Considering a JT - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JT Jeep Gladiator Forum > JT Gladiator General Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeffzjeep
  • 1 Post By aqualungs
  • 1 Post By Jeffzjeep
  • 2 Post By suffolklou
  • 2 Post By RubiGobi
  • 3 Post By RubiGobi
  • 1 Post By RubiGobi
  • 2 Post By CaptainChazz
  • 1 Post By Green_machine1
  • 1 Post By mazeppa
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Jeffzjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Considering a JT

Own a 08 JKU Rubi since new, have done the toughest trails Rubicon, Moab, Johnson Valley etc. moved to Colorado 3 yrs ago and last year considered selling JK for a JL Rubi., couldnít do it sheís a family member.
Now the Gladiator comes out my wife noticed one in the wild and loves it. Our daily beast is a 16 Dodge 3500 crew cab diesel 4x4 which now is over kill donít need the big truck anymore. Thinking of replacing truck for JT Rubi and use would be as our daily driver and traveling to and from Cali a couple times a year. Want to overland with a off-road trailer in a bit more refined vehicle.
Question is do I go for the Overland and if in future years I want to wheel a bit more hardcore I change axles for lockers and a few other items or just nab the Rubi now and less mods if I take it to next level in future.

aqualungs likes this.
Jeffzjeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
aqualungs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffzjeep View Post
Own a 08 JKU Rubi since new, have done the toughest trails Rubicon, Moab, Johnson Valley etc. moved to Colorado 3 yrs ago and last year considered selling JK for a JL Rubi., couldnít do it sheís a family member.

Now the Gladiator comes out my wife noticed one in the wild and loves it. Our daily beast is a 16 Dodge 3500 crew cab diesel 4x4 which now is over kill donít need the big truck anymore. Thinking of replacing truck for JT Rubi and use would be as our daily driver and traveling to and from Cali a couple times a year. Want to overland with a off-road trailer in a bit more refined vehicle.

Question is do I go for the Overland and if in future years I want to wheel a bit more hardcore I change axles for lockers and a few other items or just nab the Rubi now and less mods if I take it to next level in future.


If you plan to wheel it, me I would get a Rubi. Itís already built and warrantied. It had the right transfer case for it. Get your lift and tires and move to the fun stuff. Itís already purpose built for what you want.
If you like to tinker do a Sport or Overland.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m998dna likes this.

aqualungs is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
I made the decision to go Sport S, as I didn't need the luxo doodads of the Overland, and considered that I'd be using it much more on pavement than on trails, so the Rubicon seemed a bit, overkill for my uses. The front camera, the ultra low, low range is cool and all, but I'll tow a boat and go to the grocery store more than I'll use a front camera to pick a line through rocks.
Pepper45 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Jeffzjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
If you plan to wheel it, me I would get a Rubi. Itís already built and warrantied. It had the right transfer case for it. Get your lift and tires and move to the fun stuff. Itís already purpose built for what you want.
If you like to tinker do a Sport or Overland.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did a test drive in a overland on Saturday only JT the dealer had, my wife and I both were impressed. The interior was the upgraded leather and really liked the dash which was leather in lieu of painted metal which looks cheap, not sure if that option is available on Rubi.
Based on experience with our JK and wheeling adventures, I agree the Rubi. Might be best choice for the future.
aqualungs likes this.
Jeffzjeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffzjeep View Post
really liked the dash which was leather in lieu of painted metal which looks cheap, not sure if that option is available on Rubi.
The Rubicon is only available with the painted red (redical) or gray dash. But you can switch out the parts. The color you get depends on the color seats chosen. I've seen part numbers for the various dash panels in another thread...or maybe it was in another forum. They are available.
__________________
Current:2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Gone again: 1982 Scrambler -Same one I sold in 1996 - Rebought in 2016, just sold it again for a buncha $$$
2013 JKUR softtop - Gladly traded for a '16 GMC Canyon
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon purchased when they were first introduced
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Jeffzjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
The Rubicon is only available with the painted red (redical) or gray dash. But you can switch out the parts. The color you get depends on the color seats chosen. I've seen part numbers for the various dash panels in another thread...or maybe it was in another forum. They are available.
I was thinking that could be an option, my wife really liked the look and feel of the material in lieu of plastic/metal. I do agree with her, plus gotta keep her happy too.
thanks much for the info.
Jeffzjeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
suffolklou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 98
If you donít get the rubicon, thinking to upgrade later then you should get the tow package. That gives you Dana 44ís front and rear and is only about 1K.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jab1719 and RubiGobi like this.
suffolklou is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Jeffzjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolklou View Post
If you donít get the rubicon, thinking to upgrade later then you should get the tow package. That gives you Dana 44ís front and rear and is only about 1K.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For sure tow pkg. I will be doing some towing but didnt know it went to 44's on the overland. No option for lockers on overland correct ? I am trying to compare loading up overland vs Rubi but I dont think it will make sense. I know sooner or later I will be wheelin the JT more extreme in future anyway.
Jeffzjeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
RubiGobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 201
Coming from a JK Rubi owner - don't buy the Rubi unless you're going to leave it stock. I changed out the: suspension, wheels, tires, rock rails, soon gears, and the piece of shit electronic sway bar disconnect. Pretty much everything you pay extra for to buy the Riubi. In hind sight I would of been further ahead to buy a sport and change out the front axle for an aftermarket axle with more separation between pinion and caster angles. As far as the 4:1 transfer case - its annoying. Most of the time 4 low is way too low to be useful.
If it were me, I'd buy the Sport S, since they all come with Dana 44 front axles, and get the Max Tow package with the 4.10 gears. Put a 3.5" lift on it, some 35's, add lockers rear and or front depending on how much you actually wheel and call it good.
14rubi and aqualungs like this.
RubiGobi is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
RubiGobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolklou View Post
If you donít get the rubicon, thinking to upgrade later then you should get the tow package. That gives you Dana 44ís front and rear and is only about 1K.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All Gladiators come with Dana 44 front and rear. The Max Tow gives you the wider Dana 44's (same as on Rubicon) and 4.10 gears.
Jab1719, aqualungs and suffolklou like this.
RubiGobi is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolklou View Post
If you don’t get the rubicon, thinking to upgrade later then you should get the tow package. That gives you Dana 44’s front and rear and is only about 1K.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To be specific, he's talking about the Max Towing package. It's $995 and it's the best deal on the order sheet. Wide-track axles, 240 amp alternator, 850 watt cooling fan, 4.10 gears, unique fenders, heavy duty payload, 7,650 lbs. towing, the whole nine yards...

The regular towing package only gives you the class IV hitch and the engine cooling.

The standard Gladiator with NO tow package gets a class II hitch plate under the bumper so you can mount a ball directly to the bumper.

Also, keep in mind that Overland has a miserable payload rating. The one I test drove was stamped 1,053 lbs. on the door placard. Most Rubicons are only slightly better at 1,100 to 1,200 lbs. If you plan to overland, tow, or haul a family, it's very likely you'll run out of payload quickly. This is why the Max Towing package is so wonderful. It bumps you up to 1,500 to 1,600 lbs. of payload depending on options, which also makes it easier to reach the 7,650 lb. tow rating legally.
__________________
Current Jeep: 2020 JT Sport S, Firecracker Red, 8-speed, 3.6L, 0.75" RC level, 35" Patagonia M/T, AO Lonestar wheels, MAX TOW, M.O.R.E. dead pedal, Supernova V.4 bulbs
WXman is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:26 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
aqualungs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolklou View Post
If you donít get the rubicon, thinking to upgrade later then you should get the tow package. That gives you Dana 44ís front and rear and is only about 1K.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


The JT gets dana 44 front and rear stock, from what I read. So you should t have to add it. I will probably get a Sport and add lift and tires. I saw a Rubicon on a truck and it looks so much better on 33s. Actually all Jeeps do lol. Thy just donít look right to me on 32s or less lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
aqualungs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiGobi View Post
Coming from a JK Rubi owner - don't buy the Rubi unless you're going to leave it stock. I changed out the: suspension, wheels, tires, rock rails, soon gears, and the piece of shit electronic sway bar disconnect. Pretty much everything you pay extra for to buy the Riubi. In hind sight I would of been further ahead to buy a sport and change out the front axle for an aftermarket axle with more separation between pinion and caster angles. As far as the 4:1 transfer case - its annoying. Most of the time 4 low is way too low to be useful.
If it were me, I'd buy the Sport S, since they all come with Dana 44 front axles, and get the Max Tow package with the 4.10 gears. Put a 3.5" lift on it, some 35's, add lockers rear and or front depending on how much you actually wheel and call it good.


Good point!! That transfer case is for crawling and being on rocks. Too low for me too in Northeast Ohio. We have a lot of wet weather here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:41 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
RubiGobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Good point!! That transfer case is for crawling and being on rocks. Too low for me too in Northeast Ohio. We have a lot of wet weather here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the southwest on rocks and most of the time still too low.
aqualungs likes this.
RubiGobi is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
Newb
 
CaptainChazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hutto Texas
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
The Rubicon is only available with the painted red (redical) or gray dash. But you can switch out the parts. The color you get depends on the color seats chosen. I've seen part numbers for the various dash panels in another thread...or maybe it was in another forum. They are available.
Unless you find a Launch Edition and its leather wrapped
CaptainChazz is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #16
Newb
 
CaptainChazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hutto Texas
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffzjeep View Post
Own a 08 JKU Rubi since new, have done the toughest trails Rubicon, Moab, Johnson Valley etc. moved to Colorado 3 yrs ago and last year considered selling JK for a JL Rubi., couldnít do it sheís a family member.
Now the Gladiator comes out my wife noticed one in the wild and loves it. Our daily beast is a 16 Dodge 3500 crew cab diesel 4x4 which now is over kill donít need the big truck anymore. Thinking of replacing truck for JT Rubi and use would be as our daily driver and traveling to and from Cali a couple times a year. Want to overland with a off-road trailer in a bit more refined vehicle.
Question is do I go for the Overland and if in future years I want to wheel a bit more hardcore I change axles for lockers and a few other items or just nab the Rubi now and less mods if I take it to next level in future.
Been looking for a year to find something that excites me in the truck world to replace my 2016 Ram Longhorn 1500. I have to have a truck. Didn't know about the Gladiator so Jeep wasn't on my radar until I saw one on the street a month ago. Drove several and picked mine up on Friday absolutely no regrets so far! Used it as a truck several times yesterday.
aqualungs and Pepper45 like this.
CaptainChazz is offline   Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffzjeep View Post
Own a 08 JKU Rubi since new, have done the toughest trails Rubicon, Moab, Johnson Valley etc. moved to Colorado 3 yrs ago and last year considered selling JK for a JL Rubi., couldnít do it sheís a family member.
Now the Gladiator comes out my wife noticed one in the wild and loves it. Our daily beast is a 16 Dodge 3500 crew cab diesel 4x4 which now is over kill donít need the big truck anymore. Thinking of replacing truck for JT Rubi and use would be as our daily driver and traveling to and from Cali a couple times a year. Want to overland with a off-road trailer in a bit more refined vehicle.
Question is do I go for the Overland and if in future years I want to wheel a bit more hardcore I change axles for lockers and a few other items or just nab the Rubi now and less mods if I take it to next level in future.

Jeffzjeep, Here's the bottom line, if the Rubi is in your budget, get it.. It has options you might not use all the time, but when you do it's great to have.
And of course it's a Rubicon!

Plus the resell value of the Rubi will be better than the others.

The $55K plus price tag for a fairly equipped Rubi is a little steep, but there is a great option.

The Sport S with the Max Tow is fairly close to the Rubi as far as drivetrain, minus the lockers and transfer case. For $995 Max Tow option you get A LOT!

Most of the other options the Rubi has will be replaced anyway.
Tires and Rims, Suspension, Bumpers, Rock rails, etc..

All 4 models are outstanding..
Pepper45 likes this.
Green_machine1 is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
mazeppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Round House, OK
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
I made the decision to go Sport S, as I didn't need the luxo doodads of the Overland, and considered that I'd be using it much more on pavement than on trails, so the Rubicon seemed a bit, overkill for my uses. The front camera, the ultra low, low range is cool and all, but I'll tow a boat and go to the grocery store more than I'll use a front camera to pick a line through rocks.

I am also a on road driver (mall crawler). I would also go Sport S, except the Rubicon is available with "Remote Proximity Keyless Entry", "Premium LED lighting Group", and steel bumpers all are a must have for me. Though I have grown to dislike the Rubicon faux-vented hoods.

The Overland is out for me because of, no 4.10 axles, do not want the body colored fender flairs, and the subjective ugly Overland bumpers.
aqualungs likes this.

mazeppa is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC