Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Smittybilt Winches? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/smittybilt-winches-9942.html)

blownfanswitch 07-27-2007 12:48 PM

Smittybilt Winches?

Any comments?

ookxtreme 07-27-2007 12:53 PM

i'm going to keep an eye on this thread... the 8000lb is going for $300... and figured i'd use it about 5,6 or 8 times a year for little old ladies in the winter and some wheeling... but figured that would be a good inexpensive one for the money.... heck save $600 over the "big boy" ones.... sorry i can't give you advice......

CHEERS!!

blownfanswitch 07-27-2007 12:57 PM

I'm asking for the same reason....I don't do rock crawling or anything, but I like to ride mild to moderate trails and mud and i saw the 299 deal on 4wd and hadn't ever seen a smittybilt winch...

ookxtreme 07-27-2007 01:01 PM

ya know i had a chicago electric 9000lb one form harbor freight i bought for an old islander i had about 4 years ago ... i bought it at a "sidewalk sale" for $249!! i thought it was great!! it worked for what i needed it for... now since i got the tj a couple of weeks ago that same one is $500!!... so i am thinking hard about this smittybilt... even if it gets bashed in this thread... it's got to be better than block and tackle and a com-a-long!!!

CHEERS TO INEXPENSIVE OPTIONS THAT WORK FOR WHAT I NEED IT FOR!! bang-for-the-buck!!

blownfanswitch 07-27-2007 01:08 PM

I just called 4wd and I got the rep and all she could say was that they were made by mile marker

ookxtreme 07-27-2007 01:17 PM

did she say when the sale ends? it's got to be fine for my needs.... add a snatch block and it will give even better pull....

wasn't planning on it... but i may have to warm the card up!!

CHEERS!!

ps. my new front and rear bumper are going on tomorrow (getting them lineX'd) and the front bumper will be lonely with no winch right? ...LOL

2much 07-27-2007 01:21 PM

I don't know too much about smittybilt, or mile marker, but I do know the old saying " An expensive winch is better than a cheap winch, but a cheap winch is better than no winch."

1BLKJP 07-27-2007 03:58 PM

Those winches are permanent magnet motors. Meaning everytime you use it, it will get a little weaker. Preferred is the Series Wound motors that Warn, Superwinch etc... use.

That being said 300 bucks is a helluva lot better than 950 for the warns. I run a Warn 9000i and love it, but agree that having some sort of winch now at 300 bucks is better than waiting a year and wheeling with no winch later.

EnigmaMan 07-27-2007 04:14 PM

10,000 lb. Winch Kit w/ Mounting Kit Part#16804 $366.24!

Just as a heads up Over @ sams club (shocking I know)
They have winches for sale that are $366.24

It comes w/ all of the crap that you need, mounting plate, controls, wires etc etc.

It is a 10,000 lb. Winch Kit w/ Mounting Kit Part#16804

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/...8210586_LG.jpg

its not available online so you have to go to the store to buy it. That is a pretty good deal and @ 10,000lbs of pulling power it should get you unstuck in just about any situation (including climbimg a 50 cliff lol)

ookxtreme 07-27-2007 10:35 PM

enigmaman

ya that seems like a good deal... good "impulse buy" i'll check it out at the local sams!! but for $300 for the smitty.. it's tough to beat!!

i'll look at sams and go from there i guess...

CHEERS!!

Redrubicon2004 07-27-2007 11:13 PM

I went to 4wheel parts about a month and a half ago, and asked about the smittybilt winch. I was told "They are on a huge back order, I have never seen one, and it seems like they may not even be stocking them yet. It may be over a year before they are readily avalible."

But if they do become avalible, I am going to buy one for my fiance's jeep....Mine has a 3 year old used and abused warn, it still works just as good as it did on day one!

GrnTJ 07-28-2007 12:46 AM

X2 on the Warn. Those things are deff. built to last. But I think you kinda pay for the name a bit too.

RIPBiker13 07-28-2007 12:50 AM

Yeah, I'm looking at Warn and they last forever, but they cost a mint. Look at it like this...

You spend $300 and if it stops working after 2 or 3 years, what have you really lost? Calling a wrecker a couple times costs more than that. I'd say just go for it, sounds cool.

AzTJ 07-28-2007 03:35 AM

just remember, your gonna need a mounting plate wish costs ~$150

4Jeepn 07-28-2007 06:13 AM

So here is the question: So when you are winching your jeep up a 75 foot hill side with your family in it, do you want to be thinking about how good a deal you got on the winch and in the back of your mind hoping it does not die atthat moment or would you rather have paid more for the most likey better winch and thinking hey, once we get to the top of the hill its lunch time!

GrnTJ 07-28-2007 08:07 AM

^^ Thats pretty funny but its a great point too!

Redrubicon2004 07-28-2007 09:49 AM

Keep an eye out for the warn M8000, I see it on sale for $450-$500 all the time.

An extra $150 for a big red W on it is worth it to me.

GrnTJ 07-28-2007 09:54 AM

Thats what I run and I gotta tell you, that thing is a complete work horse! I love that winch very very much. I had a Tabor 9K before that and it did its job but it had a very slow line speed and every once in a while it blew my alternator fuse because of the amount of amps it drew. With my M8000 the line speed is nearly double that of the 9K and it just seems like a far more reliable winch. Not to mention it draws way less amps or somethin because my voltometer never drops below 13 when Im winchin with it, even on long cycles. Its a great deal for that winch if you can get it for about $500.

EnigmaMan 07-28-2007 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=4Jeepn;110204]So here is the question: So when you are winching your jeep up a 75 foot hill side with your family in it, do you want to be thinking about how good a deal you got on the winch and in the back of your mind hoping it does not die atthat moment or would you rather have paid more for the most likey better winch and thinking hey, once we get to the top of the hill its lunch time!QUOTE]

If you get stuck w/ a your entire family in the jeep, thats just extra hands to help push :-) j/k

I was surprised with that winch from Sams as it included a mounting plate as well. Also since its a little bigger winch you will be less likely to beat it up as hard.

RIPBiker13 07-28-2007 01:22 PM

I'm going to spend the extra cash and drop it on the Warn. The name is famous for a reason, they work. I don't take chances w/ the family in the rig.

AzTJ 07-28-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 110163)
So here is the question: So when you are winching your jeep up a 75 foot hill side with your family in it...

Or you can avoid those kinds of situations all together and save yourself $500 :D

RIPBiker13 07-28-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 110272)
Or you can avoid those kinds of situations all together and save yourself $500 :D

You and I BOTH know no one will ever do that. What fun would that be!? :chair:

1BLKJP 07-28-2007 02:25 PM

Fella's I used to be the same way. I was bugging Joe about this winch and that winch because they were great deals. He showed me all of the parts for a Warn that he could get for me in less than a day if we ever needed them. He reminded me that ever rig he's ever had used a Warn winch. He reminded me that he also never got any of them for free as a shop owner and so he put his own money in Warn's hands. I finally got the point and actually found a sick deal on an 9000i on Ebay with rope instead of cable for 525 shipped to me. So just remember that Warn not only has the name, but it has the reliabilty and service of the company to back it up. I know guys that have ran 8274's for more than 10 years without a problem at all.

Tj Bunch 07-28-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrubicon2004 (Post 110099)
I went to 4wheel parts about a month and a half ago, and asked about the smittybilt winch. I was told "They are on a huge back order, I have never seen one, and it seems like they may not even be stocking them yet. It may be over a year before they are readily avalible."

But if they do become avalible, I am going to buy one for my fiance's jeep....Mine has a 3 year old used and abused warn, it still works just as good as it did on day one!

Everything from Smittybuilt is on Back order I tried to get a bumper in January and am still waiting, i bought somthing else instead but man those Guys are Slow at getting stuff in. Thay just made the Fresno store alot smaller like an Old sears Catalog Showroom Nothing in stock but you can order from our Vast Catalog sir.....:confused:

AzTJ 07-28-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 110283)
actually found a sick deal on an 9000i on Ebay with rope instead of cable for 525 shipped to me.

Did you buy it used or new and from who?

1BLKJP 07-28-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 110288)
Did you buy it used or new and from who?

Yeah, it was used however when we went thru it after I got it there hadn't been much use at all. It was just some random guy in Pennsylvania that had it listed on an auction. 9000i with rope for 500 Buy it Now. I didn't even mess with the auction and just hit the Buy It Now. Didn't need to see if I could get it for a better deal, it was good enough for me since I was looking for a winch anyway. $25 for shipping and it was at my door a couple weeks later.

tlucier 07-28-2007 04:26 PM

Hey guys! Newb here with a question. I was thinking about getting a Warn XD9000i and then I saw the Warn M8000 for $440 less than the 9000. So for you experienced winchers out there, (1) for an 01 TJ that sees woods, trails, some mud, and mild rock is the extra 1000 LB capacity worth the extra cost? (2) is the extra 24 feet of cable worth the extra cost?

What's the general consensus of M8000 vs XD9000i? I'm in the camp of pay for the W and put your mind at ease while wheeling!

4Jeepn 07-28-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 110272)

Unlike scout I don't wheel at JC Penny's :D

Texapple 07-28-2007 05:36 PM

My new Smittybilt is in the box waiting to be mounted. :D No problems ordering & recieving from 4 Wheel Drive Hardware a few weeks ago.

Frank has a big Warn on the front of his and since we're usually together, I couldn't see spending all that money on another one at this time

debruins 07-28-2007 06:48 PM

personally i would just get the M8000, because your jeep only weighs oh about 3ooo#'s, lets say we double that b/c of mud, thats still only 6ooo#'s, the extra 24 ft sound nice, but remember as you puul out line the winching capacity becomes lower, so off the first 25 feet you ge the full 8000# pulling capacity but by the time you get to the last wrap you're down to like 3000#'s so the extra 24 ft doesnt mean anything, heck if your worried about the length of the line, buy a synth line that is the same length and kill two birds withn one stone

so in summarizing that get the M8000 and get a synthetic line with the money you save, it will be way safer and last longer