2017 ODB2 port does not stay powered on - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Sanders
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,745
2017 ODB2 port does not stay powered on

I have a LTE hotspot module that connects to the ODB2 port. I want to install wifi cameras and tether them to the hotspot but the ODB2 port doesn't feed permanent power to keep the wifi module on permanently. Anyone know of a hack to keep the power on?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

trailhunter is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,006
Most Chrysler dodge Jeep TIPM have one fuse that has three holes for the fuse legs
That one fuse can be installed in left and center hole or right and center hole
One position and cig lighter/power port is only hot with key in accessory or on but in other position the power port is always hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger84 is online now   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Most Chrysler dodge Jeep TIPM have one fuse that has three holes for the fuse legs
That one fuse can be installed in left and center hole or right and center hole
One position and cig lighter/power port is only hot with key in accessory or on but in other position the power port is always hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the swift reply Digger, trying to conceptualize this. Let me see if I can pull up a picture of my fuse box. So it is possible to somehow move then ODB2 to a different fuse that has constant on?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
trailhunter is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Most Chrysler dodge Jeep TIPM have one fuse that has three holes for the fuse legs
That one fuse can be installed in left and center hole or right and center hole
One position and cig lighter/power port is only hot with key in accessory or on but in other position the power port is always hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, think I get what your saying, so this means that there is a fuse for the db2 power where I can swap so its constant on?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
trailhunter is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,006
Nope a fuse in the TIPM to make power port not obd2 port stay hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digger84 is online now   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Nope a fuse in the TIPM to make power port not obd2 port stay hot


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shucks, does that mean that I make live wires in more areas than just the odb2? Fire/hazard concern? Sorry to ask silly questions but you piqued my interest, let me search the web to see what I can find about this.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
trailhunter is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 13,006
In the new world of can bus almost every module has constant battery power as things like radio are turned on by a digital bus signal not by a switched power wire


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digger84 is online now   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
I have a LTE hotspot module that connects to the ODB2 port. I want to install wifi cameras and tether them to the hotspot but the ODB2 port doesn't feed permanent power to keep the wifi module on permanently. Anyone know of a hack to keep the power on?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It should.
Pin 16 on the obd2 port comes straight from the battery through Fuse M30 It is not switched.


2017 wiring diagram:


Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	4188489
Bob Sanders is online now   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
It should.
Pin 16 on the obd2 port comes straight from the battery through Fuse M30 It is not switched.


2017 wiring diagram:


Attachment 4188489
Hmm okay, any reason why mine turns off after a while?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
trailhunter is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
Hmm okay, any reason why mine turns off after a while?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have no idea. Put a meter on it to confirm it's turning off.... but pin 16 DEFINITELY states "B+". That means it's straight from the battery.
Cummins_Powered likes this.
Bob Sanders is online now   Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Cummins_Powered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
I have no idea. Put a meter on it to confirm it's turning off.... but pin 16 DEFINITELY states "B+". That means it's straight from the battery.
Seems correct to me, my OBDII dongle for the "Torque" app is always on, even with the Jeep off.

Cummins_Powered is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.