In the process of buying this JK and need help! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Community Forums > WF New Member Check In

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KeroJK
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
In the process of buying this JK and need help!

Today I put a down payment on a 2007 JK X with 103k on it. the cars exterior and interior are mint. drives nice with nothing sticking out or alerting me. has a hard top, very stock for right now. it's priced at 12 and I got it for 11. everything works and i checked it all. only thing that does jot work is the middle hood latch thing but no biggy. I asked a friend of mine that use to be an auto appraiser and he said that the rust on the car is perfectly fine and normal for a car that old and that It should not be a deal breaker. I'm looking for multiple opinions here so I don't make a mistake. it's in mass and the roads get very salty here. has mint car fax and 36 service history records. everything done at jeep including simple stuff like wipers. any advice helps. here goes for the pics:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_165415_1512338177918.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	3841297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_165330_1512338199790.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	3841305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_165302_1512338279323.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	3841313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_165241_1512338298991.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	3841321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_165156_1512338331103.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	3841329  
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #2
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
Today I put a down payment on a 2007 JK X with 103k on it. the cars exterior and interior are mint. drives nice with nothing sticking out or alerting me. has a hard top, very stock for right now. it's priced at 12 and I got it for 11. everything works and i checked it all. only thing that does jot work is the middle hood latch thing but no biggy. I asked a friend of mine that use to be an auto appraiser and he said that the rust on the car is perfectly fine and normal for a car that old and that It should not be a deal breaker. I'm looking for multiple opinions here so I don't make a mistake. it's in mass and the roads get very salty here. has mint car fax and 36 service history records. everything done at jeep including simple stuff like wipers. any advice helps. here goes for the pics:
more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_132814_1512339038427.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	3841393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121234_1512339081218.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	3841401  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121225_1512339121791.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	3841409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121219_1512339159439.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	3841417  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121206_1512339276660.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	3841425  

KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
sorry for so many pictures but I thought I would go the extra mile so I don't get a bad jeep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121204_1512339345582.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	3841433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121202_1512339387047.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	3841441  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121201_1512339431062.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	3841449   Click image for larger version

Name:	1673_1512325767304_1512339513265.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	3841457  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1669_1512325765742_1512339571653.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	3841465  
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,795
I feel your pain in this. Also from Mass and it took me 4 months of searching to find my Jeep. A 2010 JK 2dr Sport with 60,000 miles. I bought it in September of 2015 for $18,000 from First Jeep in Attleboro. It was the first Jeep I could find under $20,000 around 60,000 mi. Mine was completely stock when I bought it. I was blown away at what these things went for!

I hate buying anything with that kind of mileage on it but the price seems right for around here. I will warn you of this... Watch your oil consumption! You will go through oil about 1qt every 1000mi or so with the 3.8L. Jeep stated that it is normal consumption to use up to 1 qt every 800mi. I call BS but that's what they say. Mine uses 1qt every 1500 mi at 85,000 mi.

The rust looks typical for the miles also. A couple hours with a wire wheel and a can of satin black VHT chassis paint and your good to go.
__________________
What have I been up to with my Jeep NEMESIS...? Follow along here to see!

NEMESIS JEEP BUILD
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121114_1512339658715.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	3841473   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121031_1512339812142.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	3841481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121153_1512339893565.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	3841489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121202_1512340021664.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	3841497  

KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
I feel your pain in this. Also from Mass and it took me 4 months of searching to find my Jeep. A 2010 JK 2dr Sport with 60,000 miles. I bought it in September of 2015 for $18,000 from First Jeep in Attleboro. It was the first Jeep I could find under $20,000 around 60,000 mi. Mine was completely stock when I bought it. I was blown away at what these things went for!

I hate buying anything with that kind of mileage on it but the price seems right for around here. I will warn you of this... Watch your oil consumption! You will go through oil about 1qt every 1000mi or so with the 3.8L. Jeep stated that it is normal consumption to use up to 1 qt every 800mi. I call BS but that's what they say. Mine uses 1qt every 1500 mi at 85,000 mi.
thank you so much for the reply and so you just top off the oil? And I read about that a ton actually. also let me know what you think of the pics
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
thank you so much for the reply and so you just top off the oil? And I read about that a ton actually. also let me know what you think of the pics
Pics look normal for around here. I had a little rust on mine too but got under there with a 4-1/2" grinder with a wire wheel on it and cleaned it all up. Some VHT chassis enamel satin black and 2 years later still looks new. I don't see anything that looks bad..
__________________
What have I been up to with my Jeep NEMESIS...? Follow along here to see!

NEMESIS JEEP BUILD
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
thank you so much for the reply and so you just top off the oil? And I read about that a ton actually. also let me know what you think of the pics
Pics look normal for around here. I had a little rust on mine too but got under there with a 4-1/2" grinder with a wire wheel on it and cleaned it all up. Some VHT chassis enamel satin black and 2 years later still looks new. I don't see anything that looks bad..
thank you so much man. this reassures me for sure and I was thinking of going under and cleaning mine before the winter too. do you think it's worth for mine?
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
thank you so much man. this reassures me for sure and I was thinking of going under and cleaning mine before the winter too. do you think it's worth for mine?
Absolutely! Take care of it now before it gets bad and becomes a much bigger job.
__________________
What have I been up to with my Jeep NEMESIS...? Follow along here to see!

NEMESIS JEEP BUILD
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
thank you so much man. this reassures me for sure and I was thinking of going under and cleaning mine before the winter too. do you think it's worth for mine?
Absolutely! Take care of it now before it gets bad and becomes a much bigger job.

sir yes sir! alright man thank you so much for your help. this is my 2nd ever car and I'm 19 so I don't wanna screw up hahaha.
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
sir yes sir! alright man thank you so much for your help. this is my 2nd ever car and I'm 19 so I don't wanna screw up hahaha.
Well have a blast with it! If your near the South Shore there are some great groups locally that get together for different events through the year. I hit a bunch of them. Look up Jeep runs 4 fun on Facebook.
__________________
What have I been up to with my Jeep NEMESIS...? Follow along here to see!

NEMESIS JEEP BUILD
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
sir yes sir! alright man thank you so much for your help. this is my 2nd ever car and I'm 19 so I don't wanna screw up hahaha.
Well have a blast with it! If your near the South Shore there are some great groups locally that get together for different events through the year. I hit a bunch of them. Look up Jeep runs 4 fun on Facebook.
dude I sure will. and im so down for stuff like that, can't wait!! thank you for your help. excited to be a part of the community
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Thank you Veterans

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Administrator::
 
Beastmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Old Pubelo
Posts: 41,743
Well, I don't have anything to add to what's already been said so well.

I just wanted to stop by and say . . .

Welcome to the forum!

Click here for tips to help you use the forum



_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Beastmaster is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
MrSig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Davie, Fl
Posts: 33,798
and enjoy the forum!
__________________
07 JKUSR to see my mods or Jeep in action go to http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org,
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
MrSig is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
Well, I don't have anything to add to what's already been said so well.

I just wanted to stop by and say . . .

Welcome to the forum!

Click here for tips to help you use the forum



_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSig View Post
and enjoy the forum!
thank you so much for the kind welcomes guys!! I'm picking it up today
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tonopah AZ
Posts: 964
MY 2010 rubicon 3.8 was a great engine no oil consumption at all. as for the rust, it is what it is just think if every one drove a jeep they wouldn't need to salt the roads.
You would think after the $millions spent on rusty vehicle's some rocket scientist would come up with a cost effective, non corrosive alternative.
As to the oil consumption some 3.8's did use oil most didn't.
Those of you who live in the rust belt gather the wife and kids, plan a getaway, fly to AZ, buy a rust free jeep and drive it home.
bubbabud is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 1,453
Middle Hood latch thing?

If you're talking about the safety catch, I'd recommend getting that fixed or upgrading to more robust side latches. That's what keeps the hood from wrapping around the windshield if the rubber side latches give way at highway speed (or if you forget to re-latch them after having the hood open).
AZrat is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Thread Starter
  #18
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbabud View Post
MY 2010 rubicon 3.8 was a great engine no oil consumption at all. as for the rust, it is what it is just think if every one drove a jeep they wouldn't need to salt the roads.
You would think after the $millions spent on rusty vehicle's some rocket scientist would come up with a cost effective, non corrosive alternative.
As to the oil consumption some 3.8's did use oil most didn't.
Those of you who live in the rust belt gather the wife and kids, plan a getaway, fly to AZ, buy a rust free jeep and drive it home.
lmfaoo got no wife or kids just a girlfriend that that sounds even easier for me. looking at all of the pics. what do you think? I personally think it's good for a 100k 2007 jk in massacheusetts but let me know I heard about that but also knew that a ton of them were fine. checked the car fax and the actual oil and the car seems good in that aspect
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #19
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrat View Post
Middle Hood latch thing?

If you're talking about the safety catch, I'd recommend getting that fixed or upgrading to more robust side latches. That's what keeps the hood from wrapping around the windshield if the rubber side latches give way at highway speed (or if you forget to re-latch them after having the hood open).
will order them as soon as the car is in my garage it just doesn't have the spring. still locks in place but you got to force it so until the new latch comes in I sound be fine. pics opinion?
KeroJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wichita KS/Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 1,453
pix look fine to me. Just surface rust unless I'm missing something and well within the realm of something that can be corrected before it gets worse.

I had a 2008 and second the comment that it drank oil. Not all of them did, so maybe you'll have a different experience.

Enjoy the new ride
AZrat is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
KeroJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrat View Post
pix look fine to me. Just surface rust unless I'm missing something and well within the realm of something that can be corrected before it gets worse.

I had a 2008 and second the comment that it drank oil. Not all of them did, so maybe you'll have a different experience.

Enjoy the new ride
at the DMV getting it registered!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1512415311017657104692_1512415362966.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	3842769  
RichL35 likes this.

KeroJK is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.