2014 JKU Random "dings"... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
xpkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 136
2014 JKU Random "dings"...

13K miles on 2014 JKU Sport. One 'extra' ding after normal dings when starting up, then an infrequent (once every couple of days) when driving. No dash lights warning lights turn on (that I notice). Although it seems to happen when vehicle is in gear but foot is off the gas. One time I thought I had stalled because I thought I saw the speedo and RPM's drop to zero, but when I went to start it back up, I noticed the RPM's at a standard idle level, so I don't even know if I really even saw what I thought I saw. The ding noise is real enough though. I am concerned it might be early warning of clockspring failure as indicated in this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/di...zy-610090.html

Anyone else had this?

xpkranger is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Stetson45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpkranger View Post
13K miles on 2014 JKU Sport. One 'extra' ding after normal dings when starting up, then an infrequent (once every couple of days) when driving. No dash lights warning lights turn on (that I notice). Although it seems to happen when vehicle is in gear but foot is off the gas. One time I thought I had stalled because I thought I saw the speedo and RPM's drop to zero, but when I went to start it back up, I noticed the RPM's at a standard idle level, so I don't even know if I really even saw what I thought I saw. The ding noise is real enough though. I am concerned it might be early warning of clockspring failure as indicated in this thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/di...zy-610090.html Anyone else had this?
I haven't dealt with this, but I have never known there to be warnings of clock spring failure, it just goes out and it's done from there. Look up how they work and a diagram of it and you'll understand a little better. Needless to say I think you can eliminate the clock spring as the problem, good luck

Stetson45 is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: OC in So Cal
Posts: 1,912
Have you reset the service notice system?
14Trailcrawler is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Ruski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 818
Most likely it's a warning ding that your oil change light is gonna light up soon.
Ruski is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
xpkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
Most likely it's a warning ding that your oil change light is gonna light up soon.
A pre-warning indicator? (I should probably change my oil though...)
xpkranger is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: OC in So Cal
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpkranger View Post
A pre-warning indicator? (I should probably change my oil though...)
Mine started that extra ding, no oil light.

I have been changing mine at 5,000 mile intervals.

Possibly a milage based warning if it wasn't reset at the last oil change.

Do the reset and see if it goes away.
14Trailcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 599
Re-tighten your battery negative terminal clamp. That will probably fix it. At least the random gauge/needle drop along with the ding.
__________________
2014 JK Sport B Hydro Blue - Rubi Swaybar w/Evo, 6spd, 3.73, Prem. Soft Top, AC, 32" tires
D-Man604 is offline   Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Stetson45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man604 View Post
Re-tighten your battery negative terminal clamp. That will probably fix it. At least the random gauge/needle drop along with the ding.
^Definitely, just because you can't move them doesn't mean that they're not tight enough
Stetson45 is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 179
this happened actually quite a few times but all during one day.

4 lo off roading(trail) 10mph ish - Brake, ABS, Traction came on and gone...
same day driving highway 60mph- speedo dropped and back up real quick, enough for me to catch it on the way back up but no abnormal issues with driving the jeep it self...

concerns me a bit..
__________________
2014 JKUR 6 spd --> 2015 JKU Auto-->2015 JKUR 6spd
JKURubicon is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:37 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ruski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKURubicon View Post
this happened actually quite a few times but all during one day. 4 lo off roading(trail) 10mph ish - Brake, ABS, Traction came on and gone... same day driving highway 60mph- speedo dropped and back up real quick, enough for me to catch it on the way back up but no abnormal issues with driving the jeep it self... concerns me a bit..
http://offroadvegan.com/2014/06/01/f...tree-in-jeeps/

Ruski is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
ding , random

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.