Aftermarket Headers (2008 3.8L) - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Exhaust and Headers

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 246
Aftermarket Headers (2008 3.8L)

Hi all,

My exhaust manifold has cracked and I'm looking into new ones.

Which SHORT headers do you recommend?
Which brand?
What material?
Is it true that non-OEM headers will melt plastics inside the engine bay? I can't imagine this to be true. Would a hood cowl eliminate this likelyhood?
Do I just stay with stock headers which are like $150 for both???

Its an old jeep, and there's alot of rush on the exhaust system (frame is fine thank god). I'm going to have my mechanic take a look at the catalytic converter and see if its bad. IF it is, I may as well go for RIPP long headers.

omfgitsniko is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,227
I doubt you'd gain much, if anything, by installing any kind of aftermarket headers.


I'd probably just replace them with the cheapest alternative if it were me.

Prages is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
maddog2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by omfgitsniko View Post
Hi all,



My exhaust manifold has cracked and I'm looking into new ones.



Which SHORT headers do you recommend?

Which brand?

What material?

Is it true that non-OEM headers will melt plastics inside the engine bay? I can't imagine this to be true. Would a hood cowl eliminate this likelyhood?

Do I just stay with stock headers which are like $150 for both???



Its an old jeep, and there's alot of rush on the exhaust system (frame is fine thank god). I'm going to have my mechanic take a look at the catalytic converter and see if its bad. IF it is, I may as well go for RIPP long headers.

I think you should stick to OEM. Get the newer ones that don’t crack vs the older. You can tell the difference based on the price...:-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 JKU Sahara, 4.88 gearing, Centerforce 2 Clutch, 4" lift, 35" MT MTZ tires, K&N CAI, headers
maddog2020 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Wandell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,314
Does anyone make headers for the 3.8?
__________________
2011 JKU, 3.8v6, automatic, 2.5 inch lift, 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x9 Eagle Alloy 197 wheels
Wandell is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2020 View Post
I think you should stick to OEM. Get the newer ones that don’t crack vs the older. You can tell the difference based on the price...:-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Can you show me? I don’t see any on the major sites


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omfgitsniko is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
maddog2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by omfgitsniko View Post
Can you show me? I don’t see any on the major sites


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. The cheaper ones only show when searching 2007, not 2008. You want 4666024AF and 4666026AC.

Ian


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 JKU Sahara, 4.88 gearing, Centerforce 2 Clutch, 4" lift, 35" MT MTZ tires, K&N CAI, headers
maddog2020 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,069
Another vote for OEM
__________________
————————————————————————————
Fungun is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
thetravlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: north suburbs
Posts: 361
I love the headers on my 09
thetravlor is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2020 View Post
Interesting. The cheaper ones only show when searching 2007, not 2008. You want 4666024AF and 4666026AC.

Ian


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did the "old version" of these part numbers have the same part number? Or is there a specific distinction between the old and new part numbers?

I'm asking because the dealership has 4666024AF and 4666026AC. for 300 EACH, not including the gasket!

I'm gonna buy these from those online retailers, who state/claim its OEM Mopar 4666024AF and 4666026AC., but I want to know if I'm getting an "old version" which simply has the same part number.

I've found 4666024AF and 4666026AC. for 200 to 240 each.
omfgitsniko is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 246
for example,

4666024AF on Amazon is $121.95..... half off. This HAS to be the bad one right?

https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Exha...666024AF+mopar
omfgitsniko is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 246
do you guys think this website is legit?

$190 each. its PARTSMAVEN.COM.


https://www.partsmaven.com/mopar/oem...IaAkwVEALw_wcB
omfgitsniko is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
maddog2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,006
The part numbers change with versions, so if you’re really getting the oem MOPAR part with that number then it’s the newer version.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
2007 JKU Sahara, 4.88 gearing, Centerforce 2 Clutch, 4" lift, 35" MT MTZ tires, K&N CAI, headers
maddog2020 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepฎ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.