Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hearing a pop (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hearing-a-pop-99312.html)

crumb 06-22-2011 12:51 PM

Hearing a pop

Whenever I move forward from a stopped position I hear a pop in the suspension or maybe something else(driveline). It seems to be coming from the front drivers side but it is hard to tell since I am in the jeep when it happens.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

aliTJ 06-22-2011 01:37 PM

I would get under there and make sure everything is tight. Could be a lose track bar bushing, or even a sway bar link. Mine popped when they were shot.

ospreyguy 06-22-2011 02:33 PM

Sounds just like a rear control arm bushing. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out. They are pretty easy to spot moving around it you have someone look while you drive (or you look while they drive) with a really short burst.

I was sure it was the clutch or something like that...

crumb 06-23-2011 12:55 AM

Thanks for the hints. I will check those all out tomorrow and let you know if we have a winner.

blkrubi88 06-23-2011 04:10 AM

X2 on the control arm bushings. Mine is doing the same thing and hopefully I'll be installing new ones this weekend!

mxracer881 06-24-2011 12:27 PM

Mine is doing the same thing ... Let me know how it works

mxracer881 06-24-2011 06:39 PM

How long should control arm bushings last?

TJWenatchee 06-24-2011 07:06 PM

Ditto on mine. Waiting until the lift is installed before I run down any noises.

HarryJeepGuy 06-24-2011 09:02 PM

Had the same issue. Ended up being front passenger axle U-joint. Check yours for play, should be solid. Mine was loudest when turning right from a stop. Try twisting it, prying up on it, and watch it while turning your front driveshaft by hand. Could see mine move and hear the clunk. Shouldn't be any movement. $15 at Advance for a brute force.... Which I probably wouldn't recommend.

MikesX2003 06-25-2011 10:02 AM

I have the same problem. My friend and I just installed a Skyjacker 2" BB with new shocks. I didn't have any noises before putting the lift in. But after I now have for lack of a better term a "pop" or a clunk. I have gone back and checked everything we loosened to install the lift and everything seems tight. The only thing I can find is the driverside sway bar disconnect seems to have a very small amount of play shake in it. When we tried to loosen the top bolt we were unable to loosen it. He said it was rusted together under the rubber boot and it was spinning on a ball inside? So we were unable to re tighten it due to the spin. Do you think this might be what's causing my new noise? It doesn't seem to move enough to make any noise. I really have to pull on it to get it to move at all.

HarryJeepGuy 06-27-2011 09:32 AM

Not sure what kind of disconnects you have, but that doesn't sound good. Like anything else that doesn't move, it's either rust or lack of effort... I know on the first lift I put on in 03 I had a popping noise the day after and thought it was the disconnects until I saw the paint peeled up on the swaybar where it meets the frame/front bumper on the drivers side and clean metal on the other. It was just the sway bar moving. It stopped after it settled. I'm a fan of Arocroil (probably spelled wrong) and that fixed it. Once it got settled I had no more noise. I just replaced the P.O.S. Superlift springs with Old Man Emu after 80,000 miles on the Superlift and went through the same thing again. Take a look or measure the difference on each side, that might be it. If it is it will stop. If not, keep looking, may be driveline issues. Oil stuff up, and keep driving, you'll figure it out. Nothing beats having someone you trust ( or your wife) driving it while you watch and listen... Either way, I think I'd replace that disco.