Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Dana 44 vs Dana 30 axle (picture) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dana-44-vs-dana-30-axle-picture-99437.html)

ed0985587 06-23-2011 04:25 AM

Dana 44 vs Dana 30 axle (picture)
 
Just in case you are a noobie like me and were wondering what the Dana 44 vs the Dana 30 stock axles look like in comparison I figured I would throw this up here since I found it while browsing and researching.

FYI the way I understand it JK comes with the Dana 44 stock in the rear and the Dana 30 stock in the front. Anyways I found this picture to be an excellent example and figured I would share:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/30108...30_pinions.jpg

ed0985587 06-23-2011 04:29 AM

I will also throw this link up here as well as it has a general rundown of the stock axles and also some information on how to strengthen your stock axles in a cost efficient way (in-case anyone is interested and trying to research like I am):

Making Stock Dana 30 Axles Survive - Four Wheeler Magazine

TheDoc 06-23-2011 06:51 AM

Thanks for the link good information there for do it yourselfers

Irongrave 06-23-2011 06:52 AM

the ring gear and pinon may be bigger but both the D44 and D30 have the same Achilles heal, weak ass hell ears on the axle shafts and the same u-joints

razor2006 06-23-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irongrave (Post 1325461)
the ring gear and pinon may be bigger but both the D44 and D30 have the same Achilles heal, weak ass hell ears on the axle shafts and the same u-joints

+1 I watched a guy snap the top ear completely off on the front drivers side on his on his TJ a few months ago.

trailrunner 06-23-2011 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info

DesertRatAFG 03-27-2014 03:08 PM

What are the other better options for gears and manufacturers that are better quality. I am wanting to upgrade to 4.56 gearing's and want to upgrade my Dana 30 front to Dana 44 or better since I'm going all out to make it completely right. I do moderate trail riding and want it more robust for long weekend camping and short expedition trips. I'm putting in a 2.5" Teraflex lift and want the gearing best suited for 35"s.

lee indy 03-27-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irongrave (Post 1325461)
the ring gear and pinon may be bigger but both the D44 and D30 have the same Achilles heal, weak ass hell ears on the axle shafts and the same u-joints

problem solved. :mooning:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...3-09132148.jpg

44 is a great axle

Strommen95 03-27-2014 03:27 PM

What are the benefits of the Dana 44 Axle compared to the 30 Axle? I'm assuming it's better for off-roading?

i82much 03-27-2014 03:44 PM

21 Attachment(s)
Just remember the pinion size changes with the count of the gear teeth as well, are those pinions from the same vehicle?

Commander 800XT 03-27-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irongrave (Post 1325461)
the ring gear and pinon may be bigger but both the D44 and D30 have the same Achilles heal, weak ass hell ears on the axle shafts and the same u-joints

Are you talking about when doing serious off roading/rock crawling. Or just in general.

JerryJeepster 03-27-2014 04:26 PM

While researching my axle swap I found the tereflex 44 is quite beefy and not a bad price for what you get. If you go with a stock 44 you would want to sleeve and gusset it. I'm no expert it's just what I've learned from here and fellow jeep peeps. Spend the money once and do it right.

Swadehead 01-31-2017 08:12 AM

I realize this is a very old thread, but here is some more info for anyone that might be looking into this...

Dana 30 vs Dana 44: Whats The Difference?

bouche03 01-31-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor2006 (Post 1327011)
+1 I watched a guy snap the top ear completely off on the front drivers side on his on his TJ a few months ago.

The end forgings, outer C's (or "ears" as some of you have called them) are not the same on the JK housings as they were on the notoriously weaker TJ housings. There is a massive amount of information on this topic online, but the JK D44 and D30 housing share externally everything from the pumpkin on out. The main differences between the two are the size of the pumpkin (differential), and internally, the ring gear diameter, the size of the pinions, an additionally, the actual axle shafts are larger in the front JK 44 vs. the 30. Still much to be desired vs. a quality aftermarket housing such as the Dynatrac PR44 and the like.

mommymallcrawler 01-31-2017 09:08 AM

The biggest bonus of the 44 is the larger ring and pinion and splines in the axle shaft. Note that a Rubicon 44 is different than the rear 44 on non-Rubicon, a non-Rubicon rear is only 30 spline outer, Rubicon is 32. The rest of the stuff you truss for. The stock Rubicon 44 is no whimpy axle by any means when properly built.

When running big tires, the larger ring and pinion allows you to gear lower without getting tiny.

You can eliminate ujoints from the axle shafts - RCVs.

JTPhoto JK 01-31-2017 01:20 PM

The Rubi axles and non Rubi axles are the same strength same diameter. The 2 splines make no difference there. Its more likely the manufacturer did this to prevent trying to use a rubi axle in a non Rubi diff or visa versa due to the fact the axles are slightly different lengths..

Tweak 01-31-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK (Post 28843178)
The Rubi axles and non Rubi axles are the same strength same diameter. The 2 splines make no difference there. Its more likely the manufacturer did this to prevent trying to use a rubi axle in a non Rubi diff or visa versa due to the fact the axles are slightly different lengths..

32 spline refers to the spline count which loosely translates to the diameter of the axle shaft. 30 spline will always be a smaller shaft diameter than a larger number. 32 spline will be stronger by a small margin.

That being said, a dana 44's (or 30 for that matter) weak link is rarely the axle shaft. It's almost always the housing or the gearset. Dana 60's came with 30 spline.

SoK66 02-01-2017 07:59 AM

If you're going to bump up to a Dana 44, don't waste your time & money with the Rubicon housing. Because there weren't many replacement housings available in '09 I ended op spending quite a bit of money on the stock D44 housing. In the end, despite being sleeved & gusseted it still bent. Had I to do it again I would just get an aftermarket housing as I have now (Teraflex R44) and be done with it.




Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

dvn4life1972 02-01-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 28849234)
32 spline refers to the spline count which loosely translates to the diameter of the axle shaft. 30 spline will always be a smaller shaft diameter than a larger number. 32 spline will be stronger by a small margin.

That being said, a dana 44's (or 30 for that matter) weak link is rarely the axle shaft. It's almost always the housing or the gearset. Dana 60's came with 30 spline.

The article referenced a few posts above incorrectly states that the housing itself doesn't matter. It does. I believe this is what Tweak is saying here. The housing on the D30 deflects under load more so than the D44, and the D44 more so than the D60 (the 60 is a lot beefier in all respects there).

And, FWIW, it doesn't take many splines to increase strength a decent amount. The added splines don't change the actual O.D. of the end of the shaft, rather they provide more surface area for engagement, which in turn increases the strength of THAT POINT on the shaft. If the rest of the shaft is still a D30, to use an old adage, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. So increasing the spline count doesn't matter unless you strengthen the rest of the axle shaft with it.

And then there's the R&P.. @Tweak show them your old R&P :D

Capt JK 02-01-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvn4life1972 (Post 28852274)
The article referenced a few posts above incorrectly states that the housing itself doesn't matter. It does. I believe this is what Tweak is saying here. The housing on the D30 deflects under load more so than the D44, and the D44 more so than the D60 (the 60 is a lot beefier in all respects there).

And, FWIW, it doesn't take many splines to increase strength a decent amount. The added splines don't change the actual O.D. of the end of the shaft, rather they provide more surface area for engagement, which in turn increases the strength of THAT POINT on the shaft. If the rest of the shaft is still a D30, to use an old adage, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. So increasing the spline count doesn't matter unless you strengthen the rest of the axle shaft with it.

And then there's the R&P.. @Tweak show them your old R&P :D


So what you just said.. If you want to do it right! Go with the D60?.. Pretty much what i get

dvn4life1972 02-01-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt JK (Post 28852466)
So what you just said.. If you want to do it right! Go with the D60?.. Pretty much what i get

No, just saying the D60 - from the 3 choices of a D30, D44, and D60, is the winner. Mostly just talking about some stuff I saw in the latter article that aren't really correct.

As far as which axle is best, that depends on many factors, including planned usage.

SoDakSooner 02-01-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRatAFG (Post 9392338)
What are the other better options for gears and manufacturers that are better quality. I am wanting to upgrade to 4.56 gearing's and want to upgrade my Dana 30 front to Dana 44 or better since I'm going all out to make it completely right. I do moderate trail riding and want it more robust for long weekend camping and short expedition trips. I'm putting in a 2.5" Teraflex lift and want the gearing best suited for 35"s.

If your MO is camping and trail riding, don't sweat the Dana 30. They don't just explode if you get dirt on them. If you stick with a reasonable gear ratio (4.56 or 4.88) for what you stated you do, no need to spend $4 or $5k on an axle(unless you just want to)

I trussed and gusseted my dana 30, went with 4.56, and I did lock it(against a lot of advice here). I have $1300 or $1400 in my axle(not counting ball joints) and I rock crawl some and do what you want to do.

If you go higher than 4.88 the pinion gets too small from what I have researched.

Oh shoot, it is an old thread, guess I answered a question from 3 years ago...Dangit.

TerryC6 02-01-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 28852026)
If you're going to bump up to a Dana 44, don't waste your time & money with the Rubicon housing. Because there weren't many replacement housings available in '09 I ended op spending quite a bit of money on the stock D44 housing. In the end, despite being sleeved & gusseted it still bent. Had I to do it again I would just get an aftermarket housing as I have now (Teraflex R44) and be done with it.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sleeving the axle tubes will not do much to improve resistance to bending. It is a great addition when looking to add armor to an axle though. You need to truss & gusset to really increase the strength. A properly trussed and gusseted stock axle will be stronger than any of the aftermarket offering unless you are thinking about a D60. Of course you can truss and gusset the aftermarket offerings and make them stronger to. The down side to modding the stock axle housing is you still stuck with crappy castor to pinion angle which is corrected in the aftermarket offerings.

mommymallcrawler 02-01-2017 03:46 PM

My entry into the great axle debate.

Buy what you need, build it to do what you need it to do. If it breaks, fix it or replace it. A D30 isn't the kiss of death, a D60 is not the axle of world salvation. Pros, cons, expense to each. Everything has a "horsepower hour". You reach it, it's done.

98% of the folks here in WF are probably just fine on a D30 provided they don't go throwing too big a tire and too low a gearset into it and laying low on the skinny pedal. Reinforce it, wheel it, know your limits.

Or just stretch a two door to about 110". Toss Rockwell axles under it. So long as the Jeep doesn't tear itself apart into a billion pieces from the sheer weight of the axles - you should be good for a while and can probably run over just about everything, including a few D60s.

And at minimum, just be thankful whatever axle you have isn't a TJ D35. *snort*

And always keep in mind when dealing with highly modified vehicles. Every single part on your Jeep was engineered assuming a Jeep on stock tires. Replacing an Axle or gearset or whatever alone doesn't change that. Things will break. The bigger you go, the bigger they break. The bigger you go, the more things need to be replaced. Know your limitations, and be ready to pony up the cash for upgrades and repairs if you exceed them.

And that's pretty much it.

ohioviper 02-01-2017 05:12 PM

The D30 and D44 housings on a JK are the same other than the center section. If you bend a D30 you would have bent a D44.

Tweak 02-01-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvn4life1972 (Post 28852274)
The article referenced a few posts above incorrectly states that the housing itself doesn't matter. It does. I believe this is what Tweak is saying here. The housing on the D30 deflects under load more so than the D44, and the D44 more so than the D60 (the 60 is a lot beefier in all respects there).

And, FWIW, it doesn't take many splines to increase strength a decent amount. The added splines don't change the actual O.D. of the end of the shaft, rather they provide more surface area for engagement, which in turn increases the strength of THAT POINT on the shaft. If the rest of the shaft is still a D30, to use an old adage, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. So increasing the spline count doesn't matter unless you strengthen the rest of the axle shaft with it.

And then there's the R&P.. @Tweak show them your old R&P :D

It's still 50% good
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6921f68b.jpg

dvn4life1972 02-01-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 28860034)

:lmao:

RichL35 02-01-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK (Post 28843178)
The Rubi axles and non Rubi axles are the same strength same diameter. The 2 splines make no difference there. Its more likely the manufacturer did this to prevent trying to use a rubi axle in a non Rubi diff or visa versa due to the fact the axles are slightly different lengths..

When I ordered my 35 spline ARB and chrome-moly axles for my 44 I was told each spline equals roughly an 11% increase in axle strength. And yes... the 35 spline axle was bigger than the 30 spline stock axles were.

Old Dogger 02-01-2017 10:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A old Thread brought back from the grave..lol

Attachment 3438402

^^^Here you go, 44, verses 30.

Attachment 3438410Attachment 3438418

^^^And they just keep getting bigger. 44, 60, 80.

Capt JK 02-01-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dogger (Post 28862250)
A old Thread brought back from the grave..lol

Attachment 3438402

^^^Here you go, 44, verses 30.

Attachment 3438410Attachment 3438418

^^^And they just keep getting bigger. 44, 60, 80.

How many of you have broke a D80 or even a D60?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.