CAN Failure ! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JL Jeep Wrangler Forum > JL Wrangler Technical Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 861
  • 2 Post By 99GoldenSahara
  • 1 Post By JeepCares
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
861
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
CAN Failure !

Very serious failure
could have been deadly if I had been on a winding mountain road or on a busy high speed freeway
fortunately I was pulling in a parking lot when it died
lost all control

engine shut down

no power steering
only E brake
dash and lights flashing wipers started going
CAN is Controller Area Network
everything is run on a network


turned off let it sit and it restarted (reboot?)
check engine light on

drove to a local auto parts borrowed scanner
code 0001 CAN failure
drove to nearest dealership
couldn't leave vehicle convinced them to at least clear code so I could go home 90 miles away
drove home no further problem


anyone else have this problem

new 2019 JLU 1700 miles 2 months old

baldguy likes this.
861 is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Maddogmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 69
I have been having a situation but have yet to catch it visually to confirm it. as I am driving something draws my eye back in " peripheral vision " It seems my instruments go blank ever so quickly or my Uconnect blinks out . I have seen the Uconnect do it but I think my instruments do it. I am keeping an eye on this as I think its related to your issue.

Following.

__________________
2019 JLU Rubi Firecracker Red
Running with scissors since 1965
Maddogmech is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
861
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Can Failure !

be very careful and aware you could lose all control at any time
I will be going to the dealer today and demanding action
861 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
99GoldenSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 815
Do you both have 2019 JLUR’s? The reason I ask is that it is occurring to me that though I had some minor issues with my early release 2018 JLUR the longer FCA is building these rigs the worse they seem to be at it. Now to the point, that someone in some level of authority needs to get involved. The issues being revealed by later JL owners are pretty scary and leave buyers who shelled out big bucks with no confidence. Hell not even the dealers know what’s going on. I hope there’s a real fix for what you’re experiencing. Sorry you have to go through this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baldguy and Maddogmech like this.
99GoldenSahara is offline   Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Maddogmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 69
I have a 2019 JLUR I have not experienced a failure yet but again this has made me hyper aware as I mentioned I have seen my Uconnect blank out momentarily and I think my dash gauges do as well but have not actually seen it, only a flashing that draws my eye back down to the dash. I have not had the vehicle stop on me or throw any codes but at this point I am looking for it.
__________________
2019 JLU Rubi Firecracker Red
Running with scissors since 1965
Maddogmech is offline   Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mopar World Headquarters, Center Line, MI
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by 861 View Post
be very careful and aware you could lose all control at any time
I will be going to the dealer today and demanding action
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoldenSahara View Post
Do you both have 2019 JLUR’s? The reason I ask is that it is occurring to me that though I had some minor issues with my early release 2018 JLUR the longer FCA is building these rigs the worse they seem to be at it. Now to the point, that someone in some level of authority needs to get involved. The issues being revealed by later JL owners are pretty scary and leave buyers who shelled out big bucks with no confidence. Hell not even the dealers know what’s going on. I hope there’s a real fix for what you’re experiencing. Sorry you have to go through this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogmech View Post
I have a 2019 JLUR I have not experienced a failure yet but again this has made me hyper aware as I mentioned I have seen my Uconnect blank out momentarily and I think my dash gauges do as well but have not actually seen it, only a flashing that draws my eye back down to the dash. I have not had the vehicle stop on me or throw any codes but at this point I am looking for it.
Hello 861,
We are sorry to hear of this concern. Please let us know how your dealership visit goes. If you need an additional layer of assistance, send us a private message.

Hi 99GoldenSahara and Maddogmech,
We understand your frustration and concern. If you decide to move forward with a dealership appointment and would like additional assistance, please send us a private message.

Jenn
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is online now   Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Maddogmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hello 861,
We are sorry to hear of this concern. Please let us know how your dealership visit goes. If you need an additional layer of assistance, send us a private message.

Hi 99GoldenSahara and Maddogmech,
We understand your frustration and concern. If you decide to move forward with a dealership appointment and would like additional assistance, please send us a private message.

Jenn
Jeep Social Care Specialist

Thank you for reaching out. At this point I am trying to determine if I have this issues but I most certainly will contact you once I validate the issue.
This may not be much help but in my line of work knowing the production dates can often help isolate a issue. My build date is 4/19
__________________
2019 JLU Rubi Firecracker Red
Running with scissors since 1965
Maddogmech is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mopar World Headquarters, Center Line, MI
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogmech View Post
Thank you for reaching out. At this point I am trying to determine if I have this issues but I most certainly will contact you once I validate the issue.
This may not be much help but in my line of work knowing the production dates can often help isolate a issue. My build date is 4/19
Sounds good, Maddogmech. Our team is only a private message away if you would like any additional assistance.

Jenn
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is online now   Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
FLEX B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast, NJ - FL.
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Sounds good, Maddogmech. Our team is only a private message away if you would like any additional assistance.

Jenn
Jeep Social Care Specialist

Hello, Jenn.


Now that you've concluded that.. can you take a look at my most recent post in regards to thread;


JK Hood Flutter Issue: Reports Of Hood Latch Failures On 2017 Wranglers


And let me know what you think?

Thank you,


Jeff B.
__________________
Current rig: 2016 JK U R H R *Alter Ego* - Building
Previous: 2000 TJ *Bish* lost 4k after rollover/ 2001 XJ (parts Jeep and sold it for more then purchased) / 1997 TJ - Sold for more than I had in it /1994 YJ - kept it for 3 months - not my thing - broke even / 1987 XJ - bought it, fixed it and sold for more than I had in it / 1963 CJ - 1st Jeep - sold it for more than I had in it...
FLEX B is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mopar World Headquarters, Center Line, MI
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX B View Post
Hello, Jenn.


Now that you've concluded that.. can you take a look at my most recent post in regards to thread;


JK Hood Flutter Issue: Reports Of Hood Latch Failures On 2017 Wranglers


And let me know what you think?

Thank you,


Jeff B.


Hi Jeff,
I have had the chance to read your posts on the Hood Flutter Issue: Reports Of Hood Latch Failures On 2017 Wranglers thread. I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing this. Can you please send me a private message with more details of your experience? From there, I can better assist.
Jenn
Jeep Social Care Specialist
FLEX B likes this.
JeepCares is online now   Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #11
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,790
Subscribed. This sounds very serious. This type of issue can be a nightmare. Hopefully you get lucky and find a dealership with a really good technician. Good luck!!
__________________
1988 E-150 4.9L 5 Speed Stick
2008 Jeep Liberty Auto Trans
2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock Auto Trans

God Bless Our Troops
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 5,370
Most vehicles that have power brakes still have brakes if they lose the power assist, you just have to press much harder than brakes without power assist. I have never heard of one that in fact had no brakes although someone not aware of the fact could think so because of the pedal pressure required to stop.

Same thing with power steering. Earlier this month I had the chance to drive a '46 CJ-2A with a friend. We just went around the parking lot because of the lack of a plate, but of course the steering was very hard (power steering was all but unheard of when it was built). My friend commented "that's the reason it has such a large steering wheel" and that is very true.

In the same vein, I have never encountered a vehicle with power steering that in fact had "no" steering when the power boost was lost. I would be surprised if the JL did not have some steering, no matter how hard, when the electric boost was lost. It would be easy to check, simply look to see if the steering wheel has a physical connection to the steering gear box.

Another test would be to get in the vehicle and see if you can turn the wheels without starting the engine. It will be very hard to turn the wheels, but it should be able to be done.
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #13
Newb
 
Top-Shelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11
.

Any update here? Sounds pretty bad...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Top-Shelf is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC