Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Not shifting into four wheel (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/not-shifting-into-four-wheel-99139.html)

jearnest 06-21-2011 03:52 PM

Not shifting into four wheel
 
2007 Rubicon, manual transmission - this morning I tried shifting into four wheel drive (4H) and the shift stick is very loose, not feeling anything engaging? thoughts??

daggo66 06-21-2011 03:56 PM

You've broken the plastic connector.

MTH 06-21-2011 04:26 PM

On this issue: Does anybody have a picture of these bushings installed?

I stopped by my local dealership and picked up four of the bushings as a matter of good insurance.

However, when I climbed under my Jeep this morning (suit and all, very nice) to make sure I could use them if and when the time comes, I couldn't see where I would insert them. I assume it must go above the t-case somewhere, but between the skid plate and the hot exhaust, I can't see how you could fix it yourself out on the trial . . . :confused:

Most of the pics I've seen online are of DIY "alternate" fixes that don't really demonstrate the proper use of the bushing. For example, there's an oft referenced JKO thread, but all the pics are of a removed t-case where the guy modded the shifter handle.

jk'n 06-21-2011 09:13 PM

Let me start out by saying that the bushing is an easy fix. It is simply snapped into place in a round hole on the end of a cable and then the cable and bushing are snapped onto a pin.

What you will need is this part from the dealer, it costs about sixty cents.

P/N 68064273-AA

Now to find some pictures:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...4&d=1269280286

To find where under your jeep that this is, crawl under from the driver's side about at the driver door. Look for the transfer case and on the side of the case that faces the driver side of the jeep, you will find what is in the picture above. It is just above the exhaust pipe and if you just shut the jeep off exercise care around the hot exhaust. The picture shows the linkage disconnected from the place on the shifter lever that it goes on and I see no bushing in the hole at the end of the linkage. The bushing is made of white plastic.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...5&d=1269280286

This picture shows the linkage placed on the pin. I still see no bushing. Placing the linkage on the pin will allow you to temporarily use the shift lever to get the transfer case into 2wd for use on the road if you were in something other than 2wd.

Look at the shape of the bushing. You will see which surface goes towards the pin. Just snap the bushing into the round hole on the end of the cable and then the bushing pushes onto the pin and snaps into place.

Simple.

Off Road King 06-21-2011 09:14 PM

I need to get those things, how much are they, part #, and how do I install them?

jk'n 06-21-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road King (Post 1322097)
I need to get those things, how much are they, part #, and how do I install them?

We must have posted at the same time.

Off Road King 06-21-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1322093)
Let me start out by saying that the bushing is an easy fix. It is simply snapped into place in a round hole on the end of a cable and then the cable and bushing are snapped onto a pin.

What you will need is this part from the dealer, it costs about sixty cents.

P/N 68064273-AA

Now to find some pictures:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...4&d=1269280286

To find where under your jeep that this is, crawl under from the driver's side about at the driver door. Look for the transfer case and on the side of the case that faces the driver side of the jeep, you will find what is in the picture above. It is just above the exhaust pipe and if you just shut the jeep off exercise care around the hot exhaust. The picture shows the linkage disconnected from the place on the shifter lever that it goes on and I see no bushing in the hole at the end of the linkage. The bushing is made of white plastic.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...5&d=1269280286

This picture shows the linkage placed on the pin. I still see no bushing. Placing the linkage on the pin will allow you to temporarily use the shift lever to get the transfer case into 2wd for use on the road if you were in something other than 2wd.

Look at the shape of the bushing. You will see which surface goes towards the pin. Just snap the bushing into the round hole on the end of the cable and then the bushing pushes onto the pin and snaps into place.

Simple.

You answered my question fast, thanks.

Off Road King 06-21-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1322104)
We must have posted at the same time.

I cant seem to find that thing, can you get some pics of it installed still? I crawled all around that T-case and couldn't seem to find the thing.

jk'n 06-21-2011 09:30 PM

^^ I'll see if I can get a decent picture of mine. Give me a few minutes. I'll take a picture of the bushing from hell as well.

MTH 06-21-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road King
I need to get those things, how much are they, part #, and how do I install them?

On price, I picked up four from my local dealership at I believe 57 cents each.

MTH 06-21-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n
^^ I'll see if I can get a decent picture of mine. Give me a few minutes. I'll take a picture of the bushing from hell as well.

Thanks--I've got to wait until morning to take another look, but the pics so far have been helpful. Don't recall seeing anything like that this morning . . . If I can't find it tomorrow either I'll toss up some pics of whatever the heck it is I'm looking at.

Off Road King 06-21-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1322154)
Thanks--I've got to wait until morning to take another look, but the pics so far have been helpful. Don't recall seeing anything like that this morning . . . If I can't find it tomorrow either I'll toss up some pics of whatever the heck it is I'm looking at.

I could not find that cable on mine either, I looked after those first pics where up.

jk'n 06-21-2011 11:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Below is a picture of the bag with the part number:

Attachment 54636

And the plastic bushing. Note the small square on the part of the bushing that will face outside.

Attachment 54637

And the place where the bushing is mounted. You should be able to make out that square.

Attachment 54638

I could barely get the camera up there to take a picture. The exhaust pipe is out of focus in the fore ground. Beyond that is the drive axle that goes to the front differential. The drive axle is what makes the bushing so difficult to see. It is almost directly below where the shifter lever is for the transfer case. I had to hold the camera above the exhaust pipe to get a picture of it. I had to slide under the jeep just behind the front wheel at about where the hinges are for the driver's side door.

JPWheelin 06-22-2011 06:38 AM

JK'n...could you be more specific? I'm JK'n (Just Kidding). Thanks for taking the time for all the details. I'm also gonna pic up a set and throw them in the glove box so I'll have em when I need em :thumb:

jk'n 06-22-2011 06:51 AM

@ JP

I started reading your post and began to think.....maybe I should draw a picture!

Then the logic started to kick in as I read on. :rofl:

I don't know how those two top pictures were so clean and in focus. Whoever took them is pretty good with a camera.

jk'n 06-22-2011 07:03 AM

***** A WARNING TO ALL JK OWNERS 07 TO BRAND NEW WHO WHEEL *******
***** MANUAL TRANSMISSION OR AUTOMATIC....IT DOESN'T MATTER ********

This little sixty cent bushing of death will break at the most in-opportune time when you are out in the middle of no-where. God help you if you don't carry a spare......or five in the glove box.

When I broke mine, I was accused of man handling my stick......
Well since then I've been handling it like a girly-man....
My stick has been much better since.....
It hasn't eaten any additional bushings.....
But I think it is just a poor system and it is just a matter of time before I break another bushing.

If you wheel with a club and keep extras in the box for when your stick gets bent out of shape and goes loose....think of the joy you will experience when you know you have a spare in the box! Now if someone else manhandles their stick....think of the fun you will have when you produce one of those bushings waaaaaay out in the woods. I relish the thought.

daggo66 06-22-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPWheelin (Post 1322782)
JK'n...could you be more specific? I'm JK'n (Just Kidding). Thanks for taking the time for all the details. I'm also gonna pic up a set and throw them in the glove box so I'll have em when I need em :thumb:

Use the proper techique to shift into 4WD and you'll never need them. that plastic piece is designed to break so that dange is not caused to the TC.

jk'n 06-22-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1322828)
Use the proper techique to shift into 4WD and you'll never need them. that plastic piece is designed to break so that dange is not caused to the TC.

See....there is one of the girlyman cheerleaders that I was speaking of....sorry Tom. :rofl:

My son's YJ uses a mechanical linkage and that is the manly man solution. :D

daggo66 06-22-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1322833)
See....there is one of the girlyman cheerleaders that I was speaking of....sorry Tom. :rofl:

My son's YJ uses a mechanical linkage and that is the manly man solution. :D

Make sure your YJ vacuum lines are intact if you want 4WD. :whistling:

jk'n 06-22-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1322837)
Make sure your YJ vacuum lines are intact if you want 4WD. :whistling:

Ya, my neighbor did that for me putting new lines in because the thing wouldn't go into 4 wheel when he owned it. Now all I have to do is maintain it. He also changed out the vacuum switch on the transmission. I guess every system has its weak links. :rolleyes:

jk'n 06-22-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1322828)
Use the proper techique to shift into 4WD and you'll never need them. that plastic piece is designed to break so that dange is not caused to the TC.

All joking aside, there is some truth in what Tom is saying here. It shouldn't break under normal circumstances. When mine broke I was in the bottom of a washout on a really rough back-road in New Hampshire. I think I got a little nervous about the surroundings and the adrenalin probably had me shifting a little out of my mind so to speak. So, point taken....shift carefully. But keep one of those bushing buggers in your glove box for WHEN it happens to break. Notice my wording....not if but WHEN.

Off Road King 06-22-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1322491)
Below is a picture of the bag with the part number:

Attachment 54636

And the plastic bushing. Note the small square on the part of the bushing that will face outside.

Attachment 54637

And the place where the bushing is mounted. You should be able to make out that square.

Attachment 54638

I could barely get the camera up there to take a picture. The exhaust pipe is out of focus in the fore ground. Beyond that is the drive axle that goes to the front differential. The drive axle is what makes the bushing so difficult to see. It is almost directly below where the shifter lever is for the transfer case. I had to hold the camera above the exhaust pipe to get a picture of it. I had to slide under the jeep just behind the front wheel at about where the hinges are for the driver's side door.

That little thing is hard as hell to get to, I think I felt it when I was reaching up their...

jk'n 06-22-2011 10:51 AM

I think you need a drop light in the right place and if you peer in from the right direction you will see it. Looking at it from directly below the trans-axle blocks the view, any further in towards the center-line of the jeep and the skid plate blocks the view. You can barely see it looking in between the exhaust pipe and the tans-axle.

Off Road King 06-22-2011 07:48 PM

Ya, I finally found it... And I have two extras in the glove box now

ppzi 06-23-2011 11:17 AM

Mine went last week and the dealer charged me $120 to replace it and said that it broke because I was offroad. I'm working on trying to get get corporate to call the dealer and cover it under warranty.

Off Road King 06-23-2011 09:26 PM

ya, that's why I just went ahead, found where it was, and got a few extras

jeepkingtn 07-03-2011 10:31 AM

Mine went out when I tried shifting into 4WD and I am stuck in 4WDH. Is there a way to get it back into 2WD until I can get to a dealer and get the bushing? My shifter is totally loose and slides back and forth. Thanks!

jeepkingtn 07-03-2011 11:22 AM

I loosened the center console and slide the cable back in place. My guess is if your 4WD shifter is totally loose and will slide back and forth it is the top bushing and if you shift the lever and the shifter still goes into the notches somewhat it is the lower bushing. When I bought it the bottom bushing was gone. Thanks again.

jk'n 07-03-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepkingtn (Post 1349671)
Mine went out when I tried shifting into 4WD and I am stuck in 4WDH. Is there a way to get it back into 2WD until I can get to a dealer and get the bushing? My shifter is totally loose and slides back and forth. Thanks!

If the bottom linkage is off, you can temporarily put the ring at the end of the cable back on the pin, it won't stay there for too long but if you are careful you will be able to shift it out of 4 into 2 wd. That is how I got mine to the dealer. The dealer may or may not have extra bushings. That is why, at 60 cents each, it is better to have a few spares in the glove-box.

Yella 07-06-2011 09:02 PM

After the embarrassing ride home at the end of a yella strap last weekend from the 4x4 trails I was at, I am going to change that little bushing once a year whether it needs it or not. Changing it was a breeze in the driveway; in a mud hole, not so much.

There was remnants of the old bushing on the pin and the flange of it was still there. It looked more deteriorated from the elements being underneath the truck than abuse. It looks and feels like it is made of nylon and a little experience I have with nylon tells me it won't hold up too long in that environment.

I just got my Jeep a month ago so I donít' know how many may have been changed. I suspect this is the first time. The one I put in yesterday might last three years but based on a reminder in my Outlook it only has 364 more days to go.

BTW, GREAT topic here. This is the one that got me to sign up. I should have looked this up on my BlackBerry while I was waiting on that yella strap. That was bad...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.