Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What gears should i be running? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-gears-should-i-be-running-98816.html)

blackunlimited 06-19-2011 02:13 PM

What gears should i be running?
 
I have 35s...06 unlimited...what gears should I run for better mileage?

Scoob 06-19-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackunlimited (Post 1316751)
I have 35s...06 unlimited...what gears should I run for better mileage?

Auto or manual?

Vector6 06-19-2011 02:35 PM

my 2 cents

4.56 auto

4.88 manual

blackunlimited 06-19-2011 02:47 PM

Sorry...its a auto....getting 12 mpg

Rubi Unlimited 06-19-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackunlimited (Post 1316797)
Sorry...its a auto....getting 12 mpg

New gears are not likely to alter that much

XJ Knight 06-19-2011 03:48 PM

I want to say 488's for ya.. But for some reason Im questioning myself cause you got a 4 speed, not a 3 speed..

Scoob 06-19-2011 04:11 PM

I think the highest you can go with a Dana 30 front axle is 4.88. I would say 5.13's for the 4 speed auto and 35's. But if you can only get to 4.88 then that's where you should be.

But I use my Jeep to pull my camper as well, so I might be biased to the higher ratio.

Jerry Bransford 06-19-2011 04:17 PM

For 35" tires and your 4-speed automatic, 5.13 or 5.38 is optimal. But since your axles can only be regeared to 4.88 and nothing lower like the better 5.13 or 5.38, you definitely need to go with 4.88.

Even though 4.88 is the best you can go with, it's still not going to produce optimal results with 35" tires. My replacement TJ came with 35" tires and 4.88 and while it is "ok", I sure wish it had lower gears. Since it's a Rubicon, it can be regeared to 5.13 or 5.38, I just wish its previous owner had gone that route. If I win the lottery, it's getting 5.38 gearing the next day.

Don't even CONSIDER 4.56. :eek: :)

nicolas-eric 06-19-2011 04:33 PM

I have 4.56 and the 4spd auto tranny with 35s. For me it's ok. But i don't like to drive fast. With 100 km/h i have 2000 rpm. For higher speeds it is the wring gearing. Speeds +120 km/h only work in the 3er gear.

Jerry Bransford 06-19-2011 04:44 PM

Trust me that at 100 kmh, your engine is lugging at only 2000 rpms. 2000 rpms at that speed is fine for a sleek aerodynamic car running car-size tires, not so for a Wrangler with the aerodynamics of a barn door running big tires. 4.56 is a bad ratio choice for 35" tires and the 4-speed 42RLE automatic transmission.

ReconBubba6 06-19-2011 05:04 PM

Don't mean to jack your thread, but since the subject's out there...I've got a 99 4-Banger auto w/31's...What is the best gearing to get, and can i do just the rear or do I need to do both at the same time...Also I'm looking at going to 32x11.5 soon if not 33x12.5

Jerry Bransford 06-19-2011 05:43 PM

If you go for 33" tires, I'd go for 4.56 gearing which will work well with your 3-speed automatic and four-banger. I don't know that I'd regear with a smaller size tire though.

You can get away with just regearing the rear axle so long as you don't shift into 4x4. But you'll need to regear both axles to start using 4x4 again though.

UnlimitedLJ04 06-19-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1316927)
For 35" tires and your 4-speed automatic, 5.13 or 5.38 is optimal. But since your axles can only be regeared to 4.88 and nothing lower like the better 5.13 or 5.38, you definitely need to go with 4.88.
...
Don't even CONSIDER 4.56. :eek: :)

x2 on this. don't forget to recalibrate the speedo for the larger tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 1316953)
I have 4.56 and the 4spd auto tranny with 35s. For me it's ok. But i don't like to drive fast. With 100 km/h i have 2000 rpm. For higher speeds it is the wring gearing. Speeds +120 km/h only work in the 3er gear.

If you think 4.56s and 35s is good, talk to 2005X on JeepForum. He ran that setup...then saw the light when he moved someplace that wasn't flat as a pancake.

ReconBubba6 06-20-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If you go for 33" tires, I'd go for 4.56 gearing which will work well with your 3-speed automatic and four-banger. I don't know that I'd regear with a smaller size tire though.

You can get away with just regearing the rear axle so long as you don't shift into 4x4. But you'll need to regear both axles to start using 4x4 again though.

Thanks Jerry that's exactly what I wanted to know.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.