Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Good Deal/Buy? Keep Looking? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/good-deal-buy-keep-looking-99175.html)

Stoff 06-21-2011 06:00 PM

Good Deal/Buy? Keep Looking?

4 Attachment(s)
The Ad as posted:

-REALLY CLEAN JEEP! CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX ANYTIME 2000 JEEP WRANGLER, AUTOMATIC, 4 WHEEL DRIVE, FACTORY HARDTOP, 91K MILES, REALLY CLEAN, AC WORKS GREAT, CRUISE CONTROL-

Price $9,300 talked him down from $9,800 as posted in the ad, he originally had an ad out in early June for $10,200.

I went to give it a look over and a short test drive. The engine was very clean as was the interior. Some rust under the jeep, but nothing rusting through, seemed like normal rust in a 10yr vehicle. The A/C directional knob is broken off. The A/C would not work, the seller thought it was just the fan switch, as you could hear the compressor come on but no air coming out of the vents. The seller said it would be fixed before the sale. Also the seller told be that it was a factory hardtop so it has improved rear springs (tighter?). It has a sound bar, dome light, cassette player no CD.

Any help, insight, and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

P.S. I live in Gainesville, Florida (not near the coast) and am a recent college grad looking to buy a jeep and move to the Colorado mountains where I will be working this winter.

Mikekaz1 06-21-2011 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's a solid buy! If he's fixing the knob then there's no problems. It's a good buy to me. I got mine for $10,500 last October. It was a 2000 auto sahara with 100,000 on the odometer. With the hard top also

SurfKaster 06-21-2011 06:43 PM

It's not a bad deal, but not a 'great' deal either. I paid just over 7 for my 01 last year. Granted it had 129k, but came with a HT & had basically the same setup. The A/C could be something as simple as a 7$ relay, or 100$ for the whole panel (if everything is melted behind it). That A/C problem can be tricky to pinpoint, but an overall easy fix. I bought just about every part before determining it was the relay. I have a switch you can have if you buy it.

fan of fanboys 06-21-2011 07:10 PM

If clean I say go for it. More than fair, especially if he fixes AC. I paid $11 from a dealer last year for my 01 sport. It only had 62K miles and was one owner, local woman. Mine is sift top though.

Outside clean. I say buy.

Jeepfan89 06-21-2011 07:44 PM

Seems like a decent buy but if you can drive a standard I would HIGHLY recomend one vs the auto, that is just me tho. Does seem like a decent buy, I would recomend not jumping the gun though, I waited almost 4 months before I got mine and I looked at and test drove over 20. Got an 02 with 52K for $12 from an owner not dealership. It is interesting that it says AC works great and then later you say AC doesn't work, just pointing it out.

6InARowMakesItGo 06-21-2011 07:48 PM

what rear end? if it's a d44 then i would buy this one as long as the ac is fixed prior to sale.

wirejock 06-21-2011 07:49 PM

Did anyone ask if it was a 4L? Maybe I missed it. Seems like it would be important to the price.

6InARowMakesItGo 06-21-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirejock (Post 1322037)
Did anyone ask if it was a 4L? Maybe I missed it. Seems like it would be important to the price.

oh yea thats a good point. i guess i just assumed it was.

also i just re read that he says the ac works in the add but then it didn't when you tried it. that might bother me.

C.L. 06-21-2011 07:56 PM

It's a sport. So i believe 6cyl is implied. D44 rear was only an option in the sport, i would verify that before signing any papers. I see a tow hitch in the picture, but there's no guarantee that was factory installed (implying D44 rear).

6InARowMakesItGo 06-21-2011 07:57 PM

yea it also says 4.0L right on the side.

Stoff 06-21-2011 08:00 PM

Its a sport therefor a 4.0L, I like manuals but not too picky with that as each has its perks and downfalls. I will not buy it unless the A/C is fixed and working on the date of sale. I have been looking for over a month, have looked at and drove just one other car. I actually had a similar post for that and decided keep looking. And have now found this.

I do not think it is D44, almost certain it is not.

Panther57 06-21-2011 08:37 PM

I think this is a better deal ...

2004 Jeep Wrangler - $10500 (Bay City, Mich.)

Date: 2011-06-21, 4:08PM EDT
Reply to: sale-kkrgr-2454215078@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
2004 Jeep Wrangler X. 74K miles. New (expensive) tires. Near to 'like new' condition. Asking price is $10,500. Look up the BB value, and you'll see I deducted for a cracked windshild, and a minor dent in the left door. It is an automatic trans, has every option I know but for cruise control. No PW or PL. Don't know if they were offered. The last 40K miles were me commuting from BC to Flint. Easy miles. Write if seriously interested.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
http://images.craigslist.org/3mf3od3...edba471452.jpg

PostingID: 2454215078

Shelby427 06-21-2011 08:50 PM

Pretty clean looking jeep, doesn't look like it saw much if any off road use.
Ran it on KBB and in good condition, private seller, $9340.00

If he's going to have the a/c repaired, make a deal to have a mechanic check it over at the same time. Will cost you a few bucks to do, but well worth it.

I'm a little south of you and we paid 8 grand for a 97 Sahara, auto, soft top, alloys, a/c, etc. and 13600 on it, little over a month ago.
And it was as clean looking as the one you are showing.

fan of fanboys 06-21-2011 08:59 PM

Run VIN here

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin

SurfKaster 06-21-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepfan89 (Post 1322024)
Seems like a decent buy but if you can drive a standard I would HIGHLY recomend one vs the auto, that is just me tho.

As jeepfan stated that's personal preference. My PP would be the auto. I've had several standards back in the day & just knew I wanted another after driving almost a decade with an auto. HOWEVER, if I were to do it again I'd take the auto in heartbeat.

Let's face it. A Jeep is a glorified tractor, not a sports car. When I have my sandy left food hanging out the side from a day at the beach the last thing I want to do is pull it in to shift through the next 5 gears at every red light. Not to mention riding the clutch in hilly terrain, or backing in the driveway. However, that's just me;)

Stoff 06-22-2011 02:36 AM

Update

UPDATE:

Did a carfax and it came back with two minor accidents, both by the first owner (not the current seller) in 2002 and 2006. Also the car originated in Cali and has been in Florida since 2002. The seller did say the front bummer had been replaced not sure if it is related to the accidents, but I am guessing so as the carfax said it was involved in a read end collision, and the second accident just said "auto accident"

UPDATE

Mikekaz1 06-22-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoff
UPDATE:

Did a carfax and it came back with two minor accidents, both by the first owner (not the current seller) in 2002 and 2006. Also the car originated in Cali and has been in Florida since 2002. The seller did say the front bummer had been replaced not sure if it is related to the accidents, but I am guessing so as the carfax said it was involved in a read end collision, and the second accident just said "auto accident"

UPDATE

Check to see if the frames been pulled ever. Or if there's any buckles or whatnot. If it's clean then no problem!

kjeeper10 06-22-2011 05:36 AM

My jeep got towed for driving on a suspended license, this happened 7 yrs ago. Carfax shows "accident reported" don't always trust them. Do your research.
I actually took my neighbors door off swinging into my parking spot. Jeep had no damage (car did) and that was reported
also.

Stoff 06-23-2011 12:55 AM

Thanks guys

Thanks for the input everyone. Gonna have a mechanic look at it, and I'm gonna give it another test drive this time in city and at highway speed. If it all checks out make another offer to try and get him down.

fan of fanboys 06-23-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoff
Thanks for the input everyone. Gonna have a mechanic look at it, and I'm gonna give it another test drive this time in city and at highway speed. If it all checks out make another offer to try and get him down.

If checks out it looks good enough to buy. I'm a manual guy but many times I'd love that auto.

Stoff 06-23-2011 11:40 AM

Yeah I could go either way with the transmission. Manual is fun, and allows for more control in general. Auto is good too for some steep spots and for convenience.

Stoff 06-23-2011 06:07 PM

Anyone else have an opinion as tomm will be D-Day! Will either own my first Jeep or walk away from the deal at the last minute...

Mortalis5509 06-23-2011 07:24 PM

What did the mech say?

Stoff 06-23-2011 09:09 PM

Taking it to the mechanic tomm, and for a final test drive if it checks out I will just go ahead and buy it.

SurfKaster 06-24-2011 12:55 AM

Because I'm cheap when buying used cars I'd personally use the carfax report to knock him down a bit more. Also, have your mech check around the rear main seal as they're notorious for leaking.

Stoff 06-24-2011 10:49 AM

Wish me luck!

Stoff 06-26-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoff (Post 1328557)
Wish me luck!

Anti-luck the A/C switch couldnt get fixed in time before the weekend. So now waiting to take it to my mechanic mon/tues with a final test drive and look over.

Rubicondon53 06-26-2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder Monkey (Post 1322254)
As jeepfan stated that's personal preference. My PP would be the auto. I've had several standards back in the day & just knew I wanted another after driving almost a decade with an auto. HOWEVER, if I were to do it again I'd take the auto in heartbeat.

Let's face it. A Jeep is a glorified tractor, not a sports car. When I have my sandy left food hanging out the side from a day at the beach the last thing I want to do is pull it in to shift through the next 5 gears at every red light. Not to mention riding the clutch in hilly terrain, or backing in the driveway. However, that's just me;)

I'm sorry, but, "riding the clutch" ????? No wonder you prefer an auto tranny. I've had nothing but manuals my entire life, and never, never, ever had the need, nor the desire to ride a clutch. :nonono: Hmmmmm... manual transmissions are far more reliable than any auto, since the beginning of time. If one doesn't know how to use a manual properly, then fine, stick with your auto, but once one learns to operate a stick properly, they'll never look back on the auto with any fondness. Of course though, if you are running a mall jeep, it is an entirely different story. I'm thinking from the point of view that a trail rig would have. No wait!! you mean there are jeeps out there that never see the trail? OOOOOHHHHH the PAIN !!:doh2:

greenjeepgurl87 06-26-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53

I'm sorry, but, "riding the clutch" ????? No wonder you prefer an auto tranny. I've had nothing but manuals my entire life, and never, never, ever had the need, nor the desire to ride a clutch. :nonono: Hmmmmm... manual transmissions are far more reliable than any auto, since the beginning of time. If one doesn't know how to use a manual properly, then fine, stick with your auto, but once one learns to operate a stick properly, they'll never look back on the auto with any fondness. Of course though, if you are running a mall jeep, it is an entirely different story. I'm thinking from the point of view that a trail rig would have. No wait!! you mean there are jeeps out there that never see the trail? OOOOOHHHHH the PAIN !!:doh2:

^^ Haha awesome.

dale 3 06-26-2011 06:46 AM

Plenty of jeeps out their! That price is ok for a no accident jeep.If you want this one minimum $750 off for the crashes if frame was untouched!!:thumb: I myself would spend a little more to get the odometer below 60k.ODO IS A HUGE FACTOR on wear and corrosion.Ex specially on the beach! No worry in colorado.Todays ecomony i wouldn't pay much more than trade in value.