Any harm with the use of coil spring boosters? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
sierradmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 326
Any harm with the use of coil spring boosters?

As expected, I hooked up my plow to the JK last night and the nose of the vehicle dropped about 2". I installed 18/58 coils for a slight height increase but I'm looking to regain an inch or so.

Without the addition of airbags or timbrens, has anybody used coil spring boosters? Obviously, this will not be permanently installed but rather only used when the plow is on.

https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Auto...ustomerReviews

Hopefully this won't turn into a "A jeep can't handle a plow discussion"

sierradmax is online now   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,445
If you go this route I would get one from a 4x4 company(example terra flex and others).. spacer lift.. not sure what side effects will happen with it lifted and no other corrections made when running a plow.

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
sierradmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
If you go this route I would get one from a 4x4 company(example terra flex and others).. spacer lift.. not sure what side effects will happen with it lifted and no other corrections made when running a plow.
Not interested in a spacer lift (i.e. something going between coil spring and perch). Instead, this is placed in the voids of the coil to reduce compression.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...juster-323.jpg

They can be easily removed, when the plow is off, rather than having to pull the coil out to remove the spacer between the coil/perch.
sierradmax is online now   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post
Not interested in a spacer lift (i.e. something going between coil spring and perch). Instead, this is placed in the voids of the coil to reduce compression.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...juster-323.jpg

They can be easily removed, when the plow is off, rather than having to pull the coil out to remove the spacer between the coil/perch.
In that case.. I would just live with the drop.. those things just seem like something is going to go wrong.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post
As expected, I hooked up my plow to the JK last night and the nose of the vehicle dropped about 2". I installed 18/58 coils for a slight height increase but I'm looking to regain an inch or so.

Without the addition of airbags or timbrens, has anybody used coil spring boosters? Obviously, this will not be permanently installed but rather only used when the plow is on.

https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Auto...ustomerReviews

Hopefully this won't turn into a "A jeep can't handle a plow discussion"
Those work by effectively removing coils from the spring thus increasing the spring rate. They work just fine and are perfectly safe. They might not however be as easy on easy off as you think.
Two things you might want to look at:
Sumo springs. They are effectively a compressible bump stop extension that acts as a second spring when under load.
The other is an adjustable coil spacer.

Final option is to toss cement bags (or other heavy items) in the back to drop it down, this will actually serve to increase your traction
__________________
*Often posts while drunk, responses and post after 6pm pst and the following 12 hours should never be taken seriously. You have been warned.
fuzzylogic_y2k is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
sierradmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 326
I ordered 4. Let's see how they work. I figure I could unload the coils and if need be, reverse the teeth on a strut compression tool, extending the coil, to slip these in & out.

sierradmax is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.