10-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Hello from AZ, Future JKU Owner
Hey Everyone, my name is Mike and I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. I don't own a Jeep YET, but I have my dealer looking for one with the options I want as we speak. I've been searching around this board for a while, and have done a couple of test drives as well. I'm completely sold on the Jeep as my next ride.
Currently in a 2011 Frontier Crew Cab 2WD. I had the truck for work purposes. I'm a salesman for a large electrical distributor, and I make a lot of deliveries for my customers. My company would give me a monthly reimbursement for using my fronty, but now they are giving me a brand new Silverado and they're paying for everything!!
Since I don't have to worry about fuel economy and payload capacity, I will be getting myself a fun weekend vehicle for the family. My wife has a 2013 Durango, and ever since we went to the dealership to buy her SUV a couple years ago, I've been eyeing the JK.
What I have my dealer looking for is the following:
2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon in Anvil
- 5-Speed Auto
- 3.73 Gears
- Max Tow Package
- Connectivity Group
- Freedom 3-Piece Hardtop (Not sure if I want to do black or color match)
- 430N Navigation Radio
- Air Conditioning w/ Auto Controls
- Freedom Hard Top Headliner
- Remote Start
So with the above, I was hoping for some input before I pull the final trigger.
I plan to use this vehicle on the weekends for running around with the family, and take trips into northern AZ. I definitely plan on getting it dirty and doing some trails, but I don't see myself climbing any "rock walls". I've never been one to leave my vehicles stock, so I can definitely see myself putting wheels and tires (like or 33" or 35" tire) on it, some light bars, bumpers front and rear, and some other goodies.
1. Will I be sacrificing much going with the 3.73 instead of the 4.10? I will probably pull a small trailer once in a while (quads and dirt bikes).
2. If I went with a Sahara instead of a Rubicon, will I be sacrificing much off-road capability?
3. Command-Trac vs. Rock-Trac?
4. With the Sahara, would you recommend the Trac-Lock differential?
5. How well do the body color fenders and roof hold-up? I wouldn't be driving through a lot of brush if any, but I'm not completely sold on the unfinished black.
I'm of the mindset that I'd rather have something, then not have something. This has me leaning towards the Rubicon. I don't think the wife would care to much for the ruggedness of the Rubicon; she may lean towards the Sahara. I think I can solve that with switching from the aggressive treads on the OEM tires to say a Nitto Terra Grappler.
Sorry for the ridiculously long first post. Any insight is helpful.