Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Wiring Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wiring-question-99371.html)

MTH 06-22-2011 07:29 PM

Wiring Question

Folks,

I'm in the process of ordering a winch. The future will include a CB and a set of A-frame mounted lights.

I'll only be wiring the winch in the near term, but I want to plan ahead. I also want to do the installs intelligently, i.e., no excess draw on the battery, no circuits that are likely to short, no wires running where they'll melt, make sure to include all the fuses I should, no self-electrocution, etc.

The problem is I have the wiring skills of a 3-year-old girl. I couldn't design a good electrical plan if my life depended on it. To me, electricity pretty much equals magic. I have zero understanding of grounds, shorts, amps v volts v ohms, wiring, splicing, soldering, fuses, relays, etc. etc.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a wiring set up that not only accounts for the winch, but also leaves room to grow with the future items as well?

I don't need you to waste your time educating me on wiring--though you're welcome to do so--but simply to identify a working set up I can mimic. And maybe warn me of likely pitfalls you can think of.

For example, is there some aftermarket box that should draw from the battery and all of the accessories then draw from that box? Or should I instead run all of these accessories directly to the battery (doesn't sound smart)? Or should I run the winch to the battery, but merely splice the lights and the CB into already existing circuits?

I just have no idea. :confused: Any input would be appreciated.

:hide: Or, alternatively, does anyone in NC want to help me install a winch with my forward looking plan in mind . . . :hide:

jk'n 06-22-2011 08:17 PM

Mike, I have temporarily wired my winch directly to the battery with the circuit protection provided with it. Eventually I will put some additional controls on it but consider the install safe. I am going to be installing an on board air system. As I build that out I am going to refine my system. My biggest concern is the unsightliness of my system as it is right now. Some of my minor concerns would be that the winch and air system may be activated with the key off. I plan on fixing that in two ways: The winch on a good sized relay and the air system on a multiple relay system that includes distribution to multiple circuits all fused properly and able to be controlled by the key. I don't know where I am going to get the key fed power to control the relays yet but my first thought would be from the cigarette lighter that is used for powering accessories only while the key is on. That will require running a wire through the firewall. I don't know if there is a place that is under the hood for the same purpose. I tried to just stay with generalities for now. Maybe we can work through this one bit at a time?

MTH 06-22-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n
Maybe we can work through this one bit at a time?

Yeah, the vagueness of my question concerned me--I don't know that there's really a way to answer it. Not surprised it hasn't exactly triggered a flood of responses.

Would one customarily wire some sort of box to the battery, then wire everything to the box? The box could have fuses and ground connections. That sounds clean and makes the most sense to my electrically challenged brain, but I suppose it provides no obvious way to have the whole box shut down without the key.

I guess I'm just curious what a typical electrical set up looks like when somebody has a winch, some lights, a CB, and whatever else. I can't believe most folks just run line after line after line to the battery. :confused:

jk'n 06-22-2011 10:01 PM

I have a similar situation to yours. A big load and several smaller ones. When the jeep is off, I want all of the load on the battery off. I can see the possibility that the winch may need a bypass so it would operate when the key is off. Not sure on that one yet. I have gotten some ideas from a recent thread about this. I'm planning to start with getting the winch wired so that it is off of the battery as it is right now. I consider that wiring temporary. I do have to think about this a little and come up with some standard parts and wiring. I'll keep you posted as I go if you end up working at my speed.

jk'n 06-22-2011 10:03 PM

Any idea on the ETA of the winch?

MTH 06-22-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Any idea on the ETA of the winch?

Working it out with our Q-tec rep right now. There's some other doodads I'm picking up too as part of one large order, so once he and I figure out the details I'm placing the order. A week maybe. :thumb:

joe002 06-22-2011 10:16 PM

This would work for you I think, but maybe it's a bit too advanced? It's fused protection for all accessories, it has a switch to turn on/off the power to your winch, it has all relays and fuses in one box... Maybe I could help answer some specific questions later?

jk'n 06-22-2011 10:35 PM

Joe, yours was the thread that I had in mind when I had some ideas from a recent thread. Mike's going to need some hand holding through this I'm going to have to study up on this. I'm pretty good on circuits and wiring. I was impressed with your connections. I always reinforce my crimps with soldering and when I saw that in your thread I was impressed. I also liked your choices for circuit distribution.

Where did you get accessory key switched power for the relays? And did you power the winch relay on the accessory circuit?

joe002 06-22-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1324891)
Joe, yours was the thread that I had in mind when I had some ideas from a recent thread. Mike's going to need some hand holding through this I'm going to have to study up on this. I'm pretty good on circuits and wiring. I was impressed with your connections. I always reinforce my crimps with soldering and when I saw that in your thread I was impressed. I also liked your choices for circuit distribution...

Thanks, happy to help where I can. I did spend a lot of time researching, then ordering, then putting it all together. It's not my DD, so I didn't have to finish pieces so I could drive it to work the next day, but the project can be broken down into manageable parts that can be done without leaving your Jeep a mess for the next day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1324891)
...Where did you get accessory key switched power for the relays? And did you power the winch relay on the accessory circuit?

I got the switched power off the cig lighter (you can see it in the upper left part of my schematic). I figured it was a perfect place because itís designed for an aftermarket device and it's fused. In any case the relay really doesn't draw much at all.

Yes, I purposely powered the winch off the accessory circuit. I read over in Europe that "greenies" were unspooling winch lines up over the roof of vehicles and hooking the end to the rear bumper or frame then they used a paperclip in the external switch to engage the relay and "crush" the vehicle. I wanted to make it a little harder for someone to do that to my Jeep.

jk'n 06-22-2011 11:06 PM

Yes, I just got done looking at your wiring diagram and saw the feed from the cigarette lighter.

And I figured doing the circuit one step at a time so that I could drive it in the tween times would be a good solution.

I agree about the winch on the accessory circuit. Mine sitting there able to be used without the key worries me. But will be solved with this wiring circuit.

I'm going to go over to your thread to ask a few more questions.

Thanks.

MTH 06-22-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe002
This would work for you I think, but maybe it's a bit too advanced? It's fused protection for all accessories, it has a switch to turn on/off the power to your winch, it has all relays and fuses in one box... Maybe I could help answer some specific questions later?

Holy crap! Yes, that would be fantastic.

You're obviously a magician . . . :D

I'm going to have to study that for awhile and see what questions come up. Based on JK'n's comments, the best play might be to wire the winch direct to the battery as a sort of "test" run, and then look at both of your comments and that thread again with the goal of making follow up questions.

Quote:

Mike's going to need some hand holding through this I'm going to have to study up on this.

No doubt. It looks like I've got at least two folks here that can do it. :thumb: Now let me go see if I can make any sense out of Joe's stuff . . .

joe002 06-23-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1325039)
Yes, I just got done looking at your wiring diagram and saw the feed from the cigarette lighter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 1325039)

And I figured doing the circuit one step at a time so that I could drive it in the tween times would be a good solution.

I agree about the winch on the accessory circuit. Mine sitting there able to be used without the key worries me. But will be solved with this wiring circuit.

I'm going to go over to your thread to ask a few more questions.

Thanks.

Yeah, there are a lot of smaller projects that can be made out of the entire setup. No one step that you would be working on in the Jeep would take up a day.

Yeah, the switch and relay for the winch was a priority for me too and took a bit of research as it didnít appear to be a very popular setup. As a side note, in addition to protecting your Jeep from vandalism, you wonít have to worry about shorting it out in deep water (since there wonít be any power running to it when you are driving around), plus youíll always want to have the engine running when you are winching or youíll put a really big strain on your battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1325141)
Holy crap! Yes, that would be fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1325141)

You're obviously a magician . . .

I'm going to have to study that for awhile and see what questions come up. Based on JK'n's comments, the best play might be to wire the winch direct to the battery as a sort of "test" run, and then look at both of your comments and that thread again with the goal of making follow up questions.

No doubt. It looks like I've got at least two folks here that can do it. Now let me go see if I can make any sense out of Joe's stuff . . .

Thanks - just had the time and patience to do it the right way this time (canít say Iíve always been as careful wiring a vehicle).

Sure, wire the winch directly at first - I did the same thing. I didnít setup my auxiliary circuit for over a year after I installed the winch. When you wire the winch just donít cut any of the wires - leave them long because you wonít be sure if youíll need to change things up a bit when you add your circuit.