Finally got an in Person look at Gladiator - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JT Jeep Gladiator Forum > JT Gladiator General Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Sasquatchewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LaPorte TX
Posts: 1,251
Finally got an in Person look at Gladiator

Houston auto show had a Black Rubicon Gladiator & i like it a lot. No price yet but they said to be released in a couple of weeks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F84F3CB8-7C14-44E7-8053-D3F77D241A30.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	4123535   Click image for larger version

Name:	5ACF8B66-CE63-4987-99C9-6051F52CA329.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	4123537  

Click image for larger version

Name:	59CBAA65-8418-4D20-BBC5-0664CCD4C74F.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	4123539   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF427F13-F213-45D2-A6F8-D6DC3BA4D38E.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	4123541  

__________________
Sasquatchewan
2014 JKUS with- MC Rocksport overland elite 2.5” lift, GenRight aluminum front bumper, Warn M8000S , Yeti smartsteer drag-link & tie-rod. Rock Hard patriot side rails. 285/75/17C Nitto Ridge Grapplers,AEV Borah wheels.hard rock rear bumper. 373 gears LS rear. Safaripal Aluminum fender flares, poisonsyder fenderliners.
Sasquatchewan is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 3,310
The black looks really nice. I'll be glad when they make their way to Dallas. Should be pretty soon.
Sasquatchewan likes this.

__________________
1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...
lindel is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 5,915
I have been looking at and test driving all the competitor mid size trucks. I have not been impressed other than the Chevy Colorado. That is a very nice truck with lots of features, including front and rear lockers on the Z72 edition. It will be interesting to see what the price point is going to compete. I built a Z72 Bison edition, which comes with skids front to rear and an off road system from AEV for just under $52K MSRP. I don't think Jeep even cares to compete with that price point, but we will see. I am looking forward to seeing a Gladiator in person.
__________________
98 TJ 4i in currie with Currie bars front and rear
2014 JKUR AMP"D,Ace slider,BFG AT/KO's 33's
Ace Tire carrier/ rear bumper,LOD Mid width front bumper

I love my country. That's why I despise the government.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
I too looked at other midsize pickups. Colorado/Canyon stood out for their solid feel, car-like ride and handling, interior comfort and overall refinement.

A fully loaded GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4X4 with 3.6 V6, 8-speed automatic, part-time/full-time 4WD, rear limited slip, 5.5 ft bed, tow package, remote start, heated leather seats, navigation, top-of-the-line sound, etc., goes for about $35,000 around here.

That’s one heck of deal for a comfortable, refined, solid truck with a regular sized bed.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
ztman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: central pa mountains
Posts: 2,257
Went to the auto show today. Sat in all the mid sized trucks. Not for me. GMC seats are very uncomfortable, legs were almost horizontal from seat to pedals.

Not much room in back seats of any of the mid sized crew cabs.

Ranger looked nice, but just a little small for my tastes.

Will be interesting to see the Gladiator
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money.

Sold Jeeps -68 CJ, 73 CJ, 80 CJ, 88 YJ, 95 YJ, 11 JK

Current Jeep 16 JKUWW
ztman is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: S.E. Pa
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Went to the auto show today. Sat in all the mid sized trucks. Not for me. GMC seats are very uncomfortable, legs were almost horizontal from seat to pedals.

Not much room in back seats of any of the mid sized crew cabs.

Ranger looked nice, but just a little small for my tastes.

Will be interesting to see the Gladiator
Philly Auto Show Feb 2-10.. get discount coupons from your local Jeep Dealer.
Sasquatchewan likes this.
__________________
Vaya Con Dios..2 JKU's both mbrs of Real Men Use 3 Pedals" Club..
Jay2011JK is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
I posted these photos on another thread of JT’s intro at the L.A. Auto Show last November

The truck is looooong! Notice the distance between the rear door and the fender; the spare tire tucked under the bed behind the axle


JT adds 1-foot to the length of the wheelbase and another 1.5-feet in rear overhang; yet the bed is still only 5-foot long


Rubicon with optional painted fenders and steel bumpers.


Notice integrated forward camera


Rubicon comes with Falken Wildpeak MTs standard; wheel design resembles that on JK Hard Rock


Overland is the equivalent to Sahara: comes with sidesteps, painted fenders and Bridgestone Dueler ATs. All beds are lined


Overland interior


Rear seats fold up to increase vertical cargo space


Rubicon with black fenders. Notice camera aimed at the tow hitch; license plate at center; tail-lights have straight outlines; giant Jeep badge. I’d prefer the rear handle be painted
Sasquatchewan and mjhjeepdude like this.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks for the pics!
aldo90731 likes this.
Slacker90 is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
MightyDana35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 540
It looks like it's kluged together with odd parts.
__________________
2001 Sahara, Hardtop, 4.0, 32RH
2.5" OME, Tummy Tucker, 31" KO2's
3.73:1, D35 w/ARB, D30 w/No-Slip
MightyDana35 is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
ZEN357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 262
Spray in Bedliner?
ZEN357 is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
I posted these photos on another thread of JT’s intro at the L.A. Auto Show last November

The truck is looooong!
Compared to what? To a Jeep unlimited, sure, but compared to the competition... is about the same.

I am looking at the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 in Bison trim... with the diesel engine. The Gladiator is about the same length +/- 6"... the difference being how the bumpers are setup on the Gladiator versus the Bison...

My main concern is how the pricing will be position... MSRP on the Chevy ZR2 Bison with the options I want and the diesel engine is 54K. I am waiting to see what the Gladiator comes at (and if they finally come out with the diesel)..

I am a bit concern on the pricing because the JLUR I configured is also around 54K MSRP (and that does not take into account what the diesel option will cost)... if the Gladiator is even higher, it is going to be tough for me to justify getting it...

Heck, I am still going back and forth between the Bison and the JLUR... and now the Gladiator is in the mix... at this rate and with my level of indecision, I might not be buying anything for another year...

Anyway, back to your comment... not much larger than the competition...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My JLU Rubicon -1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	4126229   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZR2 Bison-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	4126231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	4126233  
__________________
Drive safe!
Wachuko

'19 Colorado ZR2 Bison Diesel
'18 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (Son)/'19 Toyota Rav4 XLE AWD (Daughter)/'12 BMW X5 Diesel (Wife)
wachuko is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Compared to what? To a Jeep unlimited, sure, but compared to the competition... is about the same.

I am looking at the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 in Bison trim... with the diesel engine. The Gladiator is about the same length +/- 6"... the difference being how the bumpers are setup on the Gladiator versus the Bison...

My main concern is how the pricing will be position... MSRP on the Chevy ZR2 Bison with the options I want and the diesel engine is 54K. I am waiting to see what the Gladiator comes at (and if they finally come out with the diesel)..

I am a bit concern on the pricing because the JLUR I configured is also around 54K MSRP (and that does not take into account what the diesel option will cost)... if the Gladiator is even higher, it is going to be tough for me to justify getting it...

Heck, I am still going back and forth between the Bison and the JLUR... and now the Gladiator is in the mix... at this rate and with my level of indecision, I might not be buying anything for another year...

Anyway, back to your comment... not much larger than the competition...
Compared to Wrangler Unlimited. That’s what 99% of those of us on here drive. I agree, midsize trucks are longer than Wranglers.

Others may not mind, but I find my brother’ GMC Canyon a bit long for city parking. And even at that length JT still only comes with a 5-foot bed.

I’d expect the EcoDiesel to add $5,000 to whatever price Gladiator comes out at. That’s been about the going price for that motor on Rams and Grand Cherokees.

If you assume a JL Rubicon with the 3.6 V6, automatic transmission and a hardtop goes for $55,000, add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and you are at $60,000 without even taking into account whatever “premium” FCA will want for the pickup.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
Compared to Wrangler Unlimited. That’s what 99% of those of us on here drive. I agree, midsize trucks are longer than Wranglers.

Others may not mind, but I find my brother’ GMC Canyon a bit long for city parking. And even at that length JT still only comes with a 5-foot bed.

I’d expect the EcoDiesel to add $5,000 to whatever price Gladiator comes out at. That’s been about the going price for that motor on Rams and Grand Cherokees.

If you assume a JL Rubicon with the 3.6 V6, automatic transmission and a hardtop goes for $55,000, add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and you are at $60,000 without even taking into account whatever “premium” FCA will want for the pickup.
I just went to jeep.com.

Selected to build a Rubicon. 3.6, auto, hard top selected. $46,135.

I had to pretty much select every single option, including the turbo 4 cyl to get the price up anywhere near $55K. I topped out around $58K with the power top and the upgrade wheels.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4spd Atlas/D30/D44
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I just went to jeep.com.

Selected to build a Rubicon. 3.6, auto, hard top selected. $46,135.

I had to pretty much select every single option, including the turbo 4 cyl to get the price up anywhere near $55K. I topped out around $58K with the power top and the upgrade wheels.

This was my build:


JLUR - V6 - Ocean Blue Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint
Automatic Transmission
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Electronic Infotainment System Group
Steel Bumper Group
Hard Top - BlackBody Color Fender Flares
Stitched Leather Black Seat - Black Interior
Trail Rail Management System
Remote Keyless Entry
All Weather Floor Mats


Total: $55,090.00
aldo90731 likes this.
__________________
Drive safe!
Wachuko

'19 Colorado ZR2 Bison Diesel
'18 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (Son)/'19 Toyota Rav4 XLE AWD (Daughter)/'12 BMW X5 Diesel (Wife)
wachuko is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Super Dak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 653
Something about the Gladiator looked "off" to me, it just looks long. But I think it's just the rear doors. I understand that they probably used the unlimited doors for cost reasons and parts interchangeability, but if they used longer rear doors, it seems (at least to me) the proportions look better. This is just a quick cut-n-paste mock up I did in "paint" (didn't bother blending it), but it doesn't look off to me this way. Doesn't look like a Jeep school bus any more. But that's just IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	4126271  
__________________
"I've done things that I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are disgusting"
Super Dak is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This was my build:


JLUR - V6 - Ocean Blue Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint
Automatic Transmission
LED Lighting Group
Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Electronic Infotainment System Group
Steel Bumper Group
Hard Top - BlackBody Color Fender Flares
Stitched Leather Black Seat - Black Interior
Trail Rail Management System
Remote Keyless Entry
All Weather Floor Mats


Total: $55,090.00
Yup. Now add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and a $3,000 "premium" for being a pickup, and that should get you close to what FCA will likely ask you to pay: $63,000

For reference, a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4 with the 5.7 HEMI, Off-Road package, rear locker, 12" navigation, leather seats and panoramic sunroof lists for $62,000
wachuko likes this.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
Yup. Now add $5,000 for EcoDiesel and a $3,000 "premium" for being a pickup, and that should get you close to what FCA will likely ask you to pay: $63,000

For reference, a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4 with the 5.7 HEMI, Off-Road package, rear locker, 12" navigation, leather seats and panoramic sunroof lists for $62,000
You said Rubicon with the hard top, V6 and automatic. You said nothing about adding just about every other option.

As I showed you, a Rubicon doesn't have to be a $55K vehicle. It starts at $41K. Optioned with just what you brought up, it's still only $46K.

Entry point for the JT Rubicon will probably be $5K over the JLU, so it'll start in the mid $40's

Sure, you can get every option and it will go north of $60K. But it doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

And, keep in mind that you don't have to get a Rubicon. The base model JLU starts $10K less than the Rubicon. Entry price for the truck will most likely be in the mid to high $30's.

And while the diesel will be $5K over a manual trans V6, $2K of that will be upping to an automatic, meaning just the engine itself is a $3K premium. That's about what it was on the Grand Cherokee for just the engine upgrade. I don't see FCA making it so very much more for the Wrangler line.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4spd Atlas/D30/D44
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #18
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
You said Rubicon with the hard top, V6 and automatic. You said nothing about adding just about every other option.

As I showed you, a Rubicon doesn't have to be a $55K vehicle. It starts at $41K. Optioned with just what you brought up, it's still only $46K.

Entry point for the JT Rubicon will probably be $5K over the JLU, so it'll start in the mid $40's

Sure, you can get every option and it will go north of $60K. But it doesn't have to if you don't want it to.

And, keep in mind that you don't have to get a Rubicon. The base model JLU starts $10K less than the Rubicon. Entry price for the truck will most likely be in the mid to high $30's.

And while the diesel will be $5K over a manual trans V6, $2K of that will be upping to an automatic, meaning just the engine itself is a $3K premium. That's about what it was on the Grand Cherokee for just the engine upgrade. I don't see FCA making it so very much more for the Wrangler line.
I am responding to @wachuko 's post. He provided a build of $55,000.

For the record: FCA doesn't include the price of the transmission in the price of the engine option. For instance, if you select the eTorque motor for $1,000, it forces you to add the automatic transmission for an additional $2,000, adding a combined $3,000 to the price.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
I am responding to @wachuko 's post. He provided a build of $55,000. Give it a rest.
He responded to me. It's a multiple person conversation. Those are still allowed, aren't they? Or am I only allowed to quote you when you're responding directly to me?
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4spd Atlas/D30/D44
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #20
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dak View Post
Something about the Gladiator looked "off" to me, it just looks long. But I think it's just the rear doors. I understand that they probably used the unlimited doors for cost reasons and parts interchangeability, but if they used longer rear doors, it seems (at least to me) the proportions look better. This is just a quick cut-n-paste mock up I did in "paint" (didn't bother blending it), but it doesn't look off to me this way. Doesn't look like a Jeep school bus any more. But that's just IMHO.
You are making too much sense now... . It does look better, I agree.

It’s kinda funny that FCA goes through the trouble of creating different wheels, emblems and taillights for JT, but then it wants to save a few pennies by reusing the rear doors.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
And while the diesel will be $5K over a manual trans V6, $2K of that will be upping to an automatic, meaning just the engine itself is a $3K premium. That's about what it was on the Grand Cherokee for just the engine upgrade.
Difference is the Grand Cherokee already came standard with an automatic transmission. Wrangler and Gladiator have a manual trans standard. It was a $4,500 option on the GC

So if you're going to compare it to the V6 manual, it's likely to be near a $7k upgrade. Like aldo said, it will be $2k just for the auto trans, on top the $5k (?) for the diesel. Just like they do with the 2.0 Hurricane over the 3.6 Pentastar.
aldo90731 likes this.
__________________
Current: 2017 JKUR

Gone: 1998 Sport, 1987 YJ, 2000 Sport, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ View Post
Difference is the Grand Cherokee already came standard with an automatic transmission. Wrangler and Gladiator have a manual trans standard. It was a $4,500 option on the GC

So if you're going to compare it to the V6 manual, it's likely to be near a $7k upgrade. Like aldo said, it will be $2k just for the auto trans, on top the $5k (?) for the diesel. Just like they do with the 2.0 Hurricane over the 3.6 Pentastar.
I remembered pricing out a GC Limited and the diesel was a $3K upgrade over the Pentastar. I guess that was a few years ago and the price must have gone up. Or maybe it was the Ram 1500 I was looking at. I've slept since then so my memory is probably faulty.

The automatic in the JLU right now is a $2K upgrade. But he's already starting from a fully loaded model and nothing anywhere near a base model so that $2K transmission is already factored in.

And honestly, if all you're doing is fully loading up every option just to say that the vehicle is expensive, you're kinda shooting down your own argument. You can get close to double the price between a stripped base model and a fully loaded Rubicon with all the goodies. Looking at just the top price and using that to evaluate the whole line just doesn't make sense. Sure, a fully loaded model is out of the reach of a lot of people. But for half the money you can still get a Jeep and that's something that a lot more people can afford.

Sure, the JT will easily top out over $60K when you check every box. But you'll still be able to get a base model for somewhere in the mid to high $30K range.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4spd Atlas/D30/D44
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 8,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ View Post
Difference is the Grand Cherokee already came standard with an automatic transmission. Wrangler and Gladiator have a manual trans standard. It was a $4,500 option on the GC

So if you're going to compare it to the V6 manual, it's likely to be near a $7k upgrade. Like aldo said, it will be $2k just for the auto trans, on top the $5k (?) for the diesel. Just like they do with the 2.0 Hurricane over the 3.6 Pentastar.
Correct, when Ram and Jeep offered EcoDiesel, before the still-unfolding emissions case, it was a stand-alone $4,500 option.

The price of the —unchanged— 5.7 HEMI on Grand Cherokee has gone up from $2,000 to $3,300 now. Given FCA’s track record raising prices, I wouldn’t expect EcoDiesel to be priced below $5,000; after all, FCA has to pay for a new and improved emissions-defeating program.
__________________

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Shadowmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 815
Falkens look good under those Jeeps. Might have to consider a winter set of AT3/Ws

Hope their prices do not go the way of BFGs, Nittos and Goodyear Duratraks with the new distribution.
aldo90731 likes this.
__________________
RedRover - 2017 JKUR
Shadowmaker is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #25
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ennis, TX
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Compared to what? To a Jeep unlimited, sure, but compared to the competition... is about the same.

I am looking at the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 in Bison trim... with the diesel engine. The Gladiator is about the same length +/- 6"... the difference being how the bumpers are setup on the Gladiator versus the Bison...

My main concern is how the pricing will be position... MSRP on the Chevy ZR2 Bison with the options I want and the diesel engine is 54K. I am waiting to see what the Gladiator comes at (and if they finally come out with the diesel)..

I am a bit concern on the pricing because the JLUR I configured is also around 54K MSRP (and that does not take into account what the diesel option will cost)... if the Gladiator is even higher, it is going to be tough for me to justify getting it...

Heck, I am still going back and forth between the Bison and the JLUR... and now the Gladiator is in the mix... at this rate and with my level of indecision, I might not be buying anything for another year...

Anyway, back to your comment... not much larger than the competition...
My opinion is they'll have to keep the price competitive with Chevy, Ford and Toyota. The Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma and Ranger are their direct competition, and to be relevant they'll have to have similar pricing.
jeepers29 likes this.
__________________
1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...
lindel is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
The price of the —unchanged— 5.7 HEMI on Grand Cherokee has gone up from $2,000 to $3,300 now. Given FCA’s track record raising prices, I wouldn’t expect EcoDiesel to be priced below $5,000; after all, FCA has to pay for a new and improved emissions-defeating program.
Their 5.7 prices are all over the place. Even with the upcharge, on Ram an eTorque Hemi is still cheaper than a normal Hemi in the WK2/WD platforms.

Ram: $1,195 (+$1,450 for eTorque)
Grand Cherokee: $3,295
Durango: $3,995

I agree that it's likely the diesel will cost a minimum of $5,000 if not more.
aldo90731 likes this.
__________________
Current: 2017 JKUR

Gone: 1998 Sport, 1987 YJ, 2000 Sport, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dak View Post
Something about the Gladiator looked "off" to me, it just looks long. But I think it's just the rear doors. I understand that they probably used the unlimited doors for cost reasons and parts interchangeability, but if they used longer rear doors, it seems (at least to me) the proportions look better. This is just a quick cut-n-paste mock up I did in "paint" (didn't bother blending it), but it doesn't look off to me this way. Doesn't look like a Jeep school bus any more. But that's just IMHO.
I agree, but will add that the short JLU rear doors, makes one visually attribute cab space, to the bed space, making the bed look even longer than it really is.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1999 Cherokee Limited (w/ Up Country)
1987 Wrangler Laredo
[All custom ordered]
WaltA is online now   Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Super Dak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
I agree, but will add that the short JLU rear doors, makes one visually attribute cab space, to the bed space, making the bed look even longer than it really is.
Maybe to some, I guess (maybe even to most?), but I don't see it. Does the bottom (real) one here look like the bed is longer? Not IMHO. Does it look shorter in the top pic?
To me, the longer door just mitigates the "awkward" amount of cab space behind the small JLU rear door. Maybe just eliminating the large angled part at the bottom would be enough (I actually didn't make the doors a lot longer, maybe 2-4 inches?but did get rid of the larger angle on the bottom). On the unlimited, it serves a purpose (clearance for the flare) but on the Gladiator, it just saves them money (which I understand). But that's just my opinion as a casual observer (I don't want/need a four door pickup, and I don't see a two door Gladiator coming?) and I've been wrong plenty of times .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	4126785  
__________________
"I've done things that I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are disgusting"
Super Dak is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dak View Post
Maybe to some, I guess (maybe even to most?), but I don't see it. Does the bottom (real) one here look like the bed is longer? Not IMHO. Does it look shorter in the top pic?

Here is what I mean (I am not as good as you with Photoshop. ). The "awkward" extra amount of cab space gets visually attributed to cargo or bed space. That is what gives the Gladiator that 'wow, its long' look.


__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1999 Cherokee Limited (w/ Up Country)
1987 Wrangler Laredo
[All custom ordered]
WaltA is online now   Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Super Dak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Here is what I mean (I am not as good as you with Photoshop. ). The "awkward" extra amount of cab space gets visually attributed to cargo or bed space. That is what gives the Gladiator that 'wow, its long' look.
I kind of understand what you're saying, but then again I kind of don't . Agree to disagree, I guess (and I might be the only person that sees it the way I do.) To me, the bed never looks long, the cab looks long.
On this one, I left the door the same length and just eliminated the large fender clearance angled part. That alone helps a lot IMHO, so maybe the (my?) issue isn't with the length (or the "perceived" length), but the aesthetics of the door?
I'm sure people are sick of these paint door tweak pics, especially since it's basically ready for production. Sorry guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator 3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	4126879  

__________________
"I've done things that I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are disgusting"
Super Dak is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally back in a Wrangler!! Jarhead468 YJ General Discussion Forum 7 09-09-2015 10:25 PM
finally got my childhood dream ncpinball WF New Member Check In 10 01-21-2015 03:11 PM
Finally started Jrgarcia715 YJ Tech Forum 17 09-19-2013 07:26 PM
night vision.need help. cool idea. will it work correycinciyj General Jeep Discussion 32 02-27-2012 01:08 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC