Aftermarket Head units with OEM mic? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By deeve
  • 1 Post By RMY
  • 2 Post By limaynard
  • 3 Post By limaynard
  • 1 Post By RMY
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,617
Aftermarket Head units with OEM mic?

Is there any aftermarket HU/Radio that can use the OEM Bluetooth mic?
The OEM UConnect works so well and better than other AM Mics I have used in the past and its hidden, live that.

Wanted the ALPINE CarPlay unit but seems like you canít.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,470
Not directly, no.


If you're handy with a soldering iron you could make it work though.

Bob Sanders is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
5th4x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
Is there any aftermarket HU/Radio that can use the OEM Bluetooth mic?
The OEM UConnect works so well and better than other AM Mics I have used in the past and its hidden, live that.

Wanted the ALPINE CarPlay unit but seems like you canít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I have the Alpine iLX-107 and mounted the mic centered on top of the steering wheel column using double sided Gorilla Tape. Works great there, loud and clear, directly in front of driver. Possibly better than OEM location which is so close to wind from the window and roof opening with top off. Cord is probably long enough to mount in the OEM location if thatís what you really want. I recall reading in another post where somebody did that, mounting the mic under the OEM mic cover. Only downside to my location is the person on the other end can hear the turn signal clicker if itís on.
5th4x is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,617
Had that was in previous vehicle and hated it. Top down, doors off and doing 75, people hear me clearly


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Not directly, no.


If you're handy with a soldering iron you could make it work though.

Thanks. Rather not.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
deeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,040
I know you said you were not interested in soldering but here is a wiring diagram that might help someone who happens upon this thread.

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

It would be nice to find the other half of that connector so you could make an adapter to go from the OEM mic to aftermarket.
DIRT BOY likes this.
__________________
2019 Forester Sport. Missing my Jeep.
deeve is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 457
Something like this may do the trick:


iDatalink - Maestro - Search


Now I wonder if there's any lockable Molex that could turn the wiring into a plug-and-play event ?
Muffin Top is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Top View Post
Something like this may do the trick:


iDatalink - Maestro - Search


Now I wonder if there's any lockable Molex that could turn the wiring into a plug-and-play event ?

Maestro doesn't allow you to use the mic alone with an aftermarket head unit. It only gives you the option to enable/disable the ENTIRE unconnect feature (which has no direct relation to the aftermarket unit)
Bob Sanders is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
deeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,040
I Looked around the various sites and could not find the other half connector for the mic plug up by the a pillar. I bet you could make something though that would connect to the pins to make it work
__________________
2019 Forester Sport. Missing my Jeep.
deeve is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Maestro doesn't allow you to use the mic alone with an aftermarket head unit. It only gives you the option to enable/disable the ENTIRE unconnect feature (which has no direct relation to the aftermarket unit)


So I can keep Uconnect and use a AM head unit?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
So I can keep Uconnect and use a AM head unit?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With Exception to the 730N, Uconnect is it's own entity and is not connected to the stock head unit in any direct fashion, other than its display and screen for control. If you remove the stock HU then in theory (haven't tested it) Uconnect will continue to work. You will not however be able to display numbers, phonebooks and you will only have voice control.



If you wish to use Maestro then you will maintain full control over Uconnect and can continue to use it to its full extent. You must however choose a head unit which is compatible with Maestro.


You can use a select number of non compatible radios, but your uconnect features will be anywhere between limited and non existent.



List of compatible radios:


iDatalink - Maestro - iDatalink-compatible radios
Bob Sanders is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
With Exception to the 730N, Uconnect is it's own entity and is not connected to the stock head unit in any direct fashion, other than its display and screen for control. If you remove the stock HU then in theory (haven't tested it) Uconnect will continue to work. You will not however be able to display numbers, phonebooks and you will only have voice control.



If you wish to use Maestro then you will maintain full control over Uconnect and can continue to use it to its full extent. You must however choose a head unit which is compatible with Maestro.


You can use a select number of non compatible radios, but your uconnect features will be anywhere between limited and non existent.



List of compatible radios:


iDatalink - Maestro - iDatalink-compatible radios
I mean connect for phone calls and existing mic
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
RMY
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4
Realize this is an older post. But after reading I decided to use the included aftermarket mic in the stock location. Removed the actual mic from the cover. Inserted Alpine mic and covered the backside with electrical tape to limit noise. Works great. Had to increase mic volume on the head unit but works great.
RjB71 likes this.
RMY is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMY View Post
Realize this is an older post. But after reading I decided to use the included aftermarket mic in the stock location. Removed the actual mic from the cover. Inserted Alpine mic and covered the backside with electrical tape to limit noise. Works great. Had to increase mic volume on the head unit but works great.
I did the same thing, and it works and looks great. Thanks for the electrical tape tip...such an easy fix that I will do the same. I had a little gap that I was annoyed with.
TankJeepWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankJeepWrangler View Post
I did the same thing, and it works and looks great. Thanks for the electrical tape tip...such an easy fix that I will do the same. I had a little gap that I was annoyed with.
I 3d printed a new mic mount for stock location. I have a thread on here.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
DIRT BOY and RMY like this.
limaynard is online now   Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaynard View Post
I 3d printed a new mic mount for stock location. I have a thread on here.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
Make me one? LOL
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
Make me one? LOL
It may cost more to post from Australia. I can put the stl file on thingiverse (3d print Web site) and you could print one locally for a few bucks.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
limaynard is online now   Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:55 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaynard View Post
It may cost more to post from Australia. I can put the stl file on thingiverse (3d print Web site) and you could print one locally for a few bucks.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
That is awesome. Nice job.
TankJeepWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #19
RMY
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jeeper416 likes this.
RMY is offline   Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMY View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your mic looks same as mine. I designed the holder to ensure maximum efficiency and took about an hour to print.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk

limaynard is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.