Pricey, but just pop them on and away you go! (Truck-Lite Part POI81390 - 4" LED Spot Lamp by Truck-Lite)
These should last you as long as you own your Jeep.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.