Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   WindowsXP or Vista (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/windowsxp-or-vista-9863.html)

noise 07-25-2007 10:11 AM

WindowsXP or Vista

Looking at new puters. Have heard nothing good about Vista.
Wat Say WFOT?

3....2....1....Discuss

Terms of agreement:
All Mac discussions are strictly prohibited by the original poster of this thread.Said discussions will be deemed null and void.

#12 07-25-2007 10:19 AM

xp, no doubt, vista like ME has bugs still. and personally i dont like it. just my opinion

naterg 07-25-2007 10:51 AM

Ubuntu....

#12 07-25-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naterg (Post 108520)
Ubuntu....

what does that mean? not every1 speaks in ALL acronyms

JCS05Rubi 07-25-2007 11:05 AM

x2. It was rushed, and not worth the hassel. Get xp

JCS05Rubi 07-25-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #12 (Post 108528)
what does that mean? not every1 speaks in ALL acronyms

its linux. Hard to find program apps,but a million times more stable than windows. I ran redhat for awhile and was very impressed. Now a days, you can have both on the HD and boot off either-or :)

naterg 07-25-2007 11:09 AM

lol Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, best one yet, and is pretty good. I was just being an ass because he didn't prohibit Linux users, which I am a part timer haha. Go xp

noise 07-25-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naterg (Post 108520)
Ubuntu....

Hell, I spk in all acro's and have no idea what that is..lolz
Edit:got it now

Unlimited 07-25-2007 11:15 AM

I've been running vista home premium on two laptops at home and have been very happy with it. I just ordered a new desk top with vista on it as well. Networking is super easy and I like the memory scavenging feature. The search is worlds better as well. Lots of other new stuff that is pretty cool. I run 2 gig of ram on my machines to get the most out of it.

There are a few bugs in it still, but nothing like with ME. Microsoft seems to be addressing the problems. The only problems I've had was with an older laser printer. It took a while to find a driver that worked.

Vista seems to be compatible with most everything. I like the new UI, and several of the supplied apps are pretty cool.

Levinoss 07-25-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 108538)
I've been running vista home premium on two laptops at home and have been very happy with it. I just ordered a new desk top with vista on it as well. Networking is super easy and I like the memory scavenging feature. The search is worlds better as well. Lots of other new stuff that is pretty cool. I run 2 gig of ram on my machines to get the most out of it.

There are a few bugs in it still, but nothing like with ME. Microsoft seems to be addressing the problems. The only problems I've had was with an older laser printer. It took a while to find a driver that worked.

Vista seems to be compatible with most everything. I like the new UI, and several of the supplied apps are pretty cool.

Your rare indeed unlimited, most people who have it hate they got it and want XP back. My self included, I bought a new toshiba laptop few months back and the security is so tight it slows the computer down three fold.It also needlessly hogs memory like a starving boar.Best advice is wait for Service Pack 1 then look into Vista.

I go with performance because I need the most out of a computer for online gaming. FPS/MMO's and vista is just not ready and still needs time. Heck I miss 98 was so bare bone and was great to work on, thats why I have my XP set just like 98.

EDIT: oh also get a toshiba #1 on the market, I have two.

tiny terror 07-25-2007 11:29 AM

<cough>

noise 07-25-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 108548)
<cough>

<Excuse you>

Levinoss 07-25-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 108548)
<cough>

Toshiba rocks your sox's you should know that by now.

~Lev

Unlimited 07-25-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 108543)
Your rare indeed unlimited, most people who have it hate they got it and want XP back. My self included, I bought a new toshiba laptop few months back and the security is so tight it slows the computer down three fold.It also needlessly hogs memory like a starving boar.Best advice is wait for Service Pack 1 then look into Vista.

I go with performance because I need the most out of a computer for online gaming. FPS/MMO's and vista is just not ready and still needs time. Heck I miss 98 was so bare bone and was great to work on, thats why I have my XP set just like 98.

I guess it all depends on what you are using it for. I've not met anyone that hated vista. I do work with people that don't like it because it's different (change is painful). And if you don't have sufficient memory, it's a dog.

I liked 98b, 98 had problems, and ME was a flipping nightmare. NT4 worked great, it pissed me off when MS discontinued support. XP Pro was the first stable business environment that MS released. There are times that I wish I could go back to DOS 3.1, life was simple then......

Edit: And another thing to consider: Microsoft rules the market, Vista is in, XP is out…… Everyone will be developing for Vista, while there is still a market for third party XP products, production has ceased. The market is now all about Vista. (In the Microsoft world at least, the Unix underground is a completely different story.)

tiny terror 07-25-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 108555)
Toshiba rocks your sox's you should know that by now.

~Lev

My cough was a general cough no directed at you Lev, no worries :D

.... I use a Mac and wouldn't touch a PC with someone else's hands.

Levinoss 07-25-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 108559)
My cough was a general cough no directed at you Lev, no worries :D

.... I use a Mac and wouldn't touch a PC with someone else's hands.

Zomg we got a Mac user!

I have nothing against MACs infact I learned how to build websites on MAC's. Mac's for doing graphic design, and PC for Gaming.

~Lev

AzTJ 07-25-2007 12:57 PM

XP Pro or Media Center Edition are still the best OS for a PC when considering stability, application compatibility and hardware compatibility. Vist is a system resources hog and if you don't have a mid to high end system, the OS will actually slow you down.

If you cant find XP available on any new computers, you can always build yourself one.

naterg 07-25-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 108569)
XP Pro or Media Center Edition are still the best OS for a PC when considering stability, application compatibility and hardware compatibility. Vist is a system resources hog and if you don't have a mid to high end system, the OS will actually slow you down.

If you cant find XP available on any new computers, you can always build yourself one.

I will always build my own computers. So much cheaper and easier.

Unlimited 07-25-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 108569)

Um, Ok.

Tj Bunch 07-25-2007 04:40 PM

If on a Lap top you may have to order it with XP PRO if you don't want Vista. the only thing i have heard about Vista is that alot of old Cameras and such won't work becouse drivers are different, I have no first hand experiance on that though.

AzTJ 07-25-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 108671)
Um, Ok.

Ok yes - everything is all about Vista now, but everyone is slowly adopting it. And anything that will run on Vista will run on XP as well. Service pack 1 wont even be out this year :mad: So I'm waiting to upgrade to Vista untill SP1 and when the graphics companies put out some decent drivers.

The only reason they killed production on XP is so that everyone will have to buy into Vista.

toycop 07-25-2007 06:11 PM

I'm running Vista Business 64-bit and the only problem I've had is the screensaver/wirless mouse issue. All of my Adobe apps still work great. The only software I had to upgrade was Norton Antivirus.

JCS05Rubi 07-25-2007 07:44 PM

omg, get rid of norton asap ;) JP, I just really don't like Norton :p

Did you know, that most virus programmers, write their code specifically with Norton and McAfee in mind? :)

nicolas-eric 07-25-2007 07:51 PM

WindowsXP or Vista ? :rofl:

Mac OSX...!!! :flipoff:

jjseel 07-25-2007 08:03 PM

Mac OSX...!!!

Is that a new Hamburger? :confused:

:D

nicolas-eric 07-25-2007 08:09 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

jjseel 07-25-2007 08:18 PM

You fellas are just waaay over my head! I been using my "blazingly fast" 566 for about 7 years now! (Drat! I thought I was upgrading when I bought XP!)

nicolas-eric 07-25-2007 08:20 PM

my 8 year old imac G3 "music station" in the kitchen still works very fast with the latest OSX.

AzTJ 07-25-2007 08:29 PM

I have a file host in my closet running Ubuntu 24/7 - only downtime is for cleanings :D

naterg 07-25-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 108843)
I have a file host in my closet running Ubuntu 24/7 - only downtime is for cleanings :D

I need to set up something like that with my old machine